The Student Room Group

Pinsent Masons Gap Year 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by constantino_chr
Hi,

Can you describe what the assessment day is like and what it involves?

I don't really know what to expect:colondollar:

If things are like last year, you'll have two interviews.

One is a more personal one where you have to give evidence that you have whatever qualities PM is looking for by talking about your experiences. Think about what you've done so far and what it shows.

The other interview is focused on commercial awareness. This is about showing you know what lawyers do, what makes a good lawyer, the legal market etc. as well as showing you have some interest in business in general. Read the news. As a word of advice if you aren't genuinely interested in business this placement might not be for you - commercial law is as much business as law.

If there's anything else to this year's application process unfortunately I don't know about it.
Original post by ronmcd
If things are like last year, you'll have two interviews.

One is a more personal one where you have to give evidence that you have whatever qualities PM is looking for by talking about your experiences. Think about what you've done so far and what it shows.

The other interview is focused on commercial awareness. This is about showing you know what lawyers do, what makes a good lawyer, the legal market etc. as well as showing you have some interest in business in general. Read the news. As a word of advice if you aren't genuinely interested in business this placement might not be for you - commercial law is as much business as law.

If there's anything else to this year's application process unfortunately I don't know about it.

Thank you very much!
Hi guys, got invited to interview! Would go to Manchester but it clashes with my Oxford interview!!! December 8-12!!! Already sent an email but majorly freaking out!
Reply 43
Original post by eleanor27
Hi guys, got invited to interview! Would go to Manchester but it clashes with my Oxford interview!!! December 8-12!!! Already sent an email but majorly freaking out!

Good luck! I just confirmed my interview for Edinburgh on the 10th December :smile:
To say I'm nervous is an understatement!
Reply 44

The same thing happened to me last year. As long as you've given them plenty of notice I expect they'll reschedule the interview.
Original post by ronmcd
I'm currently on the scheme at a regional office. Feel free to ask me any questions although you'll probably be able to talk to one of us anyway if you get an interview.

Hi, I have just been given an interview!!! I was wondering do you have any idea on how many people are given interviews for the programme or how many applicants are there on the assessment date and how many people are actually given offers per firm. Thanks in advance :smile:))
:biggrin:Just really nervous!!
Reply 46
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
Hi, I have just been given an interview!!! I was wondering do you have any idea on how many people are given interviews for the programme or how many applicants are there on the assessment date and how many people are actually given offers per firm. Thanks in advance :smile:))
:biggrin:Just really nervous!!

I couldn't attend the official assessment day at my office so I'm not totally sure. I think the other gap student at my office said there were about 6 (excluding me) and 2 of us were accepted.

Overall there are about 19 of us this year, and there were over 175 applicants. I think it's important to note that we aren't spread evenly across offices - Leeds and Birmingham have a lot, and the others only have 1 or 2.

Do you know what the interview date for Manchester is this year?
Original post by ronmcd
I couldn't attend the official assessment day at my office so I'm not totally sure. I think the other gap student at my office said there were about 6 (excluding me) and 2 of us were accepted.

Overall there are about 19 of us this year, and there were over 175 applicants. I think it's important to note that we aren't spread evenly across offices - Leeds and Birmingham have a lot, and the others only have 1 or 2.

Do you know what the interview date for Manchester is this year?

Machester is December 9th :smile:
Reply 48
Machester is December 9th :smile:

Oh, that's too bad since I'm not in that day. The other gap year student should be though.
ah I see thank you :smile: Do you remember if there were any questions that were particularly hard or difficult to answer? Also, is there anything they are specifically looking for in students, aside from being confident and having done the relevant research? Sorry to keep bothering you... I just want to be as prepared as I can be?
Also, what would the dress code be like? would a suit be too keen for a girl?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
ah I see thank you :smile: Do you remember if there were any questions that were particularly hard or difficult to answer? Also, is there anything they are specifically looking for in students, aside from being confident and having done the relevant research? Sorry to keep bothering you... I just want to be as prepared as I can be?
Also, what would the dress code be like? would a suit be too keen for a girl?

I wouldn't say there was anything that was very difficult, but it's a good idea to practise speaking about your achievements/experiences so you'll be able to deliver them in a way that makes you look good. Have a business news story prepared which you can discuss. I think having an interest in law is important, and you should make it clear that you have the motivation to put up with tedious work when you have to (and you will have to). Being sociable and generally pleasant is another important trait.

A suit is fine, but so is anything else that seems professional.
Original post by ronmcd
I'm currently on the scheme at a regional office. Feel free to ask me any questions although you'll probably be able to talk to one of us anyway if you get an interview.

Hi, for the commercial interview, were you given a question to prep beforehand to talk about during the interview?
Reply 52
Original post by stephen39
Hi, for the commercial interview, were you given a question to prep beforehand to talk about during the interview?

I think there was something but it wasn't a big part of the interview.
Original post by ronmcd
I think there was something but it wasn't a big part of the interview.

Ah right thank you:smile: also what would you say the bulk of the commercial interview questions consisted of? recent business news or something else? thanks again
Reply 54
Ah right thank you:smile: also what would you say the bulk of the commercial interview questions consisted of? recent business news or something else? thanks again

I had to talk about the skills I thought a lawyer should have (the question I'd been given), what I knew about PM and the legal industry, the effect of the recession on law firms and business news among other things. I'm sure different people will get different things based on their initial application.
Original post by ronmcd
I had to talk about the skills I thought a lawyer should have (the question I'd been given), what I knew about PM and the legal industry, the effect of the recession on law firms and business news among other things. I'm sure different people will get different things based on their initial application.

many thanks again, and finally, in the behavioural interview will the questions solely be regarding your skills and qualities? so maybe a question such as "Tell me about yourself" to begin with, and then one regarding teamwork or leadership and so on? or are the questions academic and relating to your studies?
Reply 56
many thanks again, and finally, in the behavioural interview will the questions solely be regarding your skills and qualities? so maybe a question such as "Tell me about yourself" to begin with, and then one regarding teamwork or leadership and so on? or are the questions academic and relating to your studies?

Personal questions only.
Original post by ronmcd
Personal questions only.

Hey,

What would you say are the most common typed of personal questions to come up in the interview?

Thankyou:smile:
thank you :smile:) I really do appreciate your help
One last thing (I promise :') ) do they base any questions on your application and do they ask any questions about what is on it? For example, if you did a work experience placement would they want to know what you did and what you gained, in the interview> Thank you so very much!!
Reply 59
Original post by liviaduke
Hey,

What would you say are the most common typed of personal questions to come up in the interview?

Thankyou:smile:

Not sure my sample size is big enough to say what's common but I'd expect questions that ask for evidence of PM's desired qualities - teamwork, motivation, resilience etc.

I don't think it would be appropriate to go into more detail since not all applicants will read this.

Quick Reply

Latest