The Student Room Group

Computer always stalls on 'Configuring Windows updates' screen

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Elcor
Thanks a lot for your help :redface:

Is your PC running as smooth as butter now?
Reply 21
Original post by Abdi112
Is your PC running as smooth as butter now?

Actually, I'm sorry to say it just crashed again!
Reply 22
Could you grab the latest dump file and was it a bsod?

Posted from the outdated TSR Mobile app
Reply 23
Original post by Abdi112
Could you grab the latest dump file and was it a bsod?

It was a BSOD. For some reason the file will not upload to Dropbox or attach to the post, so here's a screencap from BlueScreenView of that especific crash, if there's any conclusions you can draw from it.

https://gyazo.com/6945b669f757dbbe11766194b91a2eb1
Reply 24
Original post by Elcor
It was a BSOD. For some reason the file will not upload to Dropbox or attach to the post, so here's a screencap from BlueScreenView of that especific crash, if there's any conclusions you can draw from it.

https://gyazo.com/6945b669f757dbbe11766194b91a2eb1

Run the update tool again and see if there are more drivers missing, run win update as well. Im going to PM you a pro key for the utility and you might find more outdated drivers
Reply 25
Original post by Abdi112
Run the update tool again and see if there are more drivers missing, run win update as well. Im going to PM you a pro key for the utility and you might find more outdated drivers

All up to date according to Driver Booster. I just had another crash, here it is:
https://gyazo.com/20434b7106587479abde0f01f35d705c
Reply 26
Original post by Elcor
All up to date according to Driver Booster. I just had another crash, here it is:
https://gyazo.com/20434b7106587479abde0f01f35d705c

This one is different, hardware issue. Remove your GPU and test. It can be any hardware component on your PC caused this new BSOD. Take it to your local repair center
Reply 27
Original post by Abdi112
This one is different, hardware issue. Remove your GPU and test. It can be any hardware component on your PC caused this new BSOD. Take it to your local repair center

I'm gonna take my GPU out and put it back in again, see if that works. Would running Memtest help? My RAM is old.
Reply 28
Original post by Elcor
I'm gonna take my GPU out and put it back in again, see if that works. Would running Memtest help? My RAM is old.

Do all the troubleshooting you can, can't pinpoint what the issue is but its hardware/driver issue

From your dump files, I'm seeing misaligned IPs, file system read errors and linked list corruption, PFNs to be precise.

Given that a lot of the dump files are encountering symbol errors, and page read in issues, granted they are minidumps, I'm almost certain you've got failing RAM.
Reply 30
Original post by Jared44
From your dump files, I'm seeing misaligned IPs, file system read errors and linked list corruption, PFNs to be precise.

Given that a lot of the dump files are encountering symbol errors, and page read in issues, granted they are minidumps, I'm almost certain you've got failing RAM.

Haha, love how relevant your avatar is to this.

So if I buy new RAM you think there's a fair likelihood my computer will stop getting BSODs? What's strange, and might be worth noting, is that I have one stick of RAM at the moment and tried swapping it to the other memory slot in my computer to see what happened, and my computer was crashing/refusing to turn on even more than usual. When I replaced it in its original position, my computer ran fine and hasn't crashed since.

Should I run Memtest to see if RAM is at fault here?
Reply 31
I'm now looking at new RAM I can buy. I ran a test on my motherboard because I know it's vital that the RAM is compatible with the MB. Here's the result: https://gyazo.com/3329508751dcee2a8779c295429b89d6
So my MB will support DDR3 RAM.

Can anyone recommend some RAM for me? I'm confused by the frequency quoted on the titles of RAMs on Amazon; what does this signify? For example, for this one it's 1866MHz: http://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-FURY-1866MHz-Memory-Module/dp/B00J8E91T0/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1443445347&sr=1-1

I'm thinking to go for 2 sticks of 4GB, but would it be that much better to get 2 of 8GB to get a total of 16GB? I'm willing to spend some more money if it makes my computer faster and more reliable, since I'm off to uni next week.

Here is my Speccy results again if that helps for recommending RAM: https://gyazo.com/ed30f7d25994f4b23d5151771b256cb1
Reply 32
Original post by Elcor
Haha, love how relevant your avatar is to this.

So if I buy new RAM you think there's a fair likelihood my computer will stop getting BSODs? What's strange, and might be worth noting, is that I have one stick of RAM at the moment and tried swapping it to the other memory slot in my computer to see what happened, and my computer was crashing/refusing to turn on even more than usual. When I replaced it in its original position, my computer ran fine and hasn't crashed since.

Should I run Memtest to see if RAM is at fault here?

Don't buy anything unless you are 100% sure the ram is causing issue, find spare ram or borrow from someone.

Reply 33
Original post by Abdi112
Don't buy anything unless you are 100% sure the ram is causing issue, find spare ram or borrow from someone.

I'll run Memtest tomorrow to check

also lol at 'the outdated TSR Mobile app'
Yes run memtest86+ to check for memory errors.
If it fails, try the other ram, are you sure it's compatible?
If that fails, you've either got a failing DIMM slot on the motherboard, or both ram sticks are dead.

My avatar is relevant because I spend a lot of time debugging these kinds of crashes.
Reply 35
Original post by Abdi112

Original post by Jared44
Yes run memtest86+ to check for memory errors.
If it fails, try the other ram, are you sure it's compatible?
If that fails, you've either got a failing DIMM slot on the motherboard, or both ram sticks are dead.

My avatar is relevant because I spend a lot of time debugging these kinds of crashes.

Memtest result was 0 errors on the 4GB RAM stick I'm currently using. Computer hasn't crashed in 3 days. Either it has fixed itself or it's taking a break!
Reply 36
Original post by Elcor
Memtest result was 0 errors on the 4GB RAM stick I'm currently using. Computer hasn't crashed in 3 days. Either it has fixed itself or it's taking a break!

It was most likely the driver issue, I wish computers fixed themselves from time to time but you usually end up with a headache most of the time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending