The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Love Through The Ages. Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ellioteeey
I'm writing my coursework for AQA and my texts are Othello, The Great Gatsby and A view from the bridge. The question is about the presentation of the women as the tragic hero. However i'm unsure on how to begin the essay and thee structure of it. Any help is appreciated :smile:

Intro - Outline your main arguement and 3/4 key points you will use to back it up
Original post by scrawlx101
Intro - Outline your main arguement and 3/4 key points you will use to back it up

Hi everyone! I'm also on this syllabus doing Romeo and Juliet, Wide Sargasso Sea and A View from The Bridge for coursework. We're also starting Wuthering Heights to use for wider reading.
The poetry aspect of English is really difficult for me, does anyone have any revision resources for the different types or poetry and eras? E.g. Ballads, Romanticism

Thank you. I need help :frown:
Original post by Ellioteeey

I did my coursework on Gatsby last year and I'm also doing A View from The Bridge this year! If you need any help feel free to ask me, I love coursework haha
I'm confused: is this thread for the new spec or old?
Original post by HeyThereItsKate
I'm confused: is this thread for the new spec or old?

This is only for A2 students; who started their AS in Sept 2014.

There is not a current thread for the, new specification.
Poets that we have been studying have been:
Thomas Hardy - A Ruined Maid (this covers prostitution)
John Keats - La Bella Dame sans Meri ( The beautiful woman without mercy)
Lord Byron - She Walks in Beauty
Christina Rossetti - Remember
a couple of Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes poems to cover the destruction of love.
Reply 47
Hi just hoping if people could give me a few ideas of advanced coursework titles for my a2 english aqa exam board courswork? Thank you!
Original post by User1102
Hi just hoping if people could give me a few ideas of advanced coursework titles for my a2 english aqa exam board courswork? Thank you!

This would work if you mention the texts you've read... I'm not going to give you my title if your topic is about women for example.
Could anyone suggest a good text which is about social status, or even incorporates social status a little? Thanks. :smile:
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Could anyone suggest a good text which is about social status, or even incorporates social status a little? Thanks. :smile:

Dubliners by James Joyce
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The Importance of Being Earnest/A Woman of No Importance (A lot of Wilde's plays focus on social status) by Oscar Wilde.
Original post by oswalds
Dubliners by James Joyce
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The Importance of Being Earnest/A Woman of No Importance (A lot of Wilde's plays focus on social status) by Oscar Wilde.

Thank you. Brave New World had never even occurred to me for some reason! :^_^:
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Thank you. Brave New World had never even occurred to me for some reason! :^_^:

That's alright :smile: I didn't think of it at first either, but there is actually loads you could write about it!
If anyone is interested in quote banks for the WW1 or Love through the ages element, there are 2 great ones listed below,

WW1: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272118411684?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Love: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272118411461?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
(edited 8 years ago)
Just found this and so glad! Finding this exam really quite hard but predicted an A... Got my mock next week but we've never actually done a question 2 in class! Can someone please tell me how they would structure it?
My course work is on the use of masks and disguises in Macbeth, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Jekyll and Hyde.
Anyone looking at the Duchess of Malfi, Great Gatsby or the Katherine Mansfield short stories e.g. Bliss?
Also I've heard the term 'heightened portrayal' used a lot for Gatsby but I'm not really sure what it means :/ does anyone have any quotes for it as an example and an explanation please?
Thanks guys!
I'm feeling pretty confident for English Literature, but hopefully the second question won't be too restrictive.

My teacher told me that not a lot of people study Chaucer, so I was curious whether any of you had?

Posted from TSR Mobile
done the millere's tale - its old eng and i hate it...give me purple hibiscus anyday
Nooo Chaucer is awesome! You only need to remember odd words of the extract, and you'll really impress your examiner by your expansive knowledge and be almost guaranteed full WR marks. How can you study Love Through The Ages without an appreciation for where it all started?

Never checked out Purple Hibiscus but I might at some point.
How many wider reading texts has everyone got? I'm unsure to whether we've look at too many, inside and outside of class!

Classwork

Prose: Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, Great Expectations, The Great Gatsby, Enduring Love and The Lovely Bones [apparently, it counts!]

Drama: A View From the Bridge, Top Girls, My Mother Said I Never Should, A Dol's House, Taming of the Shrew, The importance of Being Earnest.

Poetry: We've done over 20 in class, not counting the ones I've done individually... reoccuring ones that seem to link to everything are Sonnet 130, The Flea, and She Walks in Beauty. I am really struggling to find modern poets though.
Original post by lalalightwood
How many wider reading texts has everyone got? I'm unsure to whether we've look at too many, inside and outside of class!

Classwork

Prose: Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, Great Expectations, The Great Gatsby, Enduring Love and The Lovely Bones [apparently, it counts!]

Drama: A View From the Bridge, Top Girls, My Mother Said I Never Should, A Dol's House, Taming of the Shrew, The importance of Being Earnest.

Poetry: We've done over 20 in class, not counting the ones I've done individually... reoccuring ones that seem to link to everything are Sonnet 130, The Flea, and She Walks in Beauty. I am really struggling to find modern poets though.

You have a good range of wider reading there. Some that we have done that I have found useful are : Chaucer 'Canterbury Tales' (for really early poetry) , Carol Anne Duffy and Benjamin Zephaniah (love of country, race) for modern poets . Also I like W H Audens 'Funeral Blues'

I might aswell put my wider reading list up in case anyone finds it useful :smile: I based my list on others in the forum
Prose: A Handmaids Tale, The Color Purple, Jane Eyre , Tess of the d'Urbervilles, The Great Gatsby ,Frankenstein, and Animal Farm ( love of power)
I'm currently reading A Room without a view and I might read Oranges are not the only fruit

Drama: A Streetcar Named Desire, Top Girls, The Crucible, A Woman of No importance, The importance of being Earnest, A Dolls house, Macbeth, Othello, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Much Ado About Nothing

Poetry: Carol Anne Duffy (feminine gospels and worlds wife), Benjamin Zephaniah, W H Audens 'funeral blues , a few Shakespeare sonnets, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner , Chaucer ( A knights tale, A Millers tale and the Wife of Bath) and then some random poems that i can't remember off the top of my head

Quick Reply

Latest