The Student Room Group

Medicine Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by udeyomydays
lol i applied to QUB with a 625 UKCAT last year and got invited for an interview. For the record I got 6A*'s, 2A's and B at GCSE

Hmm. I got the 37/42 from here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths. Must be out of date then. But the OP still has to be careful because each year more and more people are applying strategically as opposed to shooting in the dark and hoping they don't miss - this is why I think Cardiff's cut-offs have been rising year on year (average applicant has more A*s now than in previous years).
Reply 21
Original post by Hydeman
Certainly not at QUB as they use GCSEs in conjunction with UKCAT score to shortlist potential interviewees. The way they do GCSEs is similar to Cardiff (they score the best nine) but they give 4 points for an A*, 2 points for an A and none for a B, giving a score out of 36.

The UKCAT score is then graded out of 6 depending on which of the six ranges yours falls into (OP's score would be a high 3). The two are then combined to give a score out of 42 and the cut-off is usually around 37 or 38 out of 42. So OP would have 29/42, which is way below any cut-off they've had in recent years.

OP, have you considered applying to any BMAT universities? Also, with your work experience, Bristol might be a shot (they don't use an entrance exam) but bear in mind that Bristol gives non-academics 80 percent weighting so you'll be up against a lot of other people with amazing non-academics who didn't get a very competitive UKCAT score.

I'm looking at Brighton and Sussex which uses BMAT. My strengths lie in written communication, I know I have a strong personal statement due to content eg experience etc and also the fact that I can write well. This will bode well in part of the BMAT too. I suppose I just need to be tactile when choosing where to apply. Have you any advice?
Original post by lilly24
I'm looking at Brighton and Sussex which uses BMAT. My strengths lie in written communication, I know I have a strong personal statement due to content eg experience etc and also the fact that I can write well. This will bode well in part of the BMAT too. I suppose I just need to be tactile when choosing where to apply. Have you any advice?

Yes. Have a look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths to see which universities emphasise those parts of your application that you consider to be stronger than average. I recommend applying to at least one BMAT university just in case the other universities you apply to have a lot of applications from people with high UKCAT scores. It's also important to note that you don't get your BMAT score until well after applying so unless you're very confident that you can perform highly on it, you shouldn't apply to more than one or two. :smile:

Remember, differentiating between applicants is no easy task for the admissions people because, invariably, they will all have top grades, work experience, voluntary, extracurriculars etc. So anybody who's obviously below average is likely to be one of the first rejections.
Reply 23
Original post by Hydeman
Yes. Have a look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths to see which universities emphasise those parts of your application that you consider to be stronger than average. I recommend applying to at least one BMAT university just in case the other universities you apply to have a lot of applications from people with high UKCAT scores. It's also important to note that you don't get your BMAT score until well after applying so unless you're very confident that you can perform highly on it, you shouldn't apply to more than one or two. :smile:

Remember, differentiating between applicants is no easy task for the admissions people because, invariably, they will all have top grades, work experience, voluntary, extracurriculars etc. So anybody who's obviously below average is likely to be one of the first rejections.

From your point of view, do you think there's any point in applying?
Original post by lilly24
From your point of view, do you think there's any point in applying?

I would say that there's no harm in applying but if I were you I'd also be preparing for a gap year as you're not the strongest applicant (sorry, not trying to be mean here) this year. Apply anyway because you never know, you might just get in. :smile: But if you get four rejections, don't panic, ace your A2s and UKCAT next year and apply in a gap year. You'll be in a much stronger position with a strong UKCAT and grades in hand (which is what I'm doing this year).
Reply 25
Original post by Hydeman
I would say that there's no harm in applying but if I were you I'd also be preparing for a gap year as you're not the strongest applicant (sorry, not trying to be mean here) this year. Apply anyway because you never know, you might just get in. :smile: But if you get four rejections, don't panic, ace your A2s and UKCAT next year and apply in a gap year. You'll be in a much stronger position with a strong UKCAT and grades in hand (which is what I'm doing this year).

Okay thank you. I'm wanting to take a gap year anyway, so maybe that's a better way to go. Did you apply last year?
Original post by lilly24
Okay thank you. I'm wanting to take a gap year anyway, so maybe that's a better way to go. Did you apply last year?

No, I'm taking a voluntary gap year for personal reasons. :colondollar: I have achieved grades of A*AAB in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Mathematics, respectively, so I'm in a better position than last year anyway, when I had BABB for my AS in those subjects, respectively.

Good luck with your medical aspirations. :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Hydeman
No, I'm taking a voluntary gap year for personal reasons. :colondollar: I have achieved grades of A*AAB in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Mathematics, respectively, so I'm in a better position than last year anyway, when I had BABB for my AS in those subjects, respectively.

Good luck with your medical aspirations. :smile:

Oh congratulations on those results! Well thanks for your time and advice, it's very much appreciated 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending