The Student Room Group

When should I attend uni open days?

I've just started year 12 and I'm not 100% sure when I should book open days at the unis I'm interested in. Should I go to them this year or should I wait until next year? I don't know what's most commonly done.
Go to as many as you can this year, next year you'll only have September and October for open days and then you'll have to apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by braedia
I've just started year 12 and I'm not 100% sure when I should book open days at the unis I'm interested in. Should I go to them this year or should I wait until next year? I don't know what's most commonly done.

literally go to as many as you can this year, next year when you have to do your ucas and your exams you will have no time at all for open days, i think i went to around 15..just book them all now!
Original post by braedia

Most people visit unis at the end of year 12, and maybe some at the beginning of year 13 as well. By next summer you'll have a good idea of what you want to study, where you want to go and also what you're likely to get at AS/A level - while at the moment you can't really tell what you'll get. Some people I know went at the start of year 12, but by the time they're applying (which is now, a full year later), they've forgotten their experiences, and the unis they visited often didn't match the grades they ended up getting.

Essentially - I recommend visiting in summer 2016, and that's the most common choice.
Original post by braedia

If you go to the open days next summer, they most commonly are around June - September, it will give you more than enough time to make your decision before putting in your UCAS application. In my experience the booking for these normally begin to open from February onwards, however, although you do need to book in advance, if you aren't do a highly popular or competitive course like medicine, vet med or law, you probably don't need to book quite that early, but beware some subject talks and tours do become fully booked.

EDIT: I would wait till next year as you will be clearer about which subjects you like, what you'll be continuing into A2 and it will help you know and decide which courses you can do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
if you have a good idea of what you want to study then go to some now - however the ones this autumn are aimed at students for 2016/17 entry, the ones in the 2016 summer are aimed for your year - there wont be much difference but there might be small changes in the modules you study
going to ones now could be beneficial but not nessecary - but def go to ones in the summer, most unis offer a service where you sign up they will send you emails when open days are avaliable for you!
Only went to one university open day and that was purely accidental.

In a Russell Group university now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by braedia

I would say go when you have time! The more universities you visit the better.
Reply 8
also, keep your eye open for taster days/courses which normally happen in the summer - they give a really good idea of how the course is actually taught and you get a real feel for the course/uni
A lot of the open days are also on weekdays, you don't want to be missing lessons this early on if you can avoid it. However, after exams sixth forms normally allow their students to take days off to visit universities as you have enough time to catch up with what you've missed over the summer.
Hello :smile:

I've come across this thread and thought I'd provide you with some useful information on the open days here at Anglia Ruskin.

Our next open day takes place on Saturday, 3rd October, therefore you do not have to worry about missing lessons from college/sixth form. Our open days give you a snapshot of the life here, and the information you need to make the right choice for your future.

You can expect to meet our academics and attend a course or faculty talk, take a campus tour* or even tour the student accomodation. This applies both at our Chelmsford and Cambridge campus for undergraduates and postgraduates.

To find out more about what happens on our open days, visit: http://www.anglia.ac.uk/study/open-day

Hope this helps :smile:

Charlie
ARU Official Rep

Quick Reply

Latest