The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

2nd year LSE Student - AMA

Just in case you wanted to know anything about the Uni, courses, day to day life etc.

Probably won't be much help in terms of entry requirements/application chances though cause I cam through a non-traditional educational route to get here :smile:
What course are you doing?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by OrionMusicNet
What course are you doing?

Straight Gov. Originally wanted to choose Gov & Econ but I prefer the freedom of the straight government degree structure
Reply 3
Where do you see yourself going career wise. Doing straight Gov, do you benefit at all from the networking of big companies?
Reply 4
Where are you staying? Also how is the social life and how heavy is your workload? Thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
What's the social atmosphere like? I've heard it can be terribley cliquey, and my open day visit felt similar. I could be completely wrong, though.
Reply 6
Original post by alex0110
Where do you see yourself going career wise. Doing straight Gov, do you benefit at all from the networking of big companies?

Political risk is something that interests me but I'd rather work in pursuit of something I think is truly important, income inequality, democracy, poverty alleviation, climate change and ethical investing are all areas I'd love a career in so my most likely path is policy research/analysis.

I still benefit because a lot of city firms hold specific LSE only events where they're not concerned what type of degree you're getting...though I'm not personally interested in that. There's also specific networking events for my dept for people looking to get into NGOs/third sector/central/local government. In particular our networking events for European jobs are really amazing IMO.

Original post by Mitzy09
Where are you staying? Also how is the social life and how heavy is your workload? Thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year I stayed at Rosebery 10/10 would recommend to a friend. This year I have a flat near Mornington Crescent. Social life is magnificent and if I have a first year regret it's that I got my work/social balance slightly wrong. I ended up with a middling 2:1 based on doing around 6ish hours of reading a week outside of lectures and seminars. Pretty damn lazy of me when I only had 8 contract hours. The average 1500-2000 word essay I'd generally do over a weekend including research and referencing so c all it another 8-10 hours per week if I had an essay due.

This year I'll certainly plan better, and work smarter. and will probably look at doing around 12-18 hours of independent study a week as a high first is certainly my target because I know I'm capable of it.

Original post by Joshrune
What's the social atmosphere like? I've heard it can be terribley cliquey, and my open day visit felt similar. I could be completely wrong, though.

I love the social atmosphere tbh. At times it tends to be the south east asian students who are the worst for being cliquey if I'm being totally honest but this year my best mates were Italian, Austria, Indian American, American, Bolivian, Mexican...I could go on. The only negative think is the small amount of people who are desperately obsessed with finance and the city. By no means is it every Econ/A&F student but there is that small number who were getting suited up and going to networking events about a week after freshers...massive cringe
Reply 7
Original post by Flibib
The only negative think is the small amount of people who are desperately obsessed with finance and the city. By no means is it every Econ/A&F student but there is that small number who were getting suited up and going to networking events about a week after freshers...massive cringe

LOL is this mostly guys or girls too? Also what societies would you recommend to join? Thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by Mitzy09
LOL is this mostly guys or girls too? Also what societies would you recommend to join? Thanks!

Guys are a little more overt. Sometimes it's just really little things that annoy me though. 'You mean you haven't been to any IB networking events? What do you wanna do with your life?' - people are baffled that there is anything to life but IB and treat Uni like a 3 year long interview. But then, I suppose I'm the same way as it genuinely baffles me when people are a 10 minute walk from Parliament at a Uni that has some of the highest quality political research on the planet and are totally politically apathetic. I'm all 'You don't read the news? What do you even do with yor time?!' - Probably just as irritating for them.

I was in the Mexican Society and Latin American Soc last year and they always had really good events; both academic and social. Divest is awesome and I 100% recommend if you're interested in climate change or sustainable development. Other than that - just go for whatever you're interested in!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending