The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Difference between Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences.

So I'm going to apply to Bath this year, and I wanted to know what are the differences between the mathematics course and the mathematical sciences. I really couldn't find something that outlines these courses exactly on the website. So now I'm just asking for the fundamental differences between them.
Thank you.
Original post by gagafacea1
So I'm going to apply to Bath this year, and I wanted to know what are the differences between the mathematics course and the mathematical sciences. I really couldn't find something that outlines these courses exactly on the website. So now I'm just asking for the fundamental differences between them.
Thank you.

BUMP!
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Thank you.

Hey, I'm going into my second year of Mathematical Sciences.

If you're talking about in general (for every uni). then I don't know what the difference is.

For Bath however, I do know that the Mathematics course has a lot less choice - you pretty much have to stick to pure Maths and you're only allowed to do some applied.

Mathematical Sciences, however, you can do all of the units that a Mathematics student can do, and more. You get a lot more choice in the second and third year.

I applied for a Mathematics degree but since both courses do exactly the same modules in the first year it's possible to switch courses, and so I did.
Original post by SeanFM
Hey, I'm going into my second year of Mathematical Sciences.

If you're talking about in general (for every uni). then I don't know what the difference is.

For Bath however, I do know that the Mathematics course has a lot less choice - you pretty much have to stick to pure Maths and you're only allowed to do some applied.

Mathematical Sciences, however, you can do all of the units that a Mathematics student can do, and more. You get a lot more choice in the second and third year.

I applied for a Mathematics degree but since both courses do exactly the same modules in the first year it's possible to switch courses, and so I did.

Merci beaucoup! That was exactly what I wanted to know. Then Mathematical Sciences it is for me!

How are you finding Bath? Pros and cons? Thanks again!
Merci beaucoup! That was exactly what I wanted to know. Then Mathematical Sciences it is for me!

How are you finding Bath? Pros and cons? Thanks again!

Woops, sorry. I should've mentioned what the options actually are!

Generally, they're econometrics/stats/mechanics/computing/finance. In the second year you have the choice of up to studying two first year Physics modules. I'm not sure how much Maths they have - I have a feeling it's more theory based anyway. (I opted for the 2 finance ones, one seems to have some maths and some theory, the other more theory). There are also some different ones in the third year, for example a 'teaching' type module where you create posters for a Maths fair for kids, or make a lesson and teach some Maths to kids, etc. Another module that sounds a lot like stuff from D1's Edexcel. (Graphs, nodes, etc).

The course is one of the reasons I really like Bath. The options in third year seem really interesting, and the second year ones aren't bad either. There's also an optional placement year, one which I have to start applying for placements now.. fun. And MathSci has been my saving grace - I realised I strongly dislike pure maths (because I'm not good at it), I'm a lot more into stats and hopefully finance.

The first year of the course was interesting. Like I said, whether you're on Maths or MathSci you do the same modules, so we all did Algebra/Analysis/Mechanics/Stats/Computing. Some bits were interesting, others were difficult. It's not the kind of course where everyone got A*A*A* and S in all 3 STEPs, it's not as difficult as I would imagine studying at Oxbridge to be, and I'm happy with the difficulty of the course.

The uni itself is quite nice, as are the people that go to it (mostly!). The campus has almost everything you need, looks nice, very clean, Bath is known for its safety and student satisfaction.

I can't think of any cons to be honest, even the cheapest accommodation (which I stayed in) wasn't bad at all.

Quick Reply

Latest