The Student Room Group

Vet work experience

Hi there!
I'm an italian student wishing to apply for the Veterinary Medicine course commencing in 2016 but I've had difficulties in gaining work experience because, here in Italy, there are problems with policy insurance for students who are stil studying at the high school. I understand that this experience is essential in order to be considered for a place at the university. Could anyone of you describe me what kind of experience (also how many days or hours you spent) you managed to get in order to be offered of a place for Veterinary Medicine?
Thank you,
Eleonora
Original post by elevett
Hi there!
I'm an italian student wishing to apply for the Veterinary Medicine course commencing in 2016 but I've had difficulties in gaining work experience because, here in Italy, there are problems with policy insurance for students who are stil studying at the high school. I understand that this experience is essential in order to be considered for a place at the university. Could anyone of you describe me what kind of experience (also how many days or hours you spent) you managed to get in order to be offered of a place for Veterinary Medicine?
Thank you,
Eleonora

Are you wanting to study in the UK or in Italy?
Every get school is slightly different: here in the UK, based on my experience, the average for overall work experience is about 6 weeks and usually at least one or two weeks should be in a vets. The most vet experience you need is for Liverpool, which is 4 weeks spent in at least two different practices.
I think the best advice I can give you is try and get into two practices, preferably one large and one small (but I don't know how easy that is to do in Italy becuase I don't know much about your farming industry :frown:). A week in each should be fine. Alternatively, a couple of people I know did one day a week for maybe 4 hours a day in the same practice for a couple of months. That way, you'll build up a really good repor with the staff you work with and the amount of WEX you have will quickly build up.
I'm sorry I couldn't be more help, I don't know very much at all about vet education on the continent, but I hope this helps!:smile:
Reply 2
Thank you very much for your reply!
I want to study in the UK (I'd better write it I forgot).
In italy you dont need a vet work experience but you have to pass an admission exam.
Anyway maybe Ive found the way to get some experience in a vet lab but Im not sure yet.
Meanwhile, thank you again for your kindness! :wink:
Bye!
You need work on farms (lambing, dairy are good ones ), livery/riding school/stud, vets (large and small), animal husbandry such as kennels/cattery.

I am not sure if requirements for international students is different. I'd advise emailing the unis. Ask if they prefer some UK experience also.

Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thank you for your reply! :smile: I have already contacted them and they said it is essential to be considered for a place so I hope to manage something!
Bye
Eleonora
Original post by elevett
Thank you for your reply! :smile: I have already contacted them and they said it is essential to be considered for a place so I hope to manage something!
Bye
Eleonora

You can see my work exp details in my profile. I would advise 15+ weeks to remain competitive, variety is also very important.

I would just keep trying and keep looking!! You might also perhaps be able to come to the UK for work exp? Some farms in the UK have put me up for free (shared a room with another vet student and got 3 free meals a day) in exchange for labour. Camping/hostels might also be a cheaper option so you can travel about.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending