The Student Room Group

Universities with my predicted grades?

Hello.
I recently got AABC for my AS levels and I've dropped the C subject, which was maths which surprisingly isn't needed for my course

Predicted A* in Geography (got over 90%), A in biology and A in Chemistry.

I'm planning on applying for a joint honours degree of Economics and Geography and I'm unsure if the universities I'm applying to are too ambitious for my grades.

They are:
Birmingham - AAA
Exeter - AAA/AAB (I think, Flexible Combined Honours)
Leeds - AAA
Lancaster - AAA/AAB
Loughborough - AAB/ABB (Economics with Geography)

Are my choices too risky with my AS results or are they fine?
Thank you.
Original post by Peppercrunch
Hello.
I recently got AABC for my AS levels and I've dropped the C subject, which was maths which surprisingly isn't needed for my course

Predicted A* in Geography (got over 90%), A in biology and A in Chemistry.

I'm planning on applying for a joint honours degree of Economics and Geography and I'm unsure if the universities I'm applying to are too ambitious for my grades.

They are:
Birmingham - AAA
Exeter - AAA/AAB (I think, Flexible Combined Honours)
Leeds - AAA
Lancaster - AAA/AAB
Loughborough - AAB/ABB (Economics with Geography)

Are my choices too risky with my AS results or are they fine?
Thank you.

You will probably get 5 offers, but none lower than AAB unless you have special circumstances.
You need to look at WhatUni : http://www.whatuni.com/ - it has a great search facility using predicted grades.

You also need to know that grade ranges (ie. AAA/ABB) are where the lower grade offers will ONLY be made to certain applicants - usually 'contextual offers' for those from low performing schools or other disadvantaged backgrounds. If you dont meet this criteria (always check, never assume.....) you will get a 'standard offer' of AAA. Therefore, assuming you qualify for standard offers, you run the risk of getting all offers with identical grade requirements - very risky, since you could get no offers at all and/or nothing obvious as an Insurance choice if you dont achieve AAA next August.

So... you do need to read this TSR article, especially the bit about 5 choices and grades, : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_Avoid_Getting_5_Rejections
I would spread out your grade range a bit more. I agree you would probably get five offers, but they will all be very similar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending