The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine

I didn't get the grades to get into UG medicine, so I was thinking of doing Computer Science (a course I would enjoy) and then applying for Medicine. Would I be at a disadvantage if I choose that over something like BioMed or Anatomy? Also, would it seem strange going from Computer Science to Medicine?
Reply 1
Hi, I'm a CS grad applying for GEM this year.

Original post by Laylee
Would I be at a disadvantage if I choose that over something like BioMed or Anatomy?

Not a disadvantage per se. The courses that you will be eligible for will view your first degree as a disadvantage. However, you will meet the entry criteria for far less courses with a CS degree than a biomed or similar degree. I would advise that if you want to be a doctor, then do a life science degree.

Original post by Laylee
Also, would it seem strange going from Computer Science to Medicine?

I've had a few quizzical looks, but as long as you can articulate why you wish to change careers then you will be fine.

Despite all of this, the future of GEM is very uncertain at the moment (look up the Shape of Training Review for further reading). There is absolutely NO guarantee that GEM will be around in 3 years time in its current form. Could you take a gap year and resit your A Levels (there are some unis that will accept resits)? Also, have you considered foundation courses or access courses?

Quick Reply

Latest