The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
Well for engineering it will be easy for you, very near the science site etc :smile:

They have an alright bar and it seems an alright place, altho the buildings are very concretey

Ian
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I love how people say that "It will be easy for you" because you're about 5mins closer to the Science Site than most other colleges lol :p:

To be fair, I did think this when I applied "Ooooh Trevs is close to the Geography department!!"

Then you realise, there's really nothing in it compared to the majority of other colleges in Durham! :rolleyes:

Otherwise, Grey is nice :smile:
Reply 3
Grey smells funny, I will keep saying this until they stop making it smell funny.
Reply 4
arkbar
Grey smells funny, I will keep saying this until they stop making it smell funny.

Mildert spread mumps in my first year (and they had to quarantine loads of people there haha).

This year, Collingwood spread mumps.

Nothing really happened in 2nd year :frown:
Reply 5
I don't really get who these planks are who don't get MMR or other shots before going to university, it's just daft.
Reply 6
Us aidanites definitely spread mumps last year!!! So dont any of you other colleges try and get in there with that claim! (college rivalry at its best!) (walkabout wednesdays at their best too!!!) x
Reply 7
arkbar
I don't really get who these planks are who don't get MMR or other shots before going to university, it's just daft.

Many of them are International Students who aren't able to get the MMR from the NHS when they get here, and haven't had it at home simply due to different policies and such over there.

That's what I heard anyway...because they are most prone to getting Mumps and can't do anything about it! Gutted! :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Yeah I remember there being a massive mumps epidemic in first year, non-mildertians weren't allowed into Mildert!! And a few people from every college got it too, they certainly did at Castle anyway.
Reply 9
God86
Us aidanites definitely spread mumps last year!!! So dont any of you other colleges try and get in there with that claim! (college rivalry at its best!) (walkabout wednesdays at their best too!!!) x

I have had MMR and had the booster before Uni and I still got mumps this term. Infact, everyone I know who's had mumps has had the jab so clearly, the gumph about it being rare for an jabbed up person to get mumps is a big, fat, hairy lie.
Reply 10
Nobody ever seems to choose Grey! (Well, except me it seems!) Anyway, steering the thread away from mumps (happens at every college), I'm a Grey student and I really like it. It's really friendly and down to earth too. Admittedly, one of the accomodation blocks does smell (the one they stick all the freshers in!) but it makes up for it as its great to have all the other first years nearby. Besides, you get used to it! The buildings are a bit concretey as someone put it but the rooms are ok, nothing special for first years but bigger than lots I've seen at other colleges. The bar is nice, has a pub feel, nothing too pretentious, the staff are friendly and helpful and people just like a chat! All the older students I've met have been great too, very inclusive. Only downside is the food - pretty dreadful, but that's the same at all catered colleges from what I've heard. You just put up with it for the fun of living in college! To be honest though, while I love Grey, all the colleges are actually nice in their own way - you could be happy in any of them (for example, don't believe what everyone says about Hatfield -there are some nice people there too!) Freshers week was good at Grey too. Anyway, I'll stop rambling - feel free to PM me if you have any questions, Grey students seem a bit of a rare breed on here!

Sophie
Reply 11
me an my boyfriend will be greys students next yr!! :smile:
Reply 12
Haha so far I must get mumps and live in stinky halls. Yum yum:biggrin:
Reply 13
linka1
I got pooled to Grey. Never heard of the college until yesterday haha (not really, I had heard of it just thought less of it), so will people tell me what the college is like relative to St Cuths, where I applied for first off.

Maybe this is a stupid thread, but I'd like to know where they want to put me for four years. I like the way they use 'vibrant' a lot in the prospectus and website :smile:

Woo Grey! (maybe) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Grey is a really great college - for some reason it seems to be overlooked - a few blank faces when chatting to people during the first couple of weeks from outside of college as if to say 'where the hell is that?'! But _So_ put it really well: it's location is great (right bang on science site, near library, bottom of hill), and it's a pretty informal college but with lots of spirit. It's definitely not the most 'concrety' college, and in the summer and autumn months it looks lovely with all pretty trees, etc, etc. It's also one of the most spread out colleges so we have lots of space (including our own theatre). The people are genuinely friendly (as they are in all colleges obviously) but we seem to come without any of the rumours or expected stereotypes. Although we're one of the more modern colleges, one thing I love is that we have traditional aspects as well, e.g. we wear gowns to formals, have pretty strict rules for formals compared with other colleges, an the fact that they aren't once or twice a week like other colleges means they remain really quite special, atmospheric events.

Okay, have rambled on a bit so will stop! But the best way is to come to the Open Day and find out for yourself... :smile:
Reply 14
Nobody ever seems to choose Grey
I think about 50% of Mary's scientist freshers were pooled from Grey this year.
Reply 15
Oh the rugby team like nakedness. Alot.

Latest