The Student Room Group

Girls on the pill- do you still use condoms?

I was wondering if girls on the pill still use condoms when having sex in monogamous relationships? I have heard some couples use both but we really dislike condoms takes away the intimacy and the reason I went on the pill was to avoid them !
my boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years and we are both STD free so no need for condoms to protect against that. We use the withdrawal method most of the time (now going to start using it all the time) just to be a bit safer. I take my pill at the same time every day and have never missed one.

Just want to know if other couples on the pill dont use condoms ?

Scroll to see replies

Some do, lots don't.

If the pill alone isn't safe enough for you, you might want to consider something like the implant.
Reply 2
Original post by unprinted
Some do, lots don't.

If the pill alone isn't safe enough for you, you might want to consider something like the implant.

It is safe enough for me I take it religiously. Why would the implant be safer if I take it properly?Just from reading online a lot of people are like you have to use TWO methods of contraception not one. was wondering if the pull out constituted as a second method.
Cant imagine that people who are in serious relationships bother with condoms if the girl is on the pill, surely the pill is enough? its birth control!
Reply 3
I'm on the pill and me and my partner have never used condoms while together as we don't have to worry about STIs. I don't know many long term couples that still use condoms if the girl is on the pill, implant or injection.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Spock's Socks
I'm on the pill and me and my partner have never used condoms while together as we don't have to worry about STIs. I don't know many long term couples that still use condoms if the girl is on the pill, implant or injection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok glad to hear it. I thought that too but after reading online it seemed that everyone was saying to double up as some people get pregnant just on the pill, probably down to there own error. sorry if this is TMI but do you use the withdrawal method or not feel the need?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Ok glad to hear it. I thought that too but after reading online it seemed that everyone was saying to double up as some people get pregnant just on the pill, probably down to there own error. sorry if this is TMI but do you use the withdrawal method or not feel the need?

No, we have never used the withdrawal method.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
No, we have never used the withdrawal method.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right! which pill are you using, combined or mini?
Reply 7
I was originally on the combined pill, microgynon but I ended up getting bad migraines on it and high blood pressure so for the last three years I have been on the mini pill, Cerazette. Can't fault Cerazette. I was lucky to find a good pill for me so quickly as a lot are hit or miss.
Oh right! which pill are you using, combined or mini?
Reply 8
I was originally on the combined pill, microgynon but I ended up getting bad migraines on it and high blood pressure so for the last three years I have been on the mini pill, Cerazette. Can't fault Cerazette. I was lucky to find a good pill for me so quickly as a lot are hit or miss.

Oh right I am actually changing to cerazette next week from combined pill i hope it works as well for me as it does for you! Do you get periods? The reason I made this post is because when i researched cerazette loads of woman were saying they fell pregnant on it and it freaked me out
Reply 9
Oh right I am actually changing to cerazette next week from combined pill i hope it works as well for me as it does for you! Do you get periods? The reason I made this post is because when i researched cerazette loads of woman were saying they fell pregnant on it and it freaked me out

For the first 6 months I bled every month like clockwork like a normal period but now I can go months without any bleeding. On average I think I get a period on cerazette maybe every 3/4 months now. My doctor told me that its normal to bleed twice in one month, you can bleed normally like a period, you might bleed every couple of months or you might not bleed at all on it - basically any kind of bleeding on cerazette is classed as normal lol. It can be a bit difficult to get used to lack of periods especially if you find having a period every month reassuring to show you aren't pregnant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the first 6 months I bled every month like clockwork like a normal period but now I can go months without any bleeding. On average I think I get a period on cerazette maybe every 3/4 months now. My doctor told me that its normal to bleed twice in one month, you can bleed normally like a period, you might bleed every couple of months or you might not bleed at all on it - basically any kind of bleeding on cerazette is classed as normal lol. It can be a bit difficult to get used to lack of periods especially if you find having a period every month reassuring to show you aren't pregnant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah i see lol Im a bit confused if the periods on the mini pill are 'natural' because its not a controlled withdrawal bleed like the combination pill. Yeah I might get a bunch of cheap pregnancy tests off amazon to take every month to reassure myself
Ah i see lol Im a bit confused if the periods on the mini pill are 'natural' because its not a controlled withdrawal bleed like the combination pill. Yeah I might get a bunch of cheap pregnancy tests off amazon to take every month to reassure myself

Nah I don't think its a natural period as you don't ovulate on cerazette so its most likely just a withdrawal bleed like you get with the combined pill except its hard to predict when you will get the bleed with cerazette. I gave up trying to work out when I would bleed. I just carried sanitary towels with me everywhere just in case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah I don't think its a natural period as you don't ovulate on cerazette so its most likely just a withdrawal bleed like you get with the combined pill except its hard to predict when you will get the bleed with cerazette. I gave up trying to work out when I would bleed. I just carried sanitary towels with me everywhere just in case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh I see, I wasn't sure if it stopped ovulation all together as some of the old mini pills were unpredictable in that sense. I haven't had a period for 3 months because I ran 3 packs of combined pill together, but I was told to go straight onto mini pill when i finish this pack and not have a bleed. Do you know if that will make me have a period when I start the mini pill? Im worried I won't bleed and then I will just have a full womb sitting there that needs to be shed.
Also sorry, this might be totally illogical but there is no time whilst being on a pill where you are most 'fertile' in your 'cycle' and should be extra careful is there?
I was wondering if girls on the pill still use condoms when having sex in monogamous relationships? I have heard some couples use both but we really dislike condoms takes away the intimacy and the reason I went on the pill was to avoid them !
my boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years and we are both STD free so no need for condoms to protect against that. We use the withdrawal method most of the time (now going to start using it all the time) just to be a bit safer. I take my pill at the same time every day and have never missed one.

Just want to know if other couples on the pill dont use condoms ?

I'm not on the pill but I have a copper coil which is as effective as the pill. We either use condoms/withdrawal when I'm likely to be most fertile just to put my mind at ease (as I'm paranoid) but the rest of the time we don't.
Forgot to add I'm in a long-term relationship so we don't need condoms for STD protection. Most couples I know who are in long term relationships/married don't use condoms if the woman is on birth control.
Forgot to add I'm in a long-term relationship so we don't need condoms for STD protection. Most couples I know who are in long term relationships/married don't use condoms if the woman is on birth control.

hey thank you, I was wondering if withdrawal counts as an effective method as some people say its 70%-90% and others say it makes no difference because of pre-ejaculation?
hey thank you, I was wondering if withdrawal counts as an effective method as some people say its 70%-90% and others say it makes no difference because of pre-ejaculation?

Its nearly as effective as condoms when used correctly but can go wrong easily: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control/withdrawal-pull-out-method

We only use it as a back-up as I have a coil which is very effective on its own; I wouldn't rely on it as my only method of contraception
Also sorry, this might be totally illogical but there is no time whilst being on a pill where you are most 'fertile' in your 'cycle' and should be extra careful is there?

The pill primarily works by preventing ovulation so there isn't a fertile part of your cycle.
Its nearly as effective as condoms when used correctly but can go wrong easily: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control/withdrawal-pull-out-method

We only use it as a back-up as I have a coil which is very effective on its own; I wouldn't rely on it as my only method of contraception

Yeah thats what I use withdrawal as too, a back up! Just wondering if it was classed as an actual back up or if its useless, thank you for the link!

Quick Reply

Latest