The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
MylesAlexanderAppleyard
..but remember the importance of the BMAT decreases significantly if you get to interview so that stat may not be extremely important.

;yes; That's what I thought

I just wanted to wish you luck really, hope it works out fine for you!
Well considering I got 25.8 and didn't get in, yet my mate got 17 and did, I'd say the BMAT has little influence on the final decision.

But if it makes you feel better:

Section 1: 5.3
Section 2: 7.0
Section 3: 13.5

Rejected after interview.
Reply 3
this is a rough guide to the percentiles
Reply 4
GCSE: 6A*, 2A, 2B (60% A*)

BMAT: 7.3, 6.1, 9 (22.4)

Rejected after interview:frown:
Reply 5
MylesAlexanderAppleyard
Also if anyone knows what I reallly would like to know please is what individual score would be required to get in the top 40% for Oxford for each invidual section e.g do you need a 6 or more in section 1 to be in the top 40% of Oxford applicants.

Please if anyone could tell me what % of applicants get of applicants get a 6 in section1, 6 in section2 and 9 in section 3 who apply to Oxford could you inform me.

The statistics that Oxford publish on the issue (if you haven't seen them already) a cycle behind.

This shows from last year thinking about individual scores for each section might not be very useful, because: "The scores on the different BMAT sections were combined by considering each section mark as a percentage of the maximum (allowing for the fact that the scales did not all start with zero), and calculating BMAT performance = 0.4*(% on section 1) + 0.2*(% on section 2) + 0.4*(% on section 3). This decision to give less weight to Section 2 was made on the basis of a review of previous admissions data in advance of the 2004 admissions round, and was maintained in the 2005 admissions round."

The answer to the second question will vary from year to year - there's not an absolute answer & hasn't been given in their stats so I suspect you would have to ask them directly. You can make guesstimates about the whole BMAT sitting cohort from graphs they provide though.

Given you made it to interview this time I think asking them for feedback (if you haven't already got it) on your overall application as to what let you down & perhaps clarification as to whether you were on the initial shortlist or the people added to it in the review would be more helpful than a very limited TSR sample of the thousand or so who applied. :smile:
Reply 6
MylesAlexanderAppleyard
Thanks Vb07. For your attachment you have put Cambridge and then put C C as the bottom two rows for section 1 and section 2, what does this mean?

type scores into the boxes for section 1 and 2. The grades change depending on those scores. Cambridge grade scores in section 1 and 2 with an A, B or C.
Reply 7
GCSE: 8A* 3A = 73%A*
BMAT: 5,5,13.5, total=23.5, percentile according to vb07s thing = 38.08

I was accepted after interview. Looks like I was quite close on the interview front since you need to be in top 38% if you have 70% A*... where did you get that percentile thing from vb07? Did you work it out yourself?

Perhaps something to consider is that they may not take into account each section equally? I have heard that...
Reply 8
yeah the percentile thing is rough, but weighted on s1 and s3 = 40% and s2 = 20%
Reply 9
When I did your percentile thing, vb, it said I was grade B for my second section. But in my feedback it said I was A. I think I'll go with the feedback. It makes me feel better. :smile:
Reply 10
yeah i was unsure whether it was 6.4+ or 6.7+. You got 6.4, right?

About the Oxford percentile thing - i cant stress enough that it is kinda rough. For the bmat as a whole, 5.0 is the mean, and 1.2 is the s.d. in a normal distribution, although, strictly speaking, its some other distribution but its not far off. For Oxford, I altered the values using some data we got from one student we had at our school who got rejected. We made a big deal about it because his bmat was v. high and got a lot of information about the bmat from them.
Soo glad I didn't even want to go to Oxbridge :smile:
Yep, I got 6.4.
Oh, did you do it yourself, then? That's quite cool. :smile:
Reply 13
i got 5.6, 4.7, 9 and got 10 A*s

My mate got 5.6, 4.7, 6 and didnt get an interview, but i did. so theres your cut off point with 100% a*s. (essay marks go up in 3s) it does change every year according to what everyone gets too.

my advice is start working for bmat right now, do all kinds of mensa puzzles and things 2 get your mind in2 that way of thinking. oxford really do put so much emphasis on the bmat.

if u want 2 secure yourself an interview at oxbridge, but youre not confident about the bmat then go 4 cambridge because they often invite u for interview before they get your marks. they do ask 4 module marks though, but apparently all unis are next year.

hope this has been of some help! x x x
I got 9A* (100%) and somehow on the BMAT, 8.8 on section 1, 5.0 on section 2 and 13.5 on section 3 which is 27.3 in total and got an offer.

Good luck if you decide to reapply and with all your other unis this year.
Reply 15
for an interview, you need quite high bmat scores, but to get an offer they'll probably base it on other stuff.

i was rejected this year from oxford before an interview (horrible horrible bmat score) but i'm not at all tempted to apply next yr. i've only been given one offer but i'm more than happy with it, and don't wanna risk a place in medicine for oxford, probably to be rejected again.

theres one thing wanting to do medicine, and there's another wanting to go to oxford. no harm in wanting both, but if you passionately want to do medicine, you should be prepared to do it anywhere.

don't mind me asking, why are you considering applying there again?
Reply 16
Zafda

theres one thing wanting to do medicine, and there's another wanting to go to oxford. no harm in wanting both, but if you passionately want to do medicine, you should be prepared to do it anywhere.

don't mind me asking, why are you considering applying there again?

So true!
Irrelevant now but nome291 interviewed at Merton and Trinity, and I think her first choice was Merton.
Reply 18
Haha yep becca knows my life story (trinity was my first choice though). wouldnt recommend applying for merton, its just ridiculously good lol and to be perfectly honest i didnt like my interviews at trinity. I was won over by the amazing lawns haha x
Reply 19
by the way i am nome291 lol x

Latest

Trending

Trending