The Student Room Group

Help alevel cold war

I do not understand the cold war. what took place ?

Someone pls help

who was marx and satlin ?
Reply 1
Why are you asking?
It was a snowball fight that got out of hand when someone made a joke about Satlins mother. You can read about it on Google.
it was the psychological and regime war of tensions between soviet union (USSR) and the west, mainly the United States

it started after world war 2 after the west and russia beat Germany together to establish the USSR and USA as the two main global powers in the world

USSR was communist and USA was capitalist, both their ideologies were directly opposite since USSR believed in world communism but USA and the west felt threatened by this, so both sides toppled regimes and did everything that WASN'T war between USSR and USA to one up the other, mainly because everyone was scared of the vast amount of nuclear weapons each sides had

some important topics to look at is the cuban missile crisis, afghanistan invasion, olympics boycott in 1980s, truman's doctrine, destalinization by krushchev, berlin blockade, berlin wall and how the USSR, and also the race to space

of course the USSR won
Reply 4
I took A level (AQA) History and studied the Cold War. It was a fantastic Course.
The Cold War is basically a power struggle between the USSR (Russia) and the USA. It started because there was a power vacuum (no strong power) after the Germans lost the war, and so both USA and USSR wanted to have the main power.
During these years you look at how the two countries try to get a long, try to fight, try to gain power, which all defines the Cold War. Extremely interesting to look at how different leaders led their countries.

Good Luck with exams :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by goodmorning1
it was the psychological and regime war of tensions between soviet union (USSR) and the west, mainly the United States

it started after world war 2 after the west and russia beat Germany together to establish the USSR and USA as the two main global powers in the world

USSR was communist and USA was capitalist, both their ideologies were directly opposite since USSR believed in world communism but USA and the west felt threatened by this, so both sides toppled regimes and did everything that WASN'T war between USSR and USA to one up the other, mainly because everyone was scared of the vast amount of nuclear weapons each sides had

some important topics to look at is the cuban missile crisis, afghanistan invasion, olympics boycott in 1980s, truman's doctrine, destalinization by krushchev, berlin blockade, berlin wall and how the USSR, and also the race to space

of course the USSR won

Great explanation :smile:
Although wouldn't you say America won, due to the economic fall of the USSR as well as the collapse of communism?
Original post by LouOla
Great explanation :smile:
Although wouldn't you say America won, due to the economic fall of the USSR as well as the collapse of communism?

lol i was just joking, but yeah that is what a lot of people think but i like to think of it like ussr was the only power in history to stand up to usa and win so many times
Reply 7
Original post by goodmorning1
lol i was just joking, but yeah that is what a lot of people think but i like to think of it like ussr was the only power in history to stand up to usa and win so many times

Haha oh ok, yeah after Stalin died, I was secretly team USSR :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest