The Student Room Group

Raf medical & fitness test

Hi,

I've just completed my medical and fitness test so thought I would share the process with you all as reading other people's threads really helped me before hand.

So firstly the medical -

There was quite a back log so I actually waited around 4/5 weeks for mine after interview. Got to the medical and filled out a form with questions on health conditions etc. Ok now I know everyone says here capita is crap but it all really depends on the doctor you get. I was lucky to get a decent doctor which was my biggest worry! The medical ran smoothly but please note the hearing test was tricky so really concentrate on hearing those sounds. Anyway I passed and was told to wait for my afco to contact me for my fitness test.

Now for the fitness test -

I waited just under a week and got my date to to my local gym and carry out the test. Now in all honesty I thought I was fit and the test was going to be easy , it was the medical I worried about. Totally the other way round for me I just passed the fitness by the skin of my teeth! If you think you are fit enough you will be surprised, just keep practising till you can't practice anymore! Nice feeling of achievement though once you have caught your breath back and realised you have passed.

That's all really guys just thought I would share with you my experience. I'm waiting for
My afco to contact me next week to see what my next step is so hope anyone going through what I went through finds some useful info by reading this.

One question from me though for anyone else that has passed ... How long roughly do you wait till you go to Halton for 3 days and also will I now receive my potential start date or will that come later on?

Thanks in advance and good luck to anyone doing this :-)

Scroll to see replies

How much prep had you been doing on the fitness?

Was the 1.5M done on the treadmill and what were the settings like?

I had my medical on Thusday and passed it without any issue. I am a little worried about my fitness test. Moreso I injured my knee a few months back and have only in the past 3 weeks started running on it again so it feels like a race against time to get myself fit enough to pass the test.

In terms of getting your date for the fitness test how much notice did they give you?

Another worry about mine is getting time off. I work in a pharmacy where we have a rather small team so its difficult to get time off if someone is already off. Im going from sunday to sunday this week without a day off because of colleague on holiday and then another colleague is off the following week.
My advice to you would be train as hard as you can till they contact you because I got 2 days notice via email. If you have a bad knee mate they shouldn't have passed you at medical, maybe postpone it till your fit and ready. But by all means you know your body bro if you think you can do it then go for it! Wish you all the best.

If anyone on here is going for regiment gunner and has a prtc date could you inbox me and let me know how long you waited, cheers.
It wasn't a bad knee as in needed medical treatment.

Pretty much was doing fine on the fitness and had my pb back on the may day bank holiday. Tweaked it on the walk to work after hitting a pothole awkwardly. I was running late due to the two busses I had to get to get me part the way there. So I ended up wearing knee supports and taking enough time off from the cardio to allow it to heal properly.
Started back on it about 3 weeks ago and have been easing back into it. So its just trying to get back to the pace of things and get back to where I was quickly but balancing it out with not overdoing it.

So it was local enough to you?
Original post by 89cruefan
It wasn't a bad knee as in needed medical treatment.

Pretty much was doing fine on the fitness and had my pb back on the may day bank holiday. Tweaked it on the walk to work after hitting a pothole awkwardly. I was running late due to the two busses I had to get to get me part the way there. So I ended up wearing knee supports and taking enough time off from the cardio to allow it to heal properly.
Started back on it about 3 weeks ago and have been easing back into it. So its just trying to get back to the pace of things and get back to where I was quickly but balancing it out with not overdoing it.

So it was local enough to you?

Yeah was literally round the corner at my local gym mate, took all of 30 mins.
89cruefan - I was emailed saying my fitness test was the next morning. It was at a Nuffield Health fitness centre which was absolutely miles away. I did the run at a constant speed of 13kph on the treadmill and finished in 10:40.
Yeah mine was at Nuffield too but luckily it was round the corner from where I live. I had to run at 14.5 minimum to get the 2.4k in under 10.30 for regiment gunner ... It nearly killed me but got it in 9.58 in the end. need to up my fitness before prtc
Original post by irishelf1992
Yeah mine was at Nuffield too but luckily it was round the corner from where I live. I had to run at 14.5 minimum to get the 2.4k in under 10.30 for regiment gunner ... It nearly killed me but got it in 9.58 in the end. need to up my fitness before prtc

Is the fitness test at PRTC different for gunners? With a 9:58 run you should smash level 9.10 on the bleep test.
Yeah the fitness test I just did at the local gym was 10.30 minimum for regiment gunner , 20 press ups in a min and 35 sit ups in a min. I think prtc for gunner is different to yours but don't quote me on that. Also we do 32 weeks training in honington, think yours is a lot shorter and your based in Halton for training if I'm correct?
Yeah the fitness test I just did at the local gym was 10.30 minimum for regiment gunner , 20 press ups in a min and 35 sit ups in a min. I think prtc for gunner is different to yours but don't quote me on that. Also we do 32 weeks training in honington, think yours is a lot shorter and your based in Halton for training if I'm correct?

Yeah our training is 10 weeks at halton. I would have thought your prtc is at honington because one of the reasons for prtc is to get you used to the environment your are going to be training in.
I've been trying to find people on here that are going for gunner but haven't found anyone yet lol feel alone so far haha
Hi,

I've just completed my medical and fitness test so thought I would share the process with you all as reading other people's threads really helped me before hand.

So firstly the medical -

There was quite a back log so I actually waited around 4/5 weeks for mine after interview. Got to the medical and filled out a form with questions on health conditions etc. Ok now I know everyone says here capita is crap but it all really depends on the doctor you get. I was lucky to get a decent doctor which was my biggest worry! The medical ran smoothly but please note the hearing test was tricky so really concentrate on hearing those sounds. Anyway I passed and was told to wait for my afco to contact me for my fitness test.

I waited just under a week and got my date to to my local gym and carry out the test. Now in all honesty I thought I was fit and the test was going to be easy , it was the medical I worried about. Totally the other way round for me I just passed the fitness by the skin of my teeth! If you think you are fit enough you will be surprised, just keep practising till you can't practice anymore! Nice feeling of achievement though once you have caught your breath back and realised you have passed.

That's all really guys just thought I would share with you my experience. I'm waiting for
My afco to contact me next week to see what my next step is so hope anyone going through what I went through finds some useful info by reading this.

One question from me though for anyone else that has passed ... How long roughly do you wait till you go to Halton for 3 days and also will I now receive my potential start date or will that come later on?

Congratulations :smile:

Are you applying for an officer rank ?
and what role ? pilot , engineer , medic etc...
No mate regiment gunner yourself ?
Reply 13
Irishelf1992 try looking in eGoat for more info on gunners! They pretty much have evrything on there. ;-)
Cheers mate il have a look
Reply 15
Hi,

So firstly the medical -

You recieve your potential start date at the same time as your Prtc, both are subject to change. Waiting times vary usually you will hear within 6 weeks, but your dates will vary to everyone else.
Cheers for the info mate appreciate it.
Hi, I am applying to join the RAF and Navy and was wondering if someone could give a somewhat detailed account of what it involved for them please. As a female i understand the test will be dofferent ,but will you need to bend snd cough,have a gynaecological test, strip? Or does it depend on the dr?
Thanks for the help in advance
Reply 18
Hi LaraCroft, the application is pretty straight forward, obviously you submit your initial app online then, if successful, you will be invited to sit the AST (Airman Selection Test), when/if you pass that you will then have an interview. Again this is pretty straight forward, they ask you about your schooling various hobbies/clubs you may have been involved in, they go all the way through your schooling to present day, and what you're doing now. Should you pass that you will then be given a date for a medical. The medicals are done with an outside firm called Capita!
The medical is straight forward, and as a women, I am pleased to inform you no embarrassing or scary checks. They will ask you to strip to your underwear, but this is so they can see you body alignment, any scars etc! I think they also try to get women doctors for women applicants...I think!
You do a couple of press ups, some lunges, then some funny walks backwards and forwards.... then they check you heart beat, BP, hearing, chest capacity!
Don't worry too much if you don't pass first time, I think very few do! I was told my BP was too high and had to get a 24hr monitor from my doctor.... my BP was so fine my Dr wouldn't give me a BP monitor.... whole fuss, annoying but in the end, it all got sorted!
You pass your medical next up is the fitness.
Assuming you're in the same bracket as me, 19 - 29, you have to do 10 press ups, 32 sit ups and a 1.5mile run on a treadmill in 12.30mins or less!
Pass that, you're onto the PRTC (Pre-Recruit Training Course) stage.... which I am currently at.
Best of luck with everything, the womens application isn't that much different from the guys, if you're already fairly fit the fitness test is a doddle, just make sure you run on a treadmill a couple of times before the test as it can feel weird if you've never tried.
Any questions, you know where we are :wink:
Hey thanks for the reply.
Ok, well I have heard of Centrica so I hope all goes well. I should probably get started on the fitness aspect, I can easily do the sit and press ups, just need to figure out how long it takes me to run 1.5 miles. For Navy I am considering between Warfare and Logistics Officer, although I was told that If I wanted to progress as a lawyer within the Navy I would have to go through with Logisitcs. For the RAF I am still considering which roles to choose since there are so many; I quite like the sound of intelligence branch, aircrew branch and legal officer- but like any application for the military it can take a while; hence why I am applying for both so that in the end I can choose which one.

Is there anything you recommend doing in preparation for the apptitude tests?
Glad to hear the medical tests are not so bad as to give you nightmares for life. Do you get the results on the same day? And what happens if you fail the medical? Do they suggest you take a hiatus from the application, and resume it some months later?
For now these are all the questions I have :biggrin:
And yes, I am 21 so you were thinking along the right lines.
Thanks again

Original post by cypskat
Hi LaraCroft, the application is pretty straight forward, obviously you submit your initial app online then, if successful, you will be invited to sit the AST (Airman Selection Test), when/if you pass that you will then have an interview. Again this is pretty straight forward, they ask you about your schooling various hobbies/clubs you may have been involved in, they go all the way through your schooling to present day, and what you're doing now. Should you pass that you will then be given a date for a medical. The medicals are done with an outside firm called Capita!
The medical is straight forward, and as a women, I am pleased to inform you no embarrassing or scary checks. They will ask you to strip to your underwear, but this is so they can see you body alignment, any scars etc! I think they also try to get women doctors for women applicants...I think!
You do a couple of press ups, some lunges, then some funny walks backwards and forwards.... then they check you heart beat, BP, hearing, chest capacity!
Don't worry too much if you don't pass first time, I think very few do! I was told my BP was too high and had to get a 24hr monitor from my doctor.... my BP was so fine my Dr wouldn't give me a BP monitor.... whole fuss, annoying but in the end, it all got sorted!
You pass your medical next up is the fitness.
Assuming you're in the same bracket as me, 19 - 29, you have to do 10 press ups, 32 sit ups and a 1.5mile run on a treadmill in 12.30mins or less!
Pass that, you're onto the PRTC (Pre-Recruit Training Course) stage.... which I am currently at.
Best of luck with everything, the womens application isn't that much different from the guys, if you're already fairly fit the fitness test is a doddle, just make sure you run on a treadmill a couple of times before the test as it can feel weird if you've never tried.
Any questions, you know where we are :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest