The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Really Panicking Need Advice

im doing maths and managemnt first year at man uni but i hate the maths and cannot do it at all. I want to do management instead next year, like start over, but i emailed my tutor and he said to do that i have to pass this year but i dont understand as maths has nothing to do with it and i know i will not pass the maths element. Im so confused because i dont even see the point in going to my maths lectures if i definately know i am not capable of passing but then what can i do i just want to transfer. I really am feeling so lost, id realli appreciate your opinions or if anyones learnt from such an experience?
Reply 1
1. You ARE capable of passing. Do NOT psych yourself into thinking you're not.
2. If you stick with it, it will look much better on your record when you come to transfer over to management - and will show you're willing to persevere even when the going's tough. It's fairly standard for them to require you to pass your current year - this happened to someone who transferred from chem eng to physics.
3. Speak to your friends on the course, ask them to help/tutor you if necessary.
4. Speak to your maths lecturers, and tell them you're finding it difficult, they may have some helpful advice/office hours you can go to.
5. Keep going to the lectures! Don't feel you have to understand it there and then, just make sure you have a good set of notes. Try going to as many of the examples classes as you can as well, even if you haven't done the sheets.

And don't do anything in a rush that you might regret later :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Well, i am pretty good at maths. 89 and 87 in Add maths and Maths respectively in Olevels and have got 93 in Maths AS. Will be giving A2 this june. So, if you ask me.. The best way to become good at maths is by practice. No one is a born mathematician. So if you work hard and practice i dont see any reason why you should not pass.
Reply 3
looks like you have 2 choices

1. fail your first year and re-do management from the scratch.
2. pass this year and go on to management next year as your 2nd year.

why do you need to pass?
you might think Maths has nothing to do with what you want to do in your 2nd year. but it's because they cant put you into 2nd year having your failed the first year! This is regardless what subject you are taking in the 1st year. All 2nd yr stduents on management course will also have to pass their 1st yr to progress anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending