The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by Atomicmat
It would be but how would you write 40 marks? 😩

Might be an 8 marker
I'm dreading the timing, we totally don't get long enough. There's a girl in my class who is allowed to type but gets an extra 30 minutes?! Where's the logic?
Predictions for Tectonics and Ecosystems essays? 😁
Reply 323
Original post by annabelflynn
For people doing Ecoyststems 40 marker, do you reckon fragile environments wont come up again so revise it less (as it came up last year)? I'm thinking maybe local scale or something to do with the tropical equotarial rainforest will come up as the 40 marker?

Hey I'm doing Ecosystems! They haven't repeated a topic before for the 40 marker (they did tropical biomes twice in a row but a different focus I think) so it's unlikely fragile will come up again, I'm going to go through it for links between topics but won't spend too long on it I don't think- also what did you think of last year's Ecosystems 40?

They haven't explicitly asked tropical biomes for a while so I'm also feeling like that could potentially come up, but am just curious as to whether they'd ask it like the whole nature vs human thing they did before or what a different focus could be, what do you think? Do you think there's any topic they haven't asked on before that could come up?
Original post by rzh21
Hey I'm doing Ecosystems! They haven't repeated a topic before for the 40 marker (they did tropical biomes twice in a row but a different focus I think) so it's unlikely fragile will come up again, I'm going to go through it for links between topics but won't spend too long on it I don't think- also what did you think of last year's Ecosystems 40?

They haven't explicitly asked tropical biomes for a while so I'm also feeling like that could potentially come up, but am just curious as to whether they'd ask it like the whole nature vs human thing they did before or what a different focus could be, what do you think? Do you think there's any topic they haven't asked on before that could come up?

Yeah I reckon it'll be something to do with a topical biome - we've had biodiversity and how we need to maintain it and the one about how human activity has altered vegetation characteristics as well as climatic conditions. I really can't think what else they can ask without asking the same things?
Anyone know how to properly answer 'To what extent' questions'?
The highest I've got with these questions is 26/40. Apparently I go into too much detail and don't actually answer the question.

I'm fine with the knowledge and stuff, but I don't exactly understand how to answer the 'to what extent'. Like, how do I word it...
Reply 326
Original post by Peppercrunch
Anyone know how to properly answer 'To what extent' questions'?
The highest I've got with these questions is 26/40. Apparently I go into too much detail and don't actually answer the question.

I'm fine with the knowledge and stuff, but I don't exactly understand how to answer the 'to what extent'. Like, how do I word it...

I usually evaluate "to what extent" by bringing in sustainability so saying for example it's successful to a great extent as it is socially sustainable because...
However, it is not 100% successful because although it's socially sustainable, it is not economically/environmentally sustainable due to...
And then you can give suggestions of how it could be economically/env sustainable.
Use terms like "great" / "limited" / " reasonable" extent so you're actually talking about "to what extent"
Also use counter-arguments. So for example you could be talking about a sustainable transport scheme and how it's worked well, then say how it's largely been successful etc but not 100% economically sustainable because it would be an expensive operation for people living in LEDCs as they lack the basic resources and wealth blabla
so although the scheme has worked in place X, it may not work in LEDCs as it is unaffordable and therefore inappropriate, hence leading us to question the credibility of the scheme.
Then consider some alternative strategies for LEDCs.

Always evaluate in terms of social/economic/environmental sustainability.

Hope that helps!
Okay I know this has been asked so many times, but everything is so jumbled up it's hard to pin point, will anyone be able to tell me some kind of predictions for:

Plate Tectonics,
Development and Globalisation,
Conflict - (my teacher said that Multiculturalism has not come up in a while, and sort of insinuated this may be a possible question, but that's how far it goes)

Thank youuu:smile:
Reply 328
I'm so confused for the world cities 40 marker..... could they specifically ask us about suburbanisation or counterurbanisation etc? I feel like theres not enough to write about for a 40 marker for them!
Hey hey,
Yeah I agree! Something to do tropical rainforest, maybe a question similar to the TDW 40 marker, so analysing whether the characteristics are more the result of human influences or natural - there's nothing else they could ask about it right??
Looking at all of the past papers, they've pretty much asked everything I think? They have repeated the TDW question quite a few times, so a repeated question may come up?

Last years 40 marker was a bit weird, threw me off at first but after thinking about it for a while it was okay! Fragile environments and conservation are my worst bits of ecosystems so the fact it came up last year (and hence prob won't come up again) makes me so happy!
For people doing the structured questions for Plate Tectonics, I've been having a look at all the past papers and the things that haven't come up include the structure of the Earth, movement of plates (convection currents and sea floor spreading), destructive and conservative plate margins and minor forms of extrusive activity. Do you think any of these could come up??

Also, volcanoes and earthquakes have come up quite a bit in the last two years, so maybe tsunamis and waves as the 8/10 markers?
For geog 4a I'm really unsure of what to put for this question
'Assess how useful you found your investigation for your understanding of geography' (12 marks)
We did our investigation on rivers
Reply 332
Original post by 142701
I'm so confused for the world cities 40 marker..... could they specifically ask us about suburbanisation or counterurbanisation etc? I feel like theres not enough to write about for a 40 marker for them!

They could but very unlikely, if it were to be on the that it would be the effects they have... So decentralisation of retailing which is the consequence of suburbanisation and counterurbanisation
Reply 333
Original post by annabelflynn
For people doing the structured questions for Plate Tectonics, I've been having a look at all the past papers and the things that haven't come up include the structure of the Earth, movement of plates (convection currents and sea floor spreading), destructive and conservative plate margins and minor forms of extrusive activity. Do you think any of these could come up??

Also, volcanoes and earthquakes have come up quite a bit in the last two years, so maybe tsunamis and waves as the 8/10 markers?

Yes 100% agree! Tsunamis hasn't featured for a while so wouldn't be surprised to see that! Any predictions on development and globalisation structured?
Original post by SJJ97
Yes 100% agree! Tsunamis hasn't featured for a while so wouldn't be surprised to see that! Any predictions on development and globalisation structured?

Great so i'll revise tsunamis loads then!
I'm not doing D&G for my other structured, doing World cities!!
Predictions?
Reply 336
What are the structured likely to be for development and globalisation?
Reply 337
Original post by SJJ97
They could but very unlikely, if it were to be on the that it would be the effects they have... So decentralisation of retailing which is the consequence of suburbanisation and counterurbanisation

ahh thankyou! and also, if we got a question about contemporary urbanisation processes as a whole, do u reckon we'd have to talk about every single one? I feel like there wouldn't be enough time?
Reply 338
Original post by 142701
ahh thankyou! and also, if we got a question about contemporary urbanisation processes as a whole, do u reckon we'd have to talk about every single one? I feel like there wouldn't be enough time?

Bearing in mind urban regeneration was a 40 marker last year I don't think they will re do it??
If anyone is doing weather and climate can you read this. You know we have to know international responses o global warming, E.g. Kyoto Protocol, would it be better to use the Paris Climate Conference from this year? As thats kind of old now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending