The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to get an A* ?

If I get a low A overall in AS is it possible to get an A* without retaking any exams?
Yes it is possible. Even if you got a B at AS you can still get an A* at A2 but you must get an average of over 90% across A2 units.
In short, yes. For most subjects (not maths, however, I don't think - I don't know how that works) to get an A* at A-level, you need an A average overall for the AS and A2 combined (80%, i.e. 360/400 UMS or 480/600 UMS, depending on the subject) and you need an average of 90% across all your A2 modules only. What that means is that you can go from a rock-bottom C at AS (60%) and, if you get 100% in all A2 modules, you average 80% and, since you got more than 90% at A2, you get an A*.

In other words, how high or low your A was at AS has no bearing on your A* chances, so no need to resit. Hope that helps!
Original post by sadface
If I get a low A overall in AS is it possible to get an A* without retaking any exams?

The new AS levels are not linked to A levels at all - which subjects do you mean?
Reply 4
Original post by DeadEnd_96
Yes it is possible. Even if you got a B at AS you can still get an A* at A2 but you must get an average of over 90% across A2 units.

Original post by SosbanFach
In short, yes. For most subjects (not maths, however, I don't think - I don't know how that works) to get an A* at A-level, you need an A average overall for the AS and A2 combined (80%, i.e. 360/400 UMS or 480/600 UMS, depending on the subject) and you need an average of 90% across all your A2 modules only. What that means is that you can go from a rock-bottom C at AS (60%) and, if you get 100% in all A2 modules, you average 80% and, since you got more than 90% at A2, you get an A*.

In other words, how high or low your A was at AS has no bearing on your A* chances, so no need to resit. Hope that helps!

Thank-you!
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
The new AS levels are not linked to A levels at all - which subjects do you mean?

I'm not doing the new AS levels, I've already got my AS results

That is true, and I forgot about that. If you've just done AS then one AS is half an A-level and what I said applies as you've done the old style. If you're going into year 12 and about to do AS, you'll do the new version, and everything I said is null and void.

EDIT: I'm a step behind in everything I say - type too slowly. Sorry!
Original post by sadface
I'm not doing the new AS levels, I've already got my AS results

That wasn't clear from your post - we need to know your UMS to give you a sensible answer!
Reply 8
That wasn't clear from your post - we need to know your UMS to give you a sensible answer!

Sorry I didn't think about the fact the A-level is changing, and I can't remember my UMS but it was roughly 80% (I just scraped an A)
Original post by sadface
Sorry I didn't think about the fact the A-level is changing, and I can't remember my UMS but it was roughly 80% (I just scraped an A)

Well yes it is - make sure you get 90 or more average in A2 - maths has slightly different rules.
Reply 10
Well yes it is - make sure you get 90 or more average in A2 - maths has slightly different rules.

It's a humanity so it's ok - thank you :smile:
Original post by sadface
It's a humanity so it's ok - thank you :smile:

Lel, say that to anyone doing languages. I know. Virtually, nearly impossible to get an A*.

Quick Reply

Latest