The Student Room Group

Help for A2 English Literature Synoptic (AQA Unit 6)

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I know this thread hasnt been read in a while but i thought i would post in the hope someone could help me.. Has anyone got any blurbs of like world war one books and could tell me about some poems, because i havent had time to read very many and the exam is on friday!!
thanks
Have you tried Wikipedia? I'm not sure how reliable the content is, as it's added by volunteers, but it might be worth checking it out now as it's a bit late to start trying to read the books!

I think they have pages for Strange Meeting (Susan Hill), Birdsong (Sebastian Faulks), Regeneration (Pat Barker) and the film version of Oh! What a lovely War.

I've read the above (and watched the film), but I'm struggling to remember anything useful from them and I'm beginning to panic now. :frown:

Good luck to everyone.
Reply 42
what date is everyones exam?
Reply 43
hey, iv just bin lookn at evry1's notes. hvnt startd revision yet. exams like in 5 dyz. dnt knw wot 2 do any1 gt ny tips 4 me fnks.
Reply 44
sam_examz
hey, iv just bin lookn at evry1's notes. hvnt startd revision yet. exams like in 5 dyz. dnt knw wot 2 do any1 gt ny tips 4 me fnks.

Wider Reading!!! Poetry, novels and plays... you can't really do 1B without it! Make sure you know your quotes inside and out basically. Do loads of practise questions, plans... and most useful of all, do the whole coloured highlighters/flashcards/sticky notes thing!
Reply 45
annajane
Wider Reading!!! Poetry, novels and plays... you can't really do 1B without it! Make sure you know your quotes inside and out basically. Do loads of practise questions, plans... and most useful of all, do the whole coloured highlighters/flashcards/sticky notes thing!

i knw man, i tried lukn at sum bt me mind jst goes blnk wen they ask me 2 cmpre. i realy dnt knw hw u ment to approch da ?'s. nd wot da strctre is, lke hw u shud cmpre and contrst nd den brng in wdr readin. :confused:
pleeeezzeee help!!!!!!!!!

ano i realy shud av dne dis b4
Reply 46
For q. A, the main Assessment objective is arguing. So, basically read the question which will say something along the lines of "examine how the poets present the death of a soldier. Argue if you think....presents the horror of death and....presents it in a glorified light". Pick a stance. I find it's usually best to oppose the statements as it gives you more of an argument for your essay. Basically argue throughout using close language analysis etc. and you should be fine. You can't really do much revision for this as it depends on the extracts but I've revised a bit by looking at unseen poems in war poetry books such as 'Up the Line to War' and trying to get the jist of the poem. Then, looking the poem up on the internet to see if I was right about key themes etc.

For section B just get quotes for each theme and the different ways it's presented. I.e. Nature as the enemy (Exposure)/Nature as the victim (nature being destroyed by war). Yes, you need to know relevant quotes for comparison/contrast and to assess typicality, but don't focus your answer on the wider reading! It's meant to be mainly about your response to unseen extracts! Good luck, hope this helps a bit!
Reply 47
kerry-louise
Hey, I know this thread hasnt been read in a while but i thought i would post in the hope someone could help me.. Has anyone got any blurbs of like world war one books and could tell me about some poems, because i havent had time to read very many and the exam is on friday!!
thanks

hey pick say 5 poets in order to cover a range of themes including context and attitudes to the war, genre etc. Thats workin for me so im using poets Sassoon 'Glory of Women' and 'The Hero', Owen's 'Dulce est Decorum' and 'Exposure', compare to Jesse Pope, and Brookes poetry to cover the theme of patriotism. Sumhow get a copy of Remarque's: All Quiet on The Western Front it will cover the futility of war and the notion of a 'lost generation' plus the film is quite intresting
Reply 48
Quick q: how long would people spend on planning each q since their both worth the same amount of marks?
Reply 49
my teacher told us to spend 15/20 minutes-ish planning section A with an hour to write it and 45 minutes planning section b and an hour to write it.
ok av got the pre-release material now! woo..... its about talking heads and something to do with lentils...........
Lets discuss it :biggrin:
it is a dramatic monologue. what is a dramatic monologue lol?
Reply 52
dramatic monologue - when a character in a play has a prolonged speech addressed primarily to the audience, however, unlike soliloquies other characters may be present on stage at the time.
Reply 53
We don't get pre-release material?
What a fantastic thing to be doing for the synoptic paper! Bennett is so funny, and I'm really glad to have something that I'm already a bit familiar with. I'm so glad that we didn't get lumbered with something like historical fiction, 'cause when A History of the World in Ten and a Half Chapters was on a past paper I struggled so much. I'm half-looking forward to the exam now. :redface:
Reply 55
guyz my xamz lik on friday n im goin maaaaaaaaaaaaad!!!!!!!!!
sum1 sad sumfing bt prerealeased mats???!!!
is it english lit??:biggrin:
Reply 56
pre-released material??? come again? does this apply to the aqa synoptic too!!!
Reply 57
tanyaa
guyz my xamz lik on friday n im goin maaaaaaaaaaaaad!!!!!!!!!
sum1 sad sumfing bt prerealeased mats???!!!
is it english lit??:biggrin:

ohmg the day is looming closerrrrrr

we are the last year group to sit this then AQA are getting rid of it.
Reply 58
The pre release material is for the people going AQA English Lit Specification B.

us WW1 people are on Specification A and don't have pre release materials.

welll as far as i know...
Reply 59
xlarsx
The pre release material is for the people going AQA English Lit Specification B.

us WW1 people are on Specification A and don't have pre release materials.

welll as far as i know...

thanx for clarifying that was getting scared

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending