The Student Room Group

Studying medicine in Spain

Hi guys, :smile:
I want to study medicine in barcelona next year, i'm a 23 year old Italian girl living in London for 2 years so far

Whats the procedure step by step from uned to be enrolled to the uni?

Do i need to take the pau? When do i need to go to uned website and start with the requested documentation? All the deadlines?

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Hello,

I'm in a similar situation as you. Have you heard anything or understand anymore than since you posted this? Please help
Reply 2
I need help too, I am considering applying to Pompeu Fabra university in barcelona and the restrictions and procedures for applying with A-levels are so complicated, I need someone with prior experience to help me
Original post by Aladdin5
I need help too, I am considering applying to Pompeu Fabra university in barcelona and the restrictions and procedures for applying with A-levels are so complicated, I need someone with prior experience to help me

I understand that I must request a credential from UNED which is quick and costs €105. But this is only the general phase of selectividad (PAU) and gives us maximum 10 points. We still need to take the fase especial which is a written exam to get more than 10 points, I don't understand how we do this? Because firstly I didn't study my a levels in Spanish so I don't know all the vocabulary for biology and chemistry etc. How do we proceed after obtaining a credential? And also, I haven't finished my a levels yet and there is no option on UNED page to ask for a "crendencial provisional" and use my predicted grades...
Reply 4
Original post by gcooney4
I understand that I must request a credential from UNED which is quick and costs €105. But this is only the general phase of selectividad (PAU) and gives us maximum 10 points. We still need to take the fase especial which is a written exam to get more than 10 points, I don't understand how we do this? Because firstly I didn't study my a levels in Spanish so I don't know all the vocabulary for biology and chemistry etc. How do we proceed after obtaining a credential? And also, I haven't finished my a levels yet and there is no option on UNED page to ask for a "crendencial provisional" and use my predicted grades...

Till now I just know nothing more than what you've written, but at the moment, I am contacting the UNED and Pompeu Fabra university admission office and these questions are included in my emails. I think that fase especial is an optional exam in which you can boost your overall grade but it is not mandatory.Another thing, after gaining your credential you can apply to any university in spain, you first contact the university, ask for the required documents, and then send them the credential statement with your application documents. As for the provisional credential I read once that UNED will give you a temporary credential to apply for universities and when your grades are obtained in August they will give you your original credential. If you know something other than what I've written please tell me.
Till now I just know nothing more than what you've written, but at the moment, I am contacting the UNED and Pompeu Fabra university admission office and these questions are included in my emails. I think that fase especial is an optional exam in which you can boost your overall grade but it is not mandatory.Another thing, after gaining your credential you can apply to any university in spain, you first contact the university, ask for the required documents, and then send them the credential statement with your application documents. As for the provisional credential I read once that UNED will give you a temporary credential to apply for universities and when your grades are obtained in August they will give you your original credential. If you know something other than what I've written please tell me.

The majority of courses are above 10 points around 12,7 for medicine and dentistry at some universities. Also even if you obtain AAA at A-level that will only be around 9 points. There is a conversion of points to grades on a website. However I'm not sure if GCSEs can boost the points up or if it is solely A-levels. Even in Spain most people take the fase especial because they are likely to not get the points that they want from selectividad (fase general). I've read there is a particular fase especial exam for foreign students but there isn't much difference between the real thing. My situation is that I am happy to take fase especial because I need more than 10 points for dentistry. However, I'm not comfortable taking fase especial in Spanish because I didn't study my a levels in that language so it would be difficult to answer the questions without vocabulary. Also the specification for biology is quite different because in bachillerato there are certain things that aren't taught in the English specification. I'm happy to begin a new course like dentistry and learn the correct vocabulary when I'm there but it's not fair to calculate my a level knowledge based on how I manage translating English to spanish
Reply 6
Original post by gcooney4
The majority of courses are above 10 points around 12,7 for medicine and dentistry at some universities. Also even if you obtain AAA at A-level that will only be around 9 points. There is a conversion of points to grades on a website. However I'm not sure if GCSEs can boost the points up or if it is solely A-levels. Even in Spain most people take the fase especial because they are likely to not get the points that they want from selectividad (fase general). I've read there is a particular fase especial exam for foreign students but there isn't much difference between the real thing. My situation is that I am happy to take fase especial because I need more than 10 points for dentistry. However, I'm not comfortable taking fase especial in Spanish because I didn't study my a levels in that language so it would be difficult to answer the questions without vocabulary. Also the specification for biology is quite different because in bachillerato there are certain things that aren't taught in the English specification. I'm happy to begin a new course like dentistry and learn the correct vocabulary when I'm there but it's not fair to calculate my a level knowledge based on how I manage translating English to spanish

I am almost in the same situation, so how could we even sit for this optional tests? In the embassy or what. I looked at a mathematics test sample and I realized that I have to learn some Spanish to understand how am I supposed to answer the questions. Could you please give me the link for the conversion thing? Anyways, Spain is a beautiful country and the course fees is incomparable to that of UK, so I think we should work a little bit harder and give it a try. Another thing, where else could we ask for assistance concerning credential procedures and tests? I tried to search a website for international students in Spain or something similar but I ended up with nothing
I have read that you can apply and register for fase especifica on UNED website it says "La UNED realiza los exámenes únicamente en español." Which would be a problem...
Many of the international students that attend spanish universities are those from international schools, there are lots of private british schools in spain that teach all international qualifications so the students can apply to anywhere in the world. I have just contacted a few of them asking if they can give me some guidance to what I need to do, I will let you know when they reply (not sure if they will help me given that I'm not one of their students).

The UNED website is a little bit confusing because I think they offer some courses of their own so when I look for information about "matriculacion" I don't know if its refereing to access to spanish university or access to their courses.
I have attached the conversion of UCAS points to points for spanish university. So yes I guess GCSE or anything that you can add to UCAS and gain points from will be applicable to your total point score.

I have looked at La Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (URJC) in Madrid which says their "matriculacion" for people with a levels or equivalent starts in october. I have a feeling that we don't need to take fase especifica because it says "alumnos con bachillerato homologado sin PAU" which is us that don't need to take fase general. However, when I emailed them and asked them about dentistry they said it would be essential that I took the fase especifica because it would never obtain the 11 points that they require.

I wish there was someone who had already gone through this process and could explain what they did. Becaue even if they described it, I would still be confused because we don't have the guidance that spanish students would get from their teachers. It also costs money so at this rate I won't be applying for anything until I really understand what I must do.
There are two types of applicants. People from Europe who have studied a similar qualification to bachillerato and they don't need to take the PAU (fase general) which includes sections on History of Spain ect. And those who aren't from Europe and must take the test to show that they know about Spain and the History ect. For them it must be really difficult and I'm sure only people who go to these international schools who have lessons and practice for selectividad will succeed here.

However, for us that don't need to take this test its very confusing because we can only get so far. We are given a credencial with up to 10 points so it could range from 5-10. But that doesn't get us very far because it limits us to certain courses if not only minority especially if we get only 6. And none of the universities have asked me if I can speak spanish and they email me as if its absolutely normal for a British student to be interested in Dentistry so there must be a way to do this.

I know that the private universities have a much more simple procedure all you have to do is fill in forms, give them some money and you're in. They teach you Spanish alongside your degree. Some private medical/dental schools even teach the first year in english so it appeals to international students. But there is nothing like this in the public universities which is because of funding ect. But I'm happy to go to a public university as long as I can apply and get in, I just don't know exactly how.
Hey guys,
I'm planning on applying to spain to study Medicine, I'm finishing my A levels this year.
So I'm just wondering, we wouldn't have to take the fase general right?
Also is the fase especial obligatory? And how exactly do universities choose which students to take?
I looked at the UNED website and it really confused me so I'll be phoning UNED tomorrow and i'll give you all the info I have.
I'm especially interested in the Universitat de Barcelona, but do you know if the course in in Catalan or Castellano?
And for the fase especial, it's in castellano too right?
Sorry for all the questions haha
Anyway yes I think you're right, Spain is a very beautiful country and would be great to live and study there....i'm kinda fed up of rainy old england
Reply 10
Original post by selenmer
Hey guys,
I'm planning on applying to spain to study Medicine, I'm finishing my A levels this year.
So I'm just wondering, we wouldn't have to take the fase general right?
Also is the fase especial obligatory? And how exactly do universities choose which students to take?
I looked at the UNED website and it really confused me so I'll be phoning UNED tomorrow and i'll give you all the info I have.
I'm especially interested in the Universitat de Barcelona, but do you know if the course in in Catalan or Castellano?
And for the fase especial, it's in castellano too right?
Sorry for all the questions haha
Anyway yes I think you're right, Spain is a very beautiful country and would be great to live and study there....i'm kinda fed up of rainy old england

Welcome to the thread selenmer!
We are all stuck in this stupid system, I sent emails for UNED and Pompeu fabra university admission office and I am waiting for replies.
No the fase especial is not obligatory, but it is obligatory in an indirect way actually, If you want to achieve 10 in spanish points then your 5 Alevels must be AAAAA, and even most courses require 10+ points so in a way or another you must sit for these exams to boost your overall mark. I think that Spanish universities will look into your application as a whole just like any university in the world, but of course there is minimum mark required. Hope we can all keep in touch so we could find a solution for this.
Welcome to the thread selenmer!
We are all stuck in this stupid system, I sent emails for UNED and Pompeu fabra university admission office and I am waiting for replies.
No the fase especial is not obligatory, but it is obligatory in an indirect way actually, If you want to achieve 10 in spanish points then your 5 Alevels must be AAAAA, and even most courses require 10+ points so in a way or another you must sit for these exams to boost your overall mark. I think that Spanish universities will look into your application as a whole just like any university in the world, but of course there is minimum mark required. Hope we can all keep in touch so we could find a solution for this.

Hey thanks so much for all your help!:smile:
Ok , yes I sent wuite a few emails to universities and they haven't replied so I think the best way to find out more quickly is to call them. I speak Spanish so maybe they'll give me answers more quickly by talking to them directly. But anyway i'll keep you updated.
Are you applying for medicine or dentistry?
Reply 12
Hey thanks so much for all your help!:smile:
Ok , yes I sent wuite a few emails to universities and they haven't replied so I think the best way to find out more quickly is to call them. I speak Spanish so maybe they'll give me answers more quickly by talking to them directly. But anyway i'll keep you updated.
Are you applying for medicine or dentistry?

Naah actually am applying for something different, I am applying for economics. Pompeu fabra university and university carlos III madrid have great reputations and very highly ranked worldwide in economics. Both universities teach economics courses in english so that is fine for me. Also I visited Barcelona once and I was overwhelmed by the city and the people were very nice so I think Spain is a country that deserves applying into. Are you applying for other countries than Spain and UK?
Naah actually am applying for something different, I am applying for economics. Pompeu fabra university and university carlos III madrid have great reputations and very highly ranked worldwide in economics. Both universities teach economics courses in english so that is fine for me. Also I visited Barcelona once and I was overwhelmed by the city and the people were very nice so I think Spain is a country that deserves applying into. Are you applying for other countries than Spain and UK?

Oh right! Yes Barcelona is such a beautiful city, I would love to study there. But I'm just worried about how I would fund my living costs, because apparently there's no form of student finance there right?
I may apply to Italy but for medicine unis generally accept like 30 international students. I was looking up universities in the czech republic which have courses taught in English, also the university of semmelweis in Budapest , so I might go for those , but right now I'm more focused on applying to Spain. So why are you applying abroad rather than staying in the UK?
Reply 14
Oh right! Yes Barcelona is such a beautiful city, I would love to study there. But I'm just worried about how I would fund my living costs, because apparently there's no form of student finance there right?
I may apply to Italy but for medicine unis generally accept like 30 international students. I was looking up universities in the czech republic which have courses taught in English, also the university of semmelweis in Budapest , so I might go for those , but right now I'm more focused on applying to Spain. So why are you applying abroad rather than staying in the UK?

Ahhhh actually I am from Egypt and I live there, so even UK is considered 'abroad' for me :P, I don't know much about medicine but why don't you look in netherlands, belgium, switzerland and germany. I hear that Germany has great medicine courses but of course you have to deal with the language barrier, I mean some german universities offer you a year to study the language then you start with your studies afterwards, also consider the cost of education in germany about 400 euros/semester which is nothing and there are many ways to fund your living costs. So how did you learn spanish or in how much time did you manage to learn it?
Ahhhh actually I am from Egypt and I live there, so even UK is considered 'abroad' for me :P, I don't know much about medicine but why don't you look in netherlands, belgium, switzerland and germany. I hear that Germany has great medicine courses but of course you have to deal with the language barrier, I mean some german universities offer you a year to study the language then you start with your studies afterwards, also consider the cost of education in germany about 400 euros/semester which is nothing and there are many ways to fund your living costs. So how did you learn spanish or in how much time did you manage to learn it?

Oh right cool! Yes I've been looking at so many countries in Europe, but it seems very difficult to apply. Really? So you think one year would be enough to learn the language well enough to study in it?
do you know anything about applying to Australia or New Zealand?
Well my mum is Spanish so that's why I can speak it haha
Anyway I really hope I get a place somewhere...my chances of staying in the uk don't seem that high:/
Reply 16
Oh right cool! Yes I've been looking at so many countries in Europe, but it seems very difficult to apply. Really? So you think one year would be enough to learn the language well enough to study in it?
do you know anything about applying to Australia or New Zealand?
Well my mum is Spanish so that's why I can speak it haha
Anyway I really hope I get a place somewhere...my chances of staying in the uk don't seem that high:/

I know nothing about Australia and New Zealand except that they offer great scholarships for international students and Australia also got some highly ranked universities. Yes I think one year is enough because you will be living in a German community so you will interact with people with the things you've learned in the german language courses so learning will be more efficient. Which universities did you apply for in UK?
I know nothing about Australia and New Zealand except that they offer great scholarships for international students and Australia also got some highly ranked universities. Yes I think one year is enough because you will be living in a German community so you will interact with people with the things you've learned in the german language courses so learning will be more efficient. Which universities did you apply for in UK?

Ohh ok, i'll check up on that, thanks:smile:
I applied to Cardiff, Bristol, Imperial and Nottingham, I got rejected from Imperial because my BMAT score was too low and I just got rejected from Bristol on Tuesday, I emailed them to ask why but they haven't replied.
Reply 18
Ohh ok, i'll check up on that, thanks:smile:
I applied to Cardiff, Bristol, Imperial and Nottingham, I got rejected from Imperial because my BMAT score was too low and I just got rejected from Bristol on Tuesday, I emailed them to ask why but they haven't replied.

Don't worry about the offers thing, I applied in early january and I didn't get any offers till now, hope everything goes well for both of us. So please keep me updated with your emails replies.
I applied for Dentistry to Kings College, Queen Mary and Manchester and I was rejected by all. I have an interview at Liverpool for dentistry and an unconditional offer to study Spanish. I hoped for more interviews to give me more than 1 chance of getting a place, which is why I am looking to apply for spanish universities because I speak spanish and I have the confidence to go live there which is something that probably the majority of dental applicants from the UK don't have

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending