The Student Room Group

GCSE Art vs Computer science!!!!!

Okay. I need to chose between the two and I don't know which.I was gonna take cs cause it's useful and might be important for my future career and because I'm a sciency type of person until I remembered I absolutely hated it and thought of switching it to art( something I actually like) but loads of people are telling me not to cause its too much work and that it's really hard, but I'm willing to put the effort in. Any opinions???( My other options are maths, double English, triple science, history and Spanish).
Reply 1
Original post by Tasha58
Okay. I need to chose between the two and I don't know which.I was gonna take cs cause it's useful and might be important for my future career and because I'm a sciency type of person until I remembered I absolutely hated it and thought of switching it to art( something I actually like) but loads of people are telling me not to cause its too much work and that it's really hard, but I'm willing to put the effort in. Any opinions???( My other options are maths, double English, triple science, history and Spanish).

I did both. Choose the one you enjoy the most, as they really won't benefit much.
Reply 2
If you don't like Computer Science, don't do it, but do remember that the workload in GCSE art is enormous compared to other GCSEs, and you need to stay on top of your work, but it does seem like an enjoyable subject, due to the small classes and the relationships built with classmates and the teacher.

Remember though, that your GCSE subjects don't entirely matter. Your definite subjects are the English Baccalaureate, so you can't get rejected by any universities on the basis of what you took for GCSE, and the worst thing that will happen is that an interviewer (if you decide to even go to university) will ask you why you took it.
Original post by Tasha58

Art was hell, even though I liked the actual subject, I hated the GCSE. Art was the lesson that broke me! It's not fun to be told that you have a crap tonne of work to do over the Easter holidays, and therefore hardly have any time to revise for the other 21 exams.

For me, art was the reason that GCSEs were more stressful than AS level. It made me hate drawing and painting 😂. I did well in the end, but it took a toll on my mental health.

If I were you, I'd keep CS since computers are the way forward in this day and age, and it will be less stressful I terms of work load. I wish I had had that option.

On the other hand, if you really hate CS that much, you might not do as well in it as you might do in art. You need a lot of skill and hard work to succeed in art, but if it's what you want to do, go for it. Don't let other people's bad experiences put you off. :smile:

-Good luck
Computer science as it will benefit you in your CV, but it is totally your choice.
Reply 5
if you like art more, do art. at the end of the day, you're going to do well in something you enjoy doing.
I don't do computer science but I do art, and after studying it for a year I can give my verdict. Art is, contrary to popular belief, a difficult subject. It is extremely time consuming and if you want to be hitting a top grade you will need to put a lot of time into it. Completing your sketchbook will require a lot of work but something to be wary of is the art exam. It's a 10 hour exam but requires a lot of preparation prior to it - time you will most likely want to be spending revising your other subjects. I had to do a lot of art over summer but it has paid off and my current target grade is an A*. If you really enjoy art and it is the kind of thing you would do in your free time then go for it. It provides a bit of relief in your otherwise stressful timetable and although it requires hard work, I've found my art class has a very laid back atmosphere.

Basically, unless you want to specifically be a computer scientist I would pick art as you enjoy it more. If you have any more art related questions feel free to ask and hopefully I will be able to answer them. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest