The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Question...

Hi there...would just like to get a few opinions really, especially from people who have gone on to study medicine as a graduate. Basically, i'm a second year Biomed and will be applying to med in september this year. I'm just wondering how many of my four choices should be for the four year programme and how many for the five year? I'm well aware of the financial implications of the five year etc, however, I really want to do med, so don't mind an extra year.

It seems virtually impossibe to get onto the four year and i'll prob only get a 2.1 rather than a first. Would you say that two applcations to each would be a wise choice as that's what i'm kinda thinking??

Thank you guys!!!xx
Or 1 to GEP!
Reply 2
Hiya,
I was in a similar situation to yourself last year. It was easier for me as I didn't want to go to England and GEP isn't offered up North.
My advice would be to apply to one or two GEP programmes and keep the others for some of the less popular(or larger intake) med schools.
If you get a 2:1 you're pretty much guaranteed an interview in Scotland, I know that Aberdeen and Dundee are graduate friendly, not so sure bout England, and Glasgow have a really large intake (~240/year)
Basically, dont put all your eggs in one basket - its incredibly difficult to get into ANY med school as a graduate, even harder for the GEP - so do as much research into the schools you like and see what they're stats are for gradutes.
Its a big decision deciding where to apply - so dont take it lightly!!!

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 3
It all depends i think on what your application is like, and also apply to places that are specifically looking for the attributes you can offer (I got the impression different schools placed different emphasis on different aspects). I applied to 3 GEP and 1 5yr (I nearly applied to 4 GEPs, but wanted to stay nearer home so had limited options). In the end I have 2 GEP offers, anothe GEP interview coming up and also a 5yr interview (which I turned down)....so whilst it is really competitive, it is do-able!! (By the way I was having this sort of panic as you this time last yr!)
Reply 4
sc3170
It all depends i think on what your application is like, and also apply to places that are specifically looking for the attributes you can offer (I got the impression different schools placed different emphasis on different aspects). I applied to 3 GEP and 1 5yr (I nearly applied to 4 GEPs, but wanted to stay nearer home so had limited options). In the end I have 2 GEP offers, anothe GEP interview coming up and also a 5yr interview (which I turned down)....so whilst it is really competitive, it is do-able!! (By the way I was having this sort of panic as you this time last yr!)

WOW Congratulations! Have you got or are you on track for a first? This is what I am hoping to do after I finish biomedical science degree! Did you have a lot of work experience?
Reply 5
Oooops - forgot to say something
You will be a lot cheaper doing a GEP programme, and its shorter aswell, as I said before I didn't fancy living in England, or risking one of my applications on GEP.
Saying that, a lot of funding is available to medical students, BMA can pay half your fees in your clinical years and a lot of small charites can give you small grants aswell - you also get a full maintenance loan to help with rent/living cost etc as well as many big bank loans which are interest free until you graduate.
I would focus on getting in first and worrying bout money later, it wont be easy but its manageable - nothing to what the vets have to pay (£17, 000/year) so weve really nothing to complain about!!!

thats my opinion anyway!
Reply 6
mmiles21
WOW Congratulations! Have you got or are you on track for a first? This is what I am hoping to do after I finish biomedical science degree! Did you have a lot of work experience?

I am on track for a first, but I don't think it had that much impact on my application (I know some other graduate courses require it, but none of the places I applied to seemed that fussed by it). I guess experience wise I have done lots of different things for different lengths of time, but mostly people-based. If you wanna chat then you can PM me.
Reply 7
Thanks for all your help guys! It's nice to know that the GEP is do-able, however, i think im leaning towards maybe 1 GEP, and 3 5yr...just for security!! xxx
Reply 8
scooby22
Oooops - forgot to say something
You will be a lot cheaper doing a GEP programme, and its shorter aswell, as I said before I didn't fancy living in England, or risking one of my applications on GEP.
Saying that, a lot of funding is available to medical students, BMA can pay half your fees in your clinical years and a lot of small charites can give you small grants aswell - you also get a full maintenance loan to help with rent/living cost etc as well as many big bank loans which are interest free until you graduate.
I would focus on getting in first and worrying bout money later, it wont be easy but its manageable - nothing to what the vets have to pay (£17, 000/year) so weve really nothing to complain about!!!

thats my opinion anyway!

Talk has it that GEP finding may well be withdrawn within the next 2 years... Gotta love cost cutting excercises...

And BMA charities covers more than my fees :wink: :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending