The Student Room Group

2016 Nursing Applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Hello! My names Hannah and I've been accepted at Southampton University for a PGDip in Adult Nursing. I currently live and work in Oxford as a Health Care Assistant.

I'm really nervous as I don't know anyone in the area!
Original post by littlehannah91
Hello! My names Hannah and I've been accepted at Southampton University for a PGDip in Adult Nursing. I currently live and work in Oxford as a Health Care Assistant.

I'm really nervous as I don't know anyone in the area!

Congrats! We have some nurses from Southampton at our trust and they're amazing xx
Original post by KoalaBoar
Congrats! We have some nurses from Southampton at our trust and they're amazing xx

Thanks! I'm really excited for the course but not so thrilled about moving away from home etc lol
Reply 23
hie all,

BRANCH: MENTAL HEALTH
Applying to: Anglia Ruskin, LSBU, NORTHAMPON,
Work exp: currently working in the NHS as a mental health support worker

currently working on my personal statement.
All the best guys..
Hi all,

Branch = adult

Uni = Bangor (North Wales)

Relevant experience - 9 years as a support worker in LDS / mental health in community hospital
- 4 years as a health visitor support worker
- currently a physio assistant in community rehab hospital

I'm a mature student (will be 40 when I graduate), married with 2 primary aged kids. I have ok GCSEs (including English and maths at C) good a levels (BBC) but an awful degree from 15 years ago (only got a pass as I basically didn't attend for my final year). Since then I have completed an nvq level 3, lots of e learning training though the trust as well as all my mandatory and I'm about to start k101, an open uni module 'introduction to health and social care' which is worth 60 credits.

Just making the finishing touches to my personal statement. Excited and scared about what may be laying ahead and really hoping my awful degree result doesn't put the uni off.
Hi sansarya, I've been advised by Bangor to get my application in ASAP, interviews are starting in November apparently. To be fair when I actually sat down and wrote it it didn't take to long, you have plenty of time. I have been thinking about it for months though. Have you been to an open day at Bangor? Do you have a first choice? Quite a difference between Bangor and Liverpool / Manchester 😃
Omg fairyegg dont thats stressing me out even more haha! Yeah I went to an open day a few weeks ago, have you? Bangor is my first choice:smile:
Hi all, at the risk of asking a dumbass question how personal should a personal statement be? I want to do adult nursing as a mature student at Staffordshire university. I wrote my personal statement today and cried for 3 hours as it is primarily about my current battle with cancer. I really want to do nursing and its now or never for me as I'm fast approaching the "wrong" side of 40. I'm hoping my personal statement wasn't too personal but where do you draw the line ???????
Reply 28
Original post by irishbroad
Hi all, at the risk of asking a dumbass question how personal should a personal statement be? I want to do adult nursing as a mature student at Staffordshire university. I wrote my personal statement today and cried for 3 hours as it is primarily about my current battle with cancer. I really want to do nursing and its now or never for me as I'm fast approaching the "wrong" side of 40. I'm hoping my personal statement wasn't too personal but where do you draw the line ???????

I would say show you have a passion for nursing, possibly mention the personal reason for it. But remember it needs to be focused on why you should be accepted and why you'd make a good nurse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree - I would obviously talk about this if it is a motivating factor but don't only focus on this. It should be primarily about why you will make an amazing nurse - about your skills, qualities and academic abilities - not just your motivation :smile:

Also, I'm so sorry you're having a difficult time, well done for being strong and pursuing your dreams - and the best of luck to you with everything. :smile:
Original post by amyc123
I would say show you have a passion for nursing, possibly mention the personal reason for it. But remember it needs to be focused on why you should be accepted and why you'd make a good nurse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thx for the quick reply. I think I managed to get across what I needed to but only time will tell x
Original post by ChancedTravels
I agree - I would obviously talk about this if it is a motivating factor but don't only focus on this. It should be primarily about why you will make an amazing nurse - about your skills, qualities and academic abilities - not just your motivation :smile:

Also, I'm so sorry you're having a difficult time, well done for being strong and pursuing your dreams - and the best of luck to you with everything. :smile:

Thx lovely, I do feel like I gave enough but sometimes I read it back and think when is enough actually enough ? I should be finished all treatment by Jan at the latest so I'm hoping to start then, will be submitting UCAS this week and need to ring the uni to ask a few questions but keeping everything crossed at the moment, I'm hoping they won't think I've got enough on my plate because I really need to do this x
@Irishbroad you are incredible. Even though I don't know you, I am very proud of you. I am sure you will be offered a place. :smile: x
Let the stress begin

:dancing2:

I will edit in details after I have sent my application
Thx lovely, I do feel like I gave enough but sometimes I read it back and think when is enough actually enough ? I should be finished all treatment by Jan at the latest so I'm hoping to start then, will be submitting UCAS this week and need to ring the uni to ask a few questions but keeping everything crossed at the moment, I'm hoping they won't think I've got enough on my plate because I really need to do this x

I'm sure you'll do great! Are you only applying to one uni?

I wanted to apply this week but my reference is taking months!! Haha
Reply 35
Original post by ChancedTravels
Hi everyone! :biggrin:

So now that the 2015 applicants are about to become real life student nurses, I thought we should have a thread for 2016 entry applicants. Applications are open and I for one am panicking already, so might be nice to have a support group! :tongue:

Let's all introduce ourselves!

Branch:
Uni(s) applying to:
Relevant experience/extra info:

I'll start...

Branch: Child Nursing

Uni(s) applying to: King's, LSBU, City, Kingston, Middlesex

Relevant experience/extra info: Hospital ward volunteering, teen mental health volunteering, sure start, worked as a tutor, supply TA, and have a job interview this week for a LD support worker role! Also got shadowing in a therapy clinic and a hospice coming up in October

Hey! Are you applying for BSc or PgDip? :smile:

I'm also applying for Child branch, PgDip.

Sent my form this morning (eeek!) my choices are Kings, LSBU, City, Kingston and Nottingham for an MSc. (So almost the same!)

In terms of experience I actually started out doing Adult Nursing when I left school but really didn't get on with it (due to a number of reasons) so been studying my Bioscience degree ever since, which I hope will be really useful as they don't teach you the same amount of Biology on the PgDip. Other than that I work sometimes for a private medical company as an event medic and I've done some voluntary youth events. As I'm in my final year I'm not sure I can commit to much more in terms of volunteering but I'm hoping I've done enough! Bit worried about how the unis will perceive me dropping out of my first course but I've talked about it in my personal statement and explained how I've gained more experience and know I prefer working with children and young people.

Fingers crossed I suppose! :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Branch: Child nursing
Uni(s) applying to: Surrey, Bournemouth, Anglia Ruskin ( i still need to find more options)
Relevant experience/extra info: working in schools/nurseries and care homes. not much tbh compared to you guys. :frown:
Reply 37
Original post by glo420
Branch: Child nursing
Uni(s) applying to: Surrey, Bournemouth, Anglia Ruskin ( i still need to find more options)
Relevant experience/extra info: working in schools/nurseries and care homes. not much tbh compared to you guys. :frown:

Don't worry too much about the experience! Showing you have the right personal qualities is most important I think. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
:smile: thanks. I'm so confused right now, you guys are already applying. I start my access course in January. I really don't know how it works. anyone know about access courses?
Original post by fc93
Hey! Are you applying for BSc or PgDip? :smile:

I'm also applying for Child branch, PgDip.

Sent my form this morning (eeek!) my choices are Kings, LSBU, City, Kingston and Nottingham for an MSc. (So almost the same!)

In terms of experience I actually started out doing Adult Nursing when I left school but really didn't get on with it (due to a number of reasons) so been studying my Bioscience degree ever since, which I hope will be really useful as they don't teach you the same amount of Biology on the PgDip. Other than that I work sometimes for a private medical company as an event medic and I've done some voluntary youth events. As I'm in my final year I'm not sure I can commit to much more in terms of volunteering but I'm hoping I've done enough! Bit worried about how the unis will perceive me dropping out of my first course but I've talked about it in my personal statement and explained how I've gained more experience and know I prefer working with children and young people.

Fingers crossed I suppose! :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you'll do great - they know that most people can't spend half their time volunteering!! I considered applying for PgDip but the funding is different so I wouldn't really have enough money, and also my undergrad is totally irrelevant so I think the science would be too hard for me! So I'm applying for BSc - we would probably still see each other though if we end up at the same uni! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest