The Student Room Group

Determination of a rate equation....(quick question)

So I'm doing this coursework, our teacher said that the two ways of calculating the rate equation is by

1) shape of concentration-time graph/rate-concentration graph
2) calculating half-lives

Now my primary question is with method 2, first order has equal half lives, second order and above have increasing half lives, but what do the half lives of Zero order reactions do?

Cheers.
For a zero order reaction, the half-lives decrease as the reaction progresses!
Very conscise :yy: Cheers.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to lei_armstrong again." :nn:
Lol that's ok! I take it your doing your chemistry coursework? Same here, but I keep getting distracted and coming on here :-( oops! lol oh well it's already like 20 pages long and that's just the damn plan!
Reply 5
There's also another method for working out the order of the reaction.
If you plot log(conc) against log(rate) and then take the gradient you should get the overall order of the reaction. This verifies the the actual order of the reaction.

Yeah, I'm also doing my chemistry coursework, my deadlines is on Friday. Are you guys doing the acid-metal investigation with Edexcel Nuffield? I'm on the evaluation at the moment, can't think of much at the moment other than percentage errors... lol. Its totalling out at about 25 pages so far minus the graphs. How did you write 20 pages on the plan, don't you think that's a bit excess?

For the order, I got second order with respect to hydrochloric acid and first order with respect to sulphuric acid. And if your wondering about the activation energies; I got +24.6KJ/mol for 1M hydrochloric acid and +28.3KJ/mol for 1M sulphuric acid reacted with 0.003g ± 0.0001g. If you don't mind could you tell me what you guys got, it would help, just to make sure I haven't got totally random answers! Any more questions don't be afraid to ask.. :smile:
wEAK
There's also another method for working out the order of the reaction.
If you plot log(conc) against log(rate) and then take the gradient you should get the overall order of the reaction. This verifies the the actual order of the reaction.

Yeah, I'm also doing my chemistry coursework, my deadlines is on Friday. Are you guys doing the acid-metal investigation with Edexcel Nuffield? I'm on the evaluation at the moment, can't think of much at the moment other than percentage errors... lol. Its totalling out at about 25 pages so far minus the graphs. How did you write 20 pages on the plan, don't you think that's a bit excess?

For the order, I got second order with respect to hydrochloric acid and first order with respect to sulphuric acid. And if your wondering about the activation energies; I got +24.6KJ/mol for 1M hydrochloric acid and +28.3KJ/mol for 1M sulphuric acid reacted with 0.003g ± 0.0001g. If you don't mind could you tell me what you guys got, it would help, just to make sure I haven't got totally random answers! Any more questions don't be afraid to ask.. :smile:

Umm I'm doing OCR Salters Chemistry! The title I have chosen is 'Investigation into the Factors Affecting the Rate of the Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide'. My first draft is due in tomorrow but that's not gonna happen so I'm just gonna hand in half then the rest next week!

So far I have done 6 pages of scientific background (including diagrams and pictures etc), 3 pages of preliminary results and 5 pages for the method. So my plan is actually only 14 pages long! I then have about 8 pages of results tables and 20 graphs! That's all so far and that's pretty short compared to some people in my year who have done like 40 pages of solid writing so far!
Reply 7
lei_armstrong
Umm I'm doing OCR Salters Chemistry! The title I have chosen is 'Investigation into the Factors Affecting the Rate of the Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide'. My first draft is due in tomorrow but that's not gonna happen so I'm just gonna hand in half then the rest next week!

So far I have done 6 pages of scientific background (including diagrams and pictures etc), 3 pages of preliminary results and 5 pages for the method. So my plan is actually only 14 pages long! I then have about 8 pages of results tables and 20 graphs! That's all so far and that's pretty short compared to some people in my year who have done like 40 pages of solid writing so far!

Exactly the same as my coursework :p: , just started planning it, although i think we have to do the practical next week! My plan is 4 pages currently lol :redface:
Swinely
Exactly the same as my coursework :p: , just started planning it, although i think we have to do the practical next week! My plan is 4 pages currently lol :redface:

Cool, if you need any help then let me know!! Btw so far in my plan I have stated the aim, mentioned history of hydrogen peroxide (enthalpy values, what vol stands for etc), talked about enzymes, rate of reaction, rate equation and arhennius equation. Then i talked about different prelimiary experiments, equipment, risk assessment and method!

What factors are you changing and what catalyst are you using? The temperature experiment can be tricky and although they are only short experiments, I ended up doing like 60 experiments and it took quite a few hours (especially when I had to wait for my yeast to activate)!
Reply 9
lei_armstrong
Cool, if you need any help then let me know!! Btw so far in my plan I have stated the aim, mentioned history of hydrogen peroxide (enthalpy values, what vol stands for etc), talked about enzymes, rate of reaction, rate equation and arhennius equation. Then i talked about different prelimiary experiments, equipment, risk assessment and method!

What factors are you changing and what catalyst are you using? The temperature experiment can be tricky and although they are only short experiments, I ended up doing like 60 experiments and it took quite a few hours (especially when I had to wait for my yeast to activate)!

I need to mention about vol, because i thought someone had written it wrong at first on the bottle, then found out it wasn't actually mol :redface: . I think my plan covers the same areas as yours, although mine is quite rough currently so i'll let you know when i finish it.

Changing temp and conc, using magnesium dioxide as a catalyst with about 4 cm^3 of H202 per experiment. At least i don't have to activate my catalyst :smile: .If i pass my driving test monday i will do stay in school all day tuesday and do my practical and preliminary!
Swinely
I need to mention about vol, because i thought someone had written it wrong at first on the bottle, then found out it wasn't actually mol :redface: . I think my plan covers the same areas as yours, although mine is quite rough currently so i'll let you know when i finish it.

Changing temp and conc, using magnesium dioxide as a catalyst with about 4 cm^3 of H202 per experiment. At least i don't have to activate my catalyst :smile: .If i pass my driving test monday i will do stay in school all day tuesday and do my practical and preliminary!

Haha yeah - I have only just found out what vol means (10 vol hydrogen peroxide produces 10cm3 of oxygen gas for every 1cm3 of hydrogen peroxide)

p.s. good luck with your driving test!
Reply 11
I'm on Salters too, though doing the Iodine Clock experiment. Have a good few hours to write it up though... :s
Thanks for the order calculation tip.
Best get back to it - I'd love to hand it in next week but we have a 2 week college holiday. Gark :frown:
I'm doing exactly the same investigation as the two people above the poster above me here. In terms of background i've gone into major detail about rates of reactions, and redox reactions as my two areas of the spec. I need to get on with it in a mo actually :eek:

Latest