The Student Room Group

I don't like how people act like wannabe geeks

Since when was being a geek something that's trendy? Back in the day f you read comic books and watched Star Wars or Star Trek you were a geek but now you have people flaunting merchandise acting like they're hardcore fans when you can tell easily that they're not. I've seen people say "I'm a comic book geek - I watch all the superhero movies". This doesn't make you a geek, this makes you someone who watches movies. An actual geek may be someone who knows every single ongoing storyline in a comic, a person who can be asked about a character and they can give you their entire background.

It bothers me because there are probably people out there who still get made of for having geeky interests like collecting action figures and comic books and yet there are people who buy big glasses with fake lenses, buy a Marvel comics bag and then say, "Yeah, I'm a geek." Geeks don't call themselves geeks.

Scroll to see replies

I'm a big Marvel geek.
Reply 2
You're late.
Only a geek would say that
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I'm a big Marvel geek.

Well in society there are always the real deal and people who want to be that. Gangster and wannabe gangsters, geeks and wannabe geeks, Japanese people and people who want to be Japanese. What bothers me about this who geek thing is that there are actual geeks and then geekdom as a fashion trend.

I have a whole book shelf of a growing anime and manga collection, shelves of action figures and collectables - in fact, I even have a figure on pre-order, shelves of video games with an Amazon wish list of games I'll be buying soon and multiple consoles but I don't think that would make me a socially "cool" or fashionable geek.
(edited 8 years ago)
I used to be such a massive Harry Potter nerd. :dong: I would walk around with my nose in a book at all times.
Reply 6
It used to annoy me when the popular, bitchy type of girls would wear those NERD and GEEK tops yet have the cheek to mock and bully those who were actually what society would deem as a geek.

Not saying every girl who wore those tops acted like that but I know a fair few who did and it was very hypocritical and annoying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithYou
Since when was being a geek something that's trendy? Back in the day f you read comic books and watched Star Wars or Star Trek you were a geek but now you have people flaunting merchandise acting like they're hardcore fans when you can tell easily that they're not. I've seen people say "I'm a comic book geek - I watch all the superhero movies". This doesn't make you a geek, this makes you someone who watches movies. An actual geek may be someone who knows every single ongoing storyline in a comic, a person who can be asked about a character and they can give you their entire background.

It bothers me because there are probably people out there who still get made of for having geeky interests like collecting action figures and comic books and yet there are people who buy big glasses with fake lenses, buy a Marvel comics bag and then say, "Yeah, I'm a geek." Geeks don't call themselves geeks.

geek1ɡiːk/informalnounnoun: geek; plural noun: geeks
verbverb: geek; 3rd person present: geeks; past tense: geeked; past participle: geeked; gerund or present participle: geeking

I got this off google, it depends if you're using it as a verb or a noun, there is some ambiguity about just how knowledgeable you need to be to qualify.

The interesting thing about words is that everyone seems to have a slightly different meaning for them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Your username is based on an rpg which centres around being a Japanese hipster. Sweet irony.

That also makes me a superior geek to you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
The only sad ones are the people who get annoyed at this. So they're pretending to be a 'nerd' or a 'geek' - so what? It doesn't affect you, just move on with your life and don't be bitter. This whole 'I'm a TRUE fan' and 'I hate fake fans' movement that's becoming increasingly popular on the internet is cancerous to everyone involved.
why does it hurt you so much. wow
I can relate to this soo much, People would laugh at me for having Power Rangers as my ringtone so i had to change it to John Cena's intro
Reply 12
Being an actual geek still isn't cool.
Does it really matter? Disregarding the degree of knowledge people have about a certain geekdom, geeky stuff becoming more mainstream just has the effect of allowing for more merchandise, bigger conventions, more movies - just more content for people to geek over.

It's not some sort of 'secret society', anyone is allowed to enjoy or appreciate something. Maybe you could try sharing the geekiness with those you deem 'un-geeky', rather than making it seem like some exclusive club. Could make some new friends in the process.
I know right. I was a geek before it was cool
There is no threshold you need to meet to be considered a fan of something. The judging of who is a 'true fan' really annoys me and creates an environment that people don't feel they can start liking something because they'll be told that they're trying to be 'cool'. If you like a TV show, series of comic books, music genre etc. you should want to introduce people to it. If you think something is awesome you should be excited about the idea of showing other people how awesome it is.
What bugs me is that a while ago if you were a geek you get bullied (and generally still bullied now) but if someone else deemed as cooler than you likes something "geeky" it's fine?
If you also look a certain way and like geeky stuff people tend to be a pain, but if you're hot and like geeky stuff you are worshipped?

(Not body shaming here, just noticed this happens a lot)
this really is a non-issue. and this is coming from someone who has had a blog dedicated to data from the next generation for 3 years.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithYou

Same as me :P. I don't like how people act all geeky about stuff mainly movies, and comics.
Not to split hairs, but aren't people who are obsessed with fandoms and comic books and stuff referred to as 'nerds', where academic achievers are referred to as 'geeks'?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending