The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan/grant - registration/attendance confirmation SFE

Hey guys,

I'm going into my second year of a Foundation Degree at Burnley College via UCLAN.

My Student Finance says that my maintenance loan/grant is due to be paid today, but as they haven't received "registration" confirmation from UCLAN/college they can't pay it.

I've spoken to UCLAN and have been told that we won't get this until our attendance is confirmed on 17th when the course starts, however, SFE have said that only my tuition fees need attendance confirmation, the rest can be paid when they received "registration" confirmation. UCLAN said that those are the same thing yet SFE are suggesting they are separate. I've enrolled online via UCLAN's usual method and assumed all would be fine.

Does anyone have any further information they can help with and whether or not there is indeed a difference between registration and attendance confirmation for SFE.

Cheers!
Reply 1
I've never known there to be a difference. SF don't pay the uni your first tuition fee installment until later in the autumn term anyway.

SF only release your maintenance funds after you've turned up on campus to register/enrol, and the uni confirms to SF that you have turned up to do that. Enrolling online isn't the same thing - that's just the first step. SF want to know that you are actually physically at uni before they pay out.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
I've never known there to be a difference. SF don't pay the uni your first tuition fee installment until later in the autumn term anyway.

SF only release your maintenance funds after you've turned up on campus to register/enrol, and the uni confirms to SF that you have turned up to do that. Enrolling online isn't the same thing - that's just the first step. SF want to know that you are actually physically at uni before they pay out.

Cheers for the reply.

I figured as much. The reason why this has come to light is cause last year SFE had the payment down as later in September, when we were already physically there. The way it was worded to me on the phone suggested that registration and attendance confirmations were two separate things.
Reply 3
Original post by RickC182
Cheers for the reply.

I figured as much. The reason why this has come to light is cause last year SFE had the payment down as later in September, when we were already physically there. The way it was worded to me on the phone suggested that registration and attendance confirmations were two separate things.

My undergrad uni had both an online registration and campus enrolment. The online registration just told them that I still intended to turn up, so they could finalise course numbers, sort out the right-sized lecture theatres, set up email addresses and system login details etc. it was more of a uni admin thing.

The later physical on-campus enrolment (usually during Induction Week) was confirmation that I was actually there and that SF could send me the money. That was the only thing that SF cared about.
And how long was it after physically enrolling did your money go in?
Reply 5
Original post by BradCohen
And how long was it after physically enrolling did your money go in?

Mine varied from four days to three weeks. There are four key stages:

1) You enrol on campus
2) Your uni tells SF you have enrolled
3) SF release your funds
4) Your SF funds are transferred into your bank account

Delays can happen at any point in that process and nothing will happen over a weekend.

The longest delay I experienced was when my department stuffed up on-campus enrollment at the start of my second year, by forgetting to notify about two-thirds of the people in my year about enrollment. The uni delayed notifying SF about anyone (even those who were able to turn up and enrol at the right date/time) for over a fortnight, until they'd managed to sort out their admin cock-up.

It can be a bit unpredictable. I'd always advise arriving with enough money (or a big enough overdraft) to tide you over for a week or two, in case your SF is delayed.
Original post by Klix88
Mine varied from four days to three weeks. There are four key stages:

1) You enrol on campus
2) Your uni tells SF you have enrolled
3) SF release your funds
4) Your SF funds are transferred into your bank account

Delays can happen at any point in that process and nothing will happen over a weekend.

The longest delay I experienced was when my department stuffed up on-campus enrollment at the start of my second year, by forgetting to notify about two-thirds of the people in my year about enrollment. The uni delayed notifying SF about anyone (even those who were able to turn up and enrol at the right date/time) for over a fortnight, until they'd managed to sort out their admin cock-up.

It can be a bit unpredictable. I'd always advise arriving with enough money (or a big enough overdraft) to tide you over for a week or two, in case your SF is delayed.

That's really helpful, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest