The Student Room Group

Why so many homeless people in the UK? turning into a 3rd world country

Scroll to see replies

I have never seen a black or an asian Homeless. Any ideal why that might be?
Reply 21
Original post by Bill_Gates
I use to think this. Came across a very nice bloke about 4-5 times (walk same way to work everyday) and even when i never had change he'd always wish me well. But then i realised he was using all the money on drugs rather than food. But i'm finding it harder to just ignore the situation as the amount are just growing year on year. Seen a guy without trousers just walking through town, clearly had a mental illness of some sort.

Yep, I think it's the same; I gave the bloke some food and just chatted random stuff like where he's from and such. Somehow, I knew that if I gave him money, he'd be using it for something that I won't necessarily agree on.
Original post by ManiWembley
I have never seen a black or an asian Homeless. Any ideal why that might be?

I don't know for sure (does anyone), but one thought I have is maybe because Asian (extended) families tend to be larger and tighter, so you've got more people who might be willing to take you in, lend a hand etc when you're down. More support network maybe so you're less likely to slip down so much as to be on the streets?

Edit: I wouldn't say I've never seen any, but definitely less often.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kka25
Yep, I think it's the same; I gave the bloke some food and just chatted random stuff like where he's from and such. Somehow, I knew that if I gave him money, he'd be using it for something that I won't necessarily agree on.

I agree but food alone will not solve this situation, that's the depressing part.
Why so many homeless people in the UK? turning into a 3rd world country

I walk through town and at least 4 people ask me for "change". What's going on? thought we had an adequate welfare system.

A lot of landlords don't accept DSS and councils are useless.
Original post by The Socktor
A lot of landlords don't accept DSS and councils are useless.

Hmm to an extent but even then you can always move around the country and someone is bound to take you. Take Liverpool for example high levels of DSS. But i agree councils are useless (limited funds mind you).
Original post by NHM713
I could slap say the same. What's so unreasonable, the assumptions, the generalisation of vulnerable people, the total ignorance the much bigger picture.

What I've stated is correct.
Reply 27
Original post by strangesquark
I specifically said in my area, by which I meant the few surrounding streets. I'm ok with my comments for those streets, because I've passed by them enough to have a good idea.

Edit: Also I don't believe there is one underlying cause that's causing people to be homeless. Everyone's got a different reason. But there are some that you can group together, e.g. some people because they're escaping abuse, some because they're mentally ill and don't know how to access the help they need, some are on drugs, and some are immigrants from abroad who haven't got the language skills or financial security to support themselves. And obviously a lot of areas overlap, e.g. those who have been abused and have a mental illness. I'm just tell you what's at my street corners.

Generalising a small bunch of people is the same as generalising a large population of people. Just to let you know, an idea of something and an actuality of something are two different things.

It's very serious, if they are escaping for those reasons, and they should be looked upon with compassion and as apposed to irritation that I sensed from your first post.
I can't imagine any circumstance, where anyone would want to be homeless, so when you read comment from people that seem to forget the they are people too, I feel obligated to remind them.
women expose themselves less as being homeless is more dangerous as a woman
this is another reason why we don't need refugees here
They are mostly Eastern Europeans begging outside shops and sleeping rough. This is a reason why
they should be banned from entering the UK if they don't have a job lined up.
We should be like Australia, if they don't have some special skills then sorry they shouldn't be allowed to enter the country, Why should the gov give them a house, benefits and money after only being here for 3 months, the hospitals can't cope, schools are full up. Most can't speak English, almost always they will have an interpreter right there in my local GP
(edited 8 years ago)
Not really they will be looked after. Most the people i come across are white not sure if they are european immigrants but they speak good english. Most likely drug/alcohol dependency however that's been the case for years. The amount i'm coming across now is crazy. Surely more needs to be done. I've seen people handing out food but it's not enough when the weather will turn soon.

Sure, they will be looked after. What about our own homeless.
Original post by Carpe Vinum
Sure, they will be looked after. What about our own homeless.

This has to be some GCSE argument here. Many countries don't follow nationalistic doctrines any more. All we care about is economic productivity. Do you read the daily mail?

Being homeless clearly shows you have some sort of mental illness, addiction or simply don't want to be apart of society. Having hard working refugees travel half way across Europe. These are the people we need.
They are the victims of unfortunate circumstances and Government that cares about immigrants, refugees and prisoners more than about ordinary tax-paying citizens. Also, there are a lot of homeless veterans who can't acclimatise to normal life due to physical/mental traumas and that's the thing that saddens me the most.
Original post by _icecream
They are mostly Eastern Europeans begging outside shops and sleeping rough. This is a reason why
they should be banned from entering the UK if they don't have a job lined up.
We should be like Australia, if they don't have some special skills then sorry they shouldn't be allowed to enter the country, Why should the gov give them a house, benefits and money after only being here for 3 months, the hospitals can't cope, schools are full up. Most can't speak English, almost always they will have an interpreter right there in my local GP

Most i came across definitely seem'd like normal brits and spoke great english? .
This has to be some GCSE argument here. Many countries don't follow nationalistic doctrines any more. All we care about is economic productivity. Do you read the daily mail?

Being homeless clearly shows you have some sort of mental illness, addiction or simply don't want to be apart of society. Having hard working refugees travel half way across Europe. These are the people we need.

Lol so you're saying refugees deserve to be helped but our own homeless don't, because they deserve to be homeless? If you're not trolling you need to get your head checked mate, that's sick.
Most i came across definitely seem'd like normal brits and spoke great english? .

Well then it's where I live I always see Roma gypsy beggers everywhere. Always in my way when I go out shopping
actually, you have no evidence in your postings that the people talked about here are homeless.

The thread starts with talking about homelessness, but is actually about begging.

There is a guy near me who begs 7 days a week and is given cash and food. His mate sits on a blanket, they look pretty miserable.
Infact, they share a house, and have a smack habit.
Even the food donators are not "helping" as any money saved on having to buy food just goes on more smack.
There isn't enough houses being built and every year we have hundreds of thousands new arrivals taking up
the few houses that are left.
Original post by Carpe Vinum
Lol so you're saying refugees deserve to be helped but our own homeless don't, because they deserve to be homeless? If you're not trolling you need to get your head checked mate, that's sick.

Homeless already have systems set up which the government appears to seem are adequate. I've just killed your "argument". Live with it like.

More refugees in the UK the better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending