The Student Room Group

Changes to the History A level-Should I still do it?

Hello,

I've rather been contemplating lately whether History will be too hard for me too really excel in. This is mainly due to the fact it is now a linear A level-meaning all exams taking at the end of A2. I really enjoyed GCSE history (managed to get 100%) but I'm just wondering if any of you guys had done AS and A2 history and whether It would be EXTREMELY harder if those As exams were taken at the end of A2 too. Thank you:smile:
Original post by Hasanalm
Hello,

I've rather been contemplating lately whether History will be too hard for me too really excel in. This is mainly due to the fact it is now a linear A level-meaning all exams taking at the end of A2. I really enjoyed GCSE history (managed to get 100%) but I'm just wondering if any of you guys had done AS and A2 history and whether It would be EXTREMELY harder if those As exams were taken at the end of A2 too. Thank you:smile:

I'd really recommend doing History if you enjoy it; there's quite a bit of work and extra reading to get the highest grades but personally I think it's well worth it if you like the sound of the modules you'd be doing. I'm sure that taking both exams at once will be ok, given that everyone in the country's in the same position but I suppose it really comes down to how much you like the subject (but as an aspiring historian I suppose I'm very biased!!)
Reply 2
Original post by snowafterfire
I'd really recommend doing History if you enjoy it; there's quite a bit of work and extra reading to get the highest grades but personally I think it's well worth it if you like the sound of the modules you'd be doing. I'm sure that taking both exams at once will be ok, given that everyone in the country's in the same position but I suppose it really comes down to how much you like the subject (but as an aspiring historian I suppose I'm very biased!!)

I'm an apsiring lawyer and i've chosen History instead of English Literature so It's quite pivotal I do very well in History. My modules for As currently is The Norman conquest-Anglo Saxon England and Russia. I'm quite keen on Russia but Ii seem to lack real interest on the Norman Module. Do you have any knowledge of these Units. Thanks for your reply:smile:
Reply 3
hey, i got an A in history and am going on to study it at uni
it is a lot of work but if you love it i would say go for it!
i actually resat both my AS exams so in my A2 year i did all 3 exams, i didnt find it too difficult if anything it was helpful as your skills have improved to an A2 level
i would suggest making sure you constantly review the AS content during you A2 year (i went to all the AS revision sessions/workshops they had and did about 2 hours a week revision for each exam - however you could get away with a lot less than that!)
Original post by Hasanalm
I'm an apsiring lawyer and i've chosen History instead of English Literature so It's quite pivotal I do very well in History. My modules for As currently is The Norman conquest-Anglo Saxon England and Russia. I'm quite keen on Russia but Ii seem to lack real interest on the Norman Module. Do you have any knowledge of these Units. Thanks for your reply:smile:

What period are you doing in Russia? I did 1855-1917 and really enjoyed it, but my school's now moved to Russia under Stalin and that looks fascinating as well, from what I've been discussing with my teacher. I don't know much about the Anglo-Saxon module but I'd give it a go, I was a bit iffy about Russia at first but by the end of the course it was my favourite topic. Maybe try reading a bit of extra material and see if there are any particular aspects that you'd be most interested in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending