The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Is Furthermaths vital for Economics?

I am doing Maths, Physics, Economics A-level. Do I really need to do Furthermaths A-level to do Economics at LSE. If yes, can I do just AS level?
Reply 1
Original post by student1678
I am doing Maths, Physics, Economics A-level. Do I really need to do Furthermaths A-level to do Economics at LSE. If yes, can I do just AS level?

What is your reason for not wanting to do f maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by econam
What is your reason for not wanting to do f maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of people said it was hard on TSR. plus if that's the case I would much rather focus on Economics A-level which I haven't done at GCSE's. Plus I heard that the questions in the exams are not straight forward - like it isn't as evident what you have to do and requires a lot of thinking outside the box.
If I am wrong, then please share some light on this topic.
Reply 3
A lot of people said it was hard on TSR. plus if that's the case I would much rather focus on Economics A-level which I haven't done at GCSE's. Plus I heard that the questions in the exams are not straight forward - like it isn't as evident what you have to do and requires a lot of thinking outside the box.

Well you're going to need it for economics at a uni like LSE. Also further maths is manageable with hard work and practise I suppose.
Reply 4

Yes it is a hard A level but LSE recommend it as it equips you with the right skills for the course. If you don't want to be doing the harder maths in A level F Maths then you probably won't enjoy the degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Buses
Well you're going to need it for economics at a uni like LSE. Also further maths is manageable with hard work and practise I suppose.

So is the website info incorrect/misleading?
Reply 6
Original post by econam
Yes it is a hard A level but LSE recommend it as it equips you with the right skills for the course. If you don't want to be doing the harder maths in A level F Maths then you probably won't enjoy the degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not that I don't like maths. I just think If I do Fmaths, it will reduce my time working on the other A-levels, especially Economics which I havnt done at GCSE.
Not that I don't like maths. I just think If I do Fmaths, it will reduce my time working on the other A-levels, especially Economics which I havnt done at GCSE.

So? The majority of students haven't done Econ at GCSE, it's just not all that common.
Doesn't stop them taking FM.
You'll increase you chances of getting accepted by taking it no doubt, in terms of NEEDING it, I would say you do, but only to AS is fine. Well, I only did it to AS and got into LSE, and just finished my first year with a first overall and firsts in the maths and stats modules, although I felt I had to work A LOT harder than those who had done FM to A2
Reply 9
Original post by leinad2012
You'll increase you chances of getting accepted by taking it no doubt, in terms of NEEDING it, I would say you do, but only to AS is fine. Well, I only did it to AS and got into LSE, and just finished my first year with a first overall and firsts in the maths and stats modules, although I felt I had to work A LOT harder than those who had done FM to A2

Two questions. First: are there any economics student in LSE without further maths? Second: Is it possible to take further maths As in the second year?
Original post by JackFu
Two questions. First: are there any economics student in LSE without further maths? Second: Is it possible to take further maths As in the second year?

literally none now, and frankly if you cant hack further maths, you will never pass a maths based course which honestly at university economics is.

Its not at all like A level economics.
Reply 11
Original post by Realitysreflexx
literally none now, and frankly if you cant hack further maths, you will never pass a maths based course which honestly at university economics is.

Its not at all like A level economics.

I was originally applying to LSE but then my teacher told me FM is crucial so I am applying to King's College London and Cambridge. King's just require Maths but Cambridge said FM is recommended. Are you doing economics at Uni?
Original post by JackFu

I don't know any Econ students who didn't take Further Maths A level.

It's basically an unwritten requirement that you have to have it.
Original post by JackFu
I was originally applying to LSE but then my teacher told me FM is crucial so I am applying to King's College London and Cambridge. King's just require Maths but Cambridge said FM is recommended. Are you doing economics at Uni?

International Management, but am fully aware of what my friends who do economics go thru.

Quick Reply

Latest