The Student Room Group

4 Essay Subjects

I have to pick my AS subjects in a few weeks, and I've been certain for years that I want to do English lit, History, French and Politics. But whenever I tell someone, they're shocked by the fact that I want to do 4 essay subjects. The thing is, I actually enjoy writing essays, and I'm not a fan of maths and sciences.
Am I mad?
Original post by thischarmingbea
I have to pick my AS subjects in a few weeks, and I've been certain for years that I want to do English lit, History, French and Politics. But whenever I tell someone, they're shocked by the fact that I want to do 4 essay subjects. The thing is, I actually enjoy writing essays, and I'm not a fan of maths and sciences.
Am I mad?

Not really. If you enjoy writing essay's then go for it. In fact, taking many essay subjects together is actually better, because your essay writing skills (eg: writing faster, better spelling and structure of you essay's) will improve as you will be doing more practice.
If it's what you love go for it. To be honest, I'm more of a science student - I prefer concise and straight to the point answers with enough detail to explain the situation. I however do one essay subject, that being Economics. I managed to get an A in it but I'll tell you what, I nearly sprained my wrist since I was writing so aggressively in the last few minutes of my exam to nail my conclusion in one of the essays (25 mark essay). I'm serious - My wrist turned blue and I had to pop it back into place (kind of) to keep going (I was pretty determined - Although my behaviour probably gave off the impression that I was on crack or something).

I think if you're used to writing essays you'll have more 'stamina' when it comes to writing a lot but for me, my hand starts to ache after a bit.

Also if like you I had multiple essay subjects and by luck I managed to get 2 exams on the same day in May/June, my hand would be left in a wheelchair.\

But yeah ^ That's me. You said you like essay subjects. You'll do fine if you can go for long periods of times writing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Am I mad?

Nah, it's not, if you like it and will help you in uni then do it. I know loads of people who are doing loads of science subject or Maths subjects and... well, tbh, they're called mad but they're happy with it so I don't think they are mad, just really passionate.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:
Reply 4
Am I mad?

I couldn't even handle 1. I prefer to calculate then to write essays, ugh.

Quick Reply

Latest