The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Love Through The Ages. Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gingerbread101
Hi everyone, I'm studying this too :h:
What texts is everyone doing for their coursework?

I'm looking into how tragically suicide is portrayed in the three texts, which I have chosen as:
Hamlet
The Picture Of Dorian Gray
The Bell Jar

I may change the texts, as I am undecided?? If anybody has any suggestions please let me know.
Original post by j0ydivision
I'm looking into how tragically suicide is portrayed in the three texts, which I have chosen as:
Hamlet
The Picture Of Dorian Gray
The Bell Jar

I may change the texts, as I am undecided?? If anybody has any suggestions please let me know.

How are you going to link that to love? :smile:
How are you going to link that to love? :smile:

The coursework doesn't have to be linked to love??
Original post by j0ydivision
The coursework doesn't have to be linked to love??

I think it does doesn't it? The course is called Love through the Ages after all? :confused:
I think it does doesn't it? The course is called Love through the Ages after all? :confused:

Nope, the whole of my class are doing coursework questions un-related to love. Plus my friend last year got full marks for writing about the supernatural?? You can 100% choose any subject matter, it doesn't matter if it's un-related to love!
Hi everyone, I'm studying this too :h:
What texts is everyone doing for their coursework?

Hey! I'm doing Othello, Enduring love and Lolita and I'm also doing the theme of obsession, how's your coursework going so far?
Original post by Louanneee
Hey! I'm doing Othello, Enduring love and Lolita and I'm also doing the theme of obsession, how's your coursework going so far?

A few of my friends are doing Lolita :smile:
My teacher is so slow and has only just discussed our titles with us and changed mine slightly so I basically have nothing done:unimpressed:
A few of my friends are doing Lolita :smile:
My teacher is so slow and has only just discussed our titles with us and changed mine slightly so I basically have nothing done:unimpressed:

That would be so annoying! There's only two people in my class and i'm the only one doing Lolita haha have you wrote out a plan yet? Do you like the choice of books you're doing?

Well no actually.

Only the exam unit is called Love Through the Ages and the coursework is called Shakespeare Study and Extended Essay.

The coursework can be about anything you want it to be. But unfortunately most teacher just go for Love Through the Ages theme because they cba to change or teach different texts.

I looked at how the corruption of morality lead to insanity in Othello, Dorian Gray and Enduring Love.
(edited 8 years ago)
how are you all so ahead on your coursework! i've nearly finished the second text out of three.
Original post by Louanneee
That would be so annoying! There's only two people in my class and i'm the only one doing Lolita haha have you wrote out a plan yet? Do you like the choice of books you're doing?

Yep, Antony and Cleopatra, Enduring Love and Far from the Madding Crowd :love:
We have like 20 people :tongue:
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Well no actually.

Only the exam unit is called Love Through the Ages and the coursework is called Shakespeare Study and Extended Essay.

The coursework can be about anything you want it to be. But unfortunately most teacher just go for Love Through the Ages theme because they cba to change or teach different texts.

I looked at how the corruption of morality lead to insanity in Othello, Dorian Gray and Enduring Love.

Just my teacher then :lol:
Reply 31
I'm doing the great gatsby, othello and pride and prejudice for my coursework. But I'm struggling to think of an essay title.
Any ideas??
Original post by eble
I'm doing the great gatsby, othello and pride and prejudice for my coursework. But I'm struggling to think of an essay title.
Any ideas??

Maybe look at how ambition is potrayed by male characters? Gatsby with his ambition for the American Dream, Iago's ambition to destroy and corrupt Othello and Mr Darcy's ambition to get Lizzie?

Now that's all I could of off the top of my head!
Reply 33
Thanks for the idea, I wouldn't think of doing the ambition behind the characters motives. But it seems like an interesting coursework topic.
My teacher recommended that I base my coursework on 'keeping up appearances' and reputation. This applies to all the novels but I'm not sure if it will be as effective.
Original post by eble
Thanks for the idea, I wouldn't think of doing the ambition behind the characters motives. But it seems like an interesting coursework topic.
My teacher recommended that I base my coursework on 'keeping up appearances' and reputation. This applies to all the novels but I'm not sure if it will be as effective.

Oooh that's quite an interesting one but at the same time really difficult.

But you could section it out as:

Point 1: Appearances vs. Reality
Point 2: Illusion and false reputation

I think my suggestion is easier. But I didnt get TGG even after reading it twice!
Could anyone give me any inspiration for my coursework, I've hit the wall (not literally obviously). My question is to do with the extent to which the suicides (or attempted suicide) in The Picture Of Dorian Gray, Hamlet and The Bell Jar are tragic? (also using the "the girl never really lived, so she never really died" quote from Dorian Gray as the pivotal point of my title)

Thank you :smile:
Hey I'm working on my coursework at the moment, my question focuses on feminism or lack of it in the three texts I'm studying. My teacher has told me I need to include critics views in my coursework, and this will sound stupid but I have no idea where to get critics views from. I've read a few papers via google scholar but does anyone have suggestions as to where else I can find critics views on my texts and themes?
I'm writing my coursework for AQA and my texts are Othello, The Great Gatsby and A view from the bridge. The question is about the presentation of the women as the tragic hero. However i'm unsure on how to begin the essay and thee structure of it. Any help is appreciated :smile:
If anyone is interested in quote banks for the WW1 or Love through the ages element, there are 2 great ones listed below:

WW1: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272089941148?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Love:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272089945657?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
If anyone is interested in quote banks for the WW1 or Love through the ages element, there are 2 great ones listed below!

WW1: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272089941148?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Love:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272089945657?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending