The Student Room Group

Enough extra-curricular activities for Cambridge?

Is it worth my time applying for Cambridge? I have completed my AS modules last year and immensely out performed my expectations by achieving overall 4 A grades in physics, chemistry, biology and maths. I am now thinking of applying for natural sciences at Cambridge, but the only problem is I have limited extra-curricular activities that I can talk about in my personal statement. Another issue is my work experience isn't exactly related to the course; I did a week in my local pharmacy as that was my previous career path. What I do have is volunteer work in a nearby charity shop, membership in my schools student council, I am part of my schools maths mentor scheme, previous involvement in scouts ( I left when I began my A-Levels) Some extra physics classes with a Polish physicist who was good friends with my teacher; he did some experiments with a group of us which were beyond our curriculum but I had to stop going to these when it got closer to my AS modules. I have also been a member of my school chess club for two years and I plan to do wider reading around the subject (depending on responses..). I don't play any musical instruments nor do I partake in any sport but I do occasionally jog to keep in good general health. Is it possible to form a Cambridge worthy statement from what I do have?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi!

You did really well at AS! Congrats!

Extra-curricular's seem to be quite important for entry into Oxbridge. You seem to be /have been involved in numerous activities, however there are some things you could do to boost your applications.

(I understand that there is not a lot of time left until the application deadline...)

Tutoring children (I do that as part of my CAS programme and you can always talk about how it made you appreciate your knowledge... blah, blah...

Have you done the DofE or anything equivalent?

Entry school positions, e.g. Prefect, House Captain, member of a Charity Group?

Even if you don't have that many extracurricular activities, you talk about the ones you do have in your PS, including how it help you improve organisational skills, changed your views etc... Oxbridge likes that kind of stuff.

Good Luck!

Original post by S E L A W Z
Is it worth my time applying for Cambridge? I have completed my AS modules last year and immensely out performed my expectations by achieving overall 4 A grades in physics, chemistry, biology and maths. I am now thinking of applying for natural sciences at Cambridge, but the only problem is I have limited extra-curricular activities that I can talk about in my personal statement. Another issue is my work experience isn't exactly related to the course; I did a week in my local pharmacy as that was my previous career path. What I do have is volunteer work in a nearby charity shop, membership in my schools student council, I am part of my schools maths mentor scheme, previous involvement in scouts ( I left when I began my A-Levels) Some extra physics classes with a Polish physicist who was good friends with my teacher; he did some experiments with a group of us which were beyond our curriculum but I had to stop going to these when it got closer to my AS modules. I have also been a member of my school chess club for two years and I plan to do wider reading around the subject (depending on responses..). I don't play any musical instruments nor do I partake in any sport but I do occasionally jog to keep in good general health. Is it possible to form a Cambridge worthy statement from what I do have?
Actually contrary to the previous poster - Oxbridge (and other unis, but especially Oxbridge) don't care about extra curricular activities that aren't related to your chosen course. Focus on things related to NatSci like extra reading you can do, and talk about why that is interesting
Well done for your results! Extra-curricular activities hardly matter with Oxbridge - I went to Oxford and I only spent a couple of sentences in my personal statement talking about the musical instruments I play. As the above poster said, do as much as you can for your subject instead because thats what they're interested in. I wish you the best of luck!
Reply 4
Thank you all for your kind words and useful advice :smile:. My current plan is to watch some online lectures about relevant topics in chemistry and biology (I plan to go into the biological sciences) and to do wider reading around the subject. I have a particular interest in molecular biology but I am finding it difficult to chose the right book. I am thinking of looking up the the recommended reading for successful applicants and picking a book from there. However I don't want to appear cliche so I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Would it be better to try and find an applicable book by myself?
It's fine to use other people's ideas but make sure you make them your own and don't just copy. Plagiarism is very real. Have a look at reading lists for the courses you're interested in and read around those topics.
Original post by S E L A W Z
Thank you all for your kind words and useful advice :smile:. My current plan is to watch some online lectures about relevant topics in chemistry and biology (I plan to go into the biological sciences) and to do wider reading around the subject. I have a particular interest in molecular biology but I am finding it difficult to chose the right book. I am thinking of looking up the the recommended reading for successful applicants and picking a book from there. However I don't want to appear cliche so I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Would it be better to try and find an applicable book by myself?

I read some generic ones and some which I found on my own. I'd say read whatever you're most interested in, cliché or not!
If you're looking for a good book email the department that you're applying to, explain that you're interested in studying there and that you are looking for some relevant reading material and if they have any suggestions for good books.

That way not only do you find a good and relevant book, but the department also now knows your name and that you're keen.

Of you want bonus points (assuming you get to interview) read a couple of other books off the back of the one/s they suggest to you. Then in the interview you can say "I read the book, xyxyxyx, that I was reccomended by the department, and found xyz really interesting and am currently ready ABC book on that topic" - (or something along those lines)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending