The Student Room Group

Medicine with Extenuating Circumstances- My Case

Hey everybody. So I finished my A-levels this year and I'm now in a big dilemma, now that I'm reapplying to medicine. It feels like my life has fallen apart this year and I'm confused on my next steps. :frown: But first I will give a brief over view of my 'stats':

GCSE: 8 A*'s
A-Levels (achieved): AA (biology and chemistry) and B (the B grade was in my 3rd A-level and was close to the grade boundary for an A)
UKCAT: 619

So here is my issue, earlier this year I had been battling with a diagnosis of clinical depression, and I know mental illnesses have a social stigma attached to them and tend to be overlooked but this was severe and impacted every aspect of my life, as well as manifesting as many debilitating mental and physical symptoms. This past year has been devastating, with the death of a close family member, another family member being rushed into emergency surgery and dealing with daily exam stresses as well as dealing with rejection from medical school, this past year hasn't been easy. I presume as a result of this, I was diagnosed with clinical depression and after a prolonged battle with this awful illness, I was finally returning to my old self and stopped therapy... I had overcome it! :redface: However it left a mark on my exam performance, and it had severely affected my exams in many ways.

Now I'm reapplying to medicine and I'm not too sure what to do, I feel so powerless and lost. So essentially my question is, What are the chances I will be accepted with AAB considering my extenuating circumstances? Is this a rare occurrence?

I do fully understand there are other paths to medicine involving GEM and taking a 3rd year of A-levels, but I am focusing all my energy into this pathway for now... Im just hoping you kind people could give me some advice on this pathway before exploring other avenues as they too present many problems for me.

Thank you so much for your help in advance! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
It depends on where you applied in the first case, which was where if you don't mind answering ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Winteriscumming
It depends on where you applied in the first case, which was where if you don't mind answering ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I don't mind at all. I applied to Bristol, Sheffield, Birmingham and Imperial. I got an interview from Birmingham. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Bump... Im a bit a desperate for advice guys. :redface:
Original post by FutureMed4321

The only thing you can do is contact universities and see if they would accept your extenuating circumstances. It may be a long shot however, as you don't fulfil the minimum requirements of AAA. Try and get it in writing too.
Is there a reason you can't resit that B? With your extenuating circumstances you would have a few schools you could apply to and might stand a better chance than just trying your luck with AAB.

Largely agree with what the people above have said although I think you would be better off resitting the B as you actually have a diagnosis for your depression, which should count as documentary evidence. With extenuating circumstances, most medical schools are willing to consider post-A2 resit applicants.

Have a look here for the resit policies of various medical schools: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies.

Some of them insist that you should have applied to them in the previous applicant cycle.

Also, if you have any contextual flags, Bristol does AAB offers for people from disadvantaged backgrounds, I think. I still think resitting is the best option though.

Good luck. :smile:
Original post by ForestCat
The only thing you can do is contact universities and see if they would accept your extenuating circumstances. It may be a long shot however, as you don't fulfil the minimum requirements of AAA. Try and get it in writing too.
Is there a reason you can't resit that B? With your extenuating circumstances you would have a few schools you could apply to and might stand a better chance than just trying your luck with AAB.

Original post by Hydeman
Largely agree with what the people above have said although I think you would be better off resitting the B as you actually have a diagnosis for your depression, which should count as documentary evidence. With extenuating circumstances, most medical schools are willing to consider post-A2 resit applicants.

Have a look here for the resit policies of various medical schools: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies.

Some of them insist that you should have applied to them in the previous applicant cycle.

Also, if you have any contextual flags, Bristol does AAB offers for people from disadvantaged backgrounds, I think. I still think resitting is the best option though.

Good luck. :smile:

Thank you very much for your replies, they are very helpful!

I would certainly consider a resit with the B grade but this does present problems in it self, the main problem being my school doesn't accept post year 13 resits. However, this is only a minor issue that can be resolved easily. But I would certainly prefer it if medical schools could possibly accept the AAB as my final grades... As this route is much simpler and convenient. Have you got any advice about taking this route? What if I got asked to present the case to medical schools I'm interested in, how would I make a good argument?

I do accept that I may have to take the resit route, but that's still a second option for me until I can fully explore this option and exhaust it before moving on. :smile:
Thank you very much for your replies, they are very helpful!

I would certainly consider a resit with the B grade but this does present problems in it self, the main problem being my school doesn't accept post year 13 resits. However, this is only a minor issue that can be resolved easily. But I would certainly prefer it if medical schools could possibly accept the AAB as my final grades... As this route is much simpler and convenient. Have you got any advice about taking this route? What if I got asked to present the case to medical schools I'm interested in, how would I make a good argument?

I do accept that I may have to take the resit route, but that's still a second option for me until I can fully explore this option and exhaust it before moving on. :smile:

You could check with other schools nearby if you could resit as an external candidate. That way you only take the exams you need to and can use the rest of the year productively (work experience etc).

Your extenuating circumstances mainly need to be presented in your reference (ideally from someone at your school) with supporting evidence (letter from Doctor etc) sent directly to the universities you apply to.

Unfortunately AAA is the lowest offer a UK/EU student without any contextual flags can get to study medicine in the UK. As far as I know, Bristol is unique in that it offers AAB to some people. There has also been a trend this year of people getting accepted into medical school having missed their offers by a grade and getting AAB instead of AAA but this is somewhat rare and one can only really expect that to happen if you have a conditional offer.

Whether your extenuating circumstances will get you an unconditional offer (i.e. your AAB grades get accepted) from the universities you're thinking of applying to is a grey area as it is largely at the discretion of the admissions tutors. There are threads on this website for resit applicants to medicine each year and the usual trend that I've noticed is that they apply to places like Exeter, Brighton and Sussex, UEA because they consider resit applicants with various stipulations (e.g. must have got AAB/ABB at first attempt) and most of the time are asked to resit to get the grades required. With Exeter, especially, their typical offer is A*AA - AAA but if you're a resit applicant, they will give you the A*AA offer instead of the easier AAA offer.

Also, you should look for centres that will let you resit as a private candidate. It doesn't have to be from your school as long as you use the same exam board.
Original post by ForestCat
You could check with other schools nearby if you could resit as an external candidate. That way you only take the exams you need to and can use the rest of the year productively (work experience etc).

Your extenuating circumstances mainly need to be presented in your reference (ideally from someone at your school) with supporting evidence (letter from Doctor etc) sent directly to the universities you apply to.

Okay thank you so much! I will definitely take that advice on board, that was my plans if it came to that. :redface:

Thats very useful thanks, I guess the best thing to do now is wait till tomorrow and call individual medical schools that will accept these grades and we can go from there... :smile:

Thanks!
Okay thank you so much! I will definitely take that advice on board, that was my plans if it came to that. :redface:

Thats very useful thanks, I guess the best thing to do now is wait till tomorrow and call individual medical schools that will accept these grades and we can go from there... :smile:

Thanks!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending