The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Interview Study Help

Hi!

Currently I'm studying for my upcoming interview for Chemical Engineering. So far I've been studying Chemistry (IB HL syllabus), Physics (IB HL syllabus) and Mathematics (A-Level syllabus), since these are the requirements for the course and thus I'm assuming they would be the basis for the interview.

But now due to time constraining circumstances, I'm going to have less time to study. So I feel that I should prioritize Chemistry, and just absolutely nail down all the topics, and then do as much Physics and Mathematics as I can afterwards.

I'm hoping that you guys can help me out here, does this seem like the right thing do to? At my previous interview for Chemical Engineering I was only asked questions about Chemistry, but this is no guarantee for my upcoming interviews (at Cambridge and Imperial). Also, if anybody knows any good topics that I should really focus on, I'd really like to know them!

All replies and feedback are greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by differential96
Hi!

Currently I'm studying for my upcoming interview for Chemical Engineering. So far I've been studying Chemistry (IB HL syllabus), Physics (IB HL syllabus) and Mathematics (A-Level syllabus), since these are the requirements for the course and thus I'm assuming they would be the basis for the interview.

But now due to time constraining circumstances, I'm going to have less time to study. So I feel that I should prioritize Chemistry, and just absolutely nail down all the topics, and then do as much Physics and Mathematics as I can afterwards.

I'm hoping that you guys can help me out here, does this seem like the right thing do to? At my previous interview for Chemical Engineering I was only asked questions about Chemistry, but this is no guarantee for my upcoming interviews (at Cambridge and Imperial). Also, if anybody knows any good topics that I should really focus on, I'd really like to know them!

All replies and feedback are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

There's not much actual chemistry in Chem Eng. You would be better to brush up on Maths & Physics.

Cambridge interviews are early December (assuming you are offered one...) so there's plenty of time. Most people haven't even applied yet...

Also check out
http://www.i-want-to-study-engineering.org

Edit to add: are you applying to Cambridge Chem Eng via NatSci or Engineering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
There's not much actual chemistry in Chem Eng. You would be better to brush up on Maths & Physics.

Cambridge interviews are early December (assuming you are offered one...) so there's plenty of time. Most people haven't even applied yet...

Also check out
http://www.i-want-to-study-engineering.org

Edit to add: are you applying to Cambridge Chem Eng via NatSci or Engineering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply!

I'm applying via NatSci, and it says that I will have 2 interviews, 1 with Chemists and the other with Chemical Engineers.

I totally agree with you that there's not much Chemistry in ChemEng, but I still feel that the interview will be focused on Chemistry, but that's just from the 1 interview I had last year. But since it does say that I'll be interviewed by Chemists and Chemical Engineers, I'm inclined to say that Chemistry is going to be more important than Physics and Mathematics for the interview. Does this seem like a fair assumption? I'll have all the time in the world after the interview to study Physics and Mathematics in depth.

Also, would you say that it's important that I study Further Mathematics for the interview?

Inevitably I am going to have to study some Physics and Mathematics, as I would hate to go into the interview and get a Physics or Mathematics question. But I'm definitely gonna finish the Chemistry syllabus first!
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply!

I'm applying via NatSci, and it says that I will have 2 interviews, 1 with Chemists and the other with Chemical Engineers.

I totally agree with you that there's not much Chemistry in ChemEng, but I still feel that the interview will be focused on Chemistry, but that's just from the 1 interview I had last year. But since it does say that I'll be interviewed by Chemists and Chemical Engineers, I'm inclined to say that Chemistry is going to be more important than Physics and Mathematics for the interview. Does this seem like a fair assumption? I'll have all the time in the world after the interview to study Physics and Mathematics in depth.

Also, would you say that it's important that I study Further Mathematics for the interview?

Inevitably I am going to have to study some Physics and Mathematics, as I would hate to go into the interview and get a Physics or Mathematics question. But I'm definitely gonna finish the Chemistry syllabus first!

If you applied via Engineering you wouldn't have a chemistry interview... :wink:

Have you done FM? If so study it. There's no point studying syllabi that you haven't or won't be taking for exams. They know what modules you have done so if they ask you something you haven't covered just say so.
Original post by jneill
If you applied via Engineering you wouldn't have a chemistry interview... :wink:

Have you done FM? If so study it. There's no point studying syllabi that you haven't or won't be taking for exams. They know what modules you have done so if they ask you something you haven't covered just say so.

I really enjoy Chemistry, so I'm glad I'm applying via NatSci actually.

I'm actually an international student, so I haven't done A-Levels, but I'm studying the A-Level syllabus since I feel that's the most appropriate. Further Mathematics isn't listed as a requirement for the course though, so I doubt they would ask something of that sort during the interview, but I could be wrong. I really need to pinpoint the most important subjects to study, as I won't have time to fully cover Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, and Further Mathematics. So in light of all the new information, what would you say are the most important subjects to cover?

Huge thanks for the replies dude, really appreciate it!
Reply 5
I really enjoy Chemistry, so I'm glad I'm applying via NatSci actually.

I'm actually an international student, so I haven't done A-Levels, but I'm studying the A-Level syllabus since I feel that's the most appropriate. Further Mathematics isn't listed as a requirement for the course though, so I doubt they would ask something of that sort during the interview, but I could be wrong. I really need to pinpoint the most important subjects to study, as I won't have time to fully cover Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, and Further Mathematics. So in light of all the new information, what would you say are the most important subjects to cover?

Huge thanks for the replies dude, really appreciate it!

For the avoidance of doubt your best bet is to ask in the Peterhouse AT's thread in the Cambridge forum. And tell him exactly what qualifications you have done. You have completed IB haven't you?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3572717
Ask Peterhouse!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Also, you can't normally apply to Cambridge if you are already a student at another uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Also, you can't normally apply to Cambridge if you are already a student at another uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying to Churchill, should I contact the admissions office? And if so, should I just ask what I should study to prepare for my interviews? Also, I'm not studying at another university, I'm on a gap year.

Thanks for the reply!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
I'm applying to Churchill, should I contact the admissions office? And if so, should I just ask what I should study to prepare for my interviews? Also, I'm not studying at another university, I'm on a gap year.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes "Ask Churchill" ( :wink: ), but there's no harm asking Peterhouse too. Churchill can be a bit, erm, slow to reply....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Yes "Ask Churchill" ( :wink: ), but there's no harm asking Peterhouse too. Churchill can be a bit, erm, slow to reply....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright! I actually haven't completely decided which college to apply to, but Churchill seems like a nice place. Did you recommend Peterhouse because you went to Cambridge yourself?

Also, do you have a link to the "Ask Churchill" thread?

I didn't study IB, something pretty similar though.

Huge thanks for all the help!
Reply 10
Alright! I actually haven't completely decided which college to apply to, but Churchill seems like a nice place. Did you recommend Peterhouse because you went to Cambridge yourself?

Also, do you have a link to the "Ask Churchill" thread?

I didn't study IB, something pretty similar though.

Huge thanks for all the help!

My son has a deferred place at Christ's for Engineering. Coincidentally Christ's AT is very helpful but his most recent thread has just finished - hence recommending the Peterhouse thread which just started today. He's also very helpful :wink:

And, sorry but there is no Ask Churchill thread (they aren't present on TSR afaik) - it was a lame British reference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZToP48Mrp8
Original post by jneill
My son has a deferred place at Christ's for Engineering. Coincidentally Christ's AT is very helpful but his most recent thread has just finished - hence recommending the Peterhouse thread which just started today. He's also very helpful :wink:

And, sorry but there is no Ask Churchill thread (they aren't present on TSR afaik) - it was a lame British reference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZToP48Mrp8

Oh I see! Well thanks again for all the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending