The Student Room Group

Sports Coaching Experience/Volunteering

I am considering my career prospects and have come across sports coaching. I play rugby already but ideally I would like to coach either cycling or swimming, however the nearest velodrome is about an hour away.

I have attended the Talent Inspiration Programme camp as a young Team Manager and I have some knowledge about becoming an effective leader within sport however I don not know about becoming a coach and gaining qualifications. Hopefully I can attend next year as a mentor or volunteer. I am unsure as to the minimum age (i am 15) but I have it as an idea for my DofE bronze award and i would love not only to achieve the award but gain experienxe in an area i am considering for my career.
Reply 1
The first place to stage would be to have a look at the specific organisations - so British Cycling and probably swimming.org/ASA, I'd say.

Coaching programmes will often include online modules these days, alongside face-to-face training days where you put that knowledge into practice (planning coaching sessions, risk assessments, warm-ups, techniques/skill development, etc etc). What level do you participate in those sports at currently?

In the meantime, if you don't already have a First Aid Certificate, that might be worth looking into as a starting point, because that will certainly be necessary at some point for coaching.

Quick Reply

Latest