The Student Room Group

Should I do modules in German with my degree?

I'm starting my sociology degree in a few weeks with the option to do modules in a language (French/German/Spanish/Mandarin) as part of it. Since I did German at A Level and would like to carry on speaking it, if I do go ahead with this I'll choose German, and I think I'll be starting the language at degree level as opposed to beginner or whatever.

However I don't really want to carry on studying German... I feel like 7 years is enough.. :frown: I just really hate how languages are taught in schools, they're just made so dull and boring. I barely scraped a D in AS German (one less mark and I would have got an E - came out with a B at A2 but it took a LOT of motivation) and turning up to lessons felt like a bit of a chore.

I know every university is different, but what's it like doing a language at degree level? Is it purely just learning the language? Because if so I feel like I'd enjoy that. I just can't deal with doing poxxy exercises that feel as if they bear no relevence to what I am doing, as well as stupid role plays. Also the cultural topic aspect at A2 was tedious. Watching and analysing Goodbye Lenin! was good fun but reading Der Vorleser was the death of me, especially considering I barely read English books.

Please be honest with me, don't sugarcoat it if it sounds like I wouldn't enjoy it, because this is something I would like to do, but it's not the be-all and end-all, all of the optional modules I'm offered interest me. I'm still going to carry on practicing my German regardless, and I'm probably going to teach myself Finnish in my spare time too... although I don't expect to get very far with that. :redface:

Also, as a side question, is there any benefit to doing modules in a language at degree level, cosidering I already have an A level in a language. Just curious.

Bump. :frown:
Is there a possibility of studying one of the other languages, maybe as a beginner?
It looks good if you have some time of qualification in a language. You could be more employable as you have the ability to speak in more than one language

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kendellex
Is there a possibility of studying one of the other languages, maybe as a beginner?
It looks good if you have some time of qualification in a language. You could be more employable as you have the ability to speak in more than one language

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess I could pick up another language, but I feel like I'd get too confused since I'd like to pick up Finnish in my spare time. Plus the other languages on offer don't interest me that much.. :frown:

I already have a B in A Level German, so would there be any major benefit to having a degree in a language?/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending