The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Love Through The Ages. Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Atomicmat
Hmm so am I because plays and poems are easier to compare than poems and novels :frown: Who knows though!

Yeah :emo: and I find prose easier than two poems, for example :emo:

Didn't two poems turn up last year?
[QUOTE=SinsNotTragedies;64958417]Yeah :emo: and I find prose easier than two poems, for example :emo:

Didn't two poems turn up last year?

Two poems have come up three years in a row 😩
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Atomicmat
Two poems has come up three years in a row 😩

Better not come up this time round then! :rofl:
Reply 83

Can anyone help me find the AQA AS ENGLISH LITERATURE A (NEW SPEC) thread???

Hai guys,

Has anyone got any predictions for what will come up for question one? I know two poems have come up three years in a row, but I'm really hoping two drama texts will come up!

and what wider reading texts is everyone studying?
Original post by helenalikesyou
Hai guys,

Has anyone got any predictions for what will come up for question one? I know two poems have come up three years in a row, but I'm really hoping two drama texts will come up!

and what wider reading texts is everyone studying?

It's likely going to be two novel extracts. As you said, it's been 2 poems for three years, and before that it was two drama extracts for two consecutive exams, then before that it was two poems again. Anything could happen, but two novel extracts haven't been present for many years, which I'm glad about, as I despise analysing drama!
Original post by doctorwhofan98
It's likely going to be two novel extracts. As you said, it's been 2 poems for three years, and before that it was two drama extracts for two consecutive exams, then before that it was two poems again. Anything could happen, but two novel extracts haven't been present for many years, which I'm glad about, as I despise analysing drama!

Ah that's true actually... I suppose two prose extracts would be fine! I would hate to get two poems, I find that the most difficult! and aaah i love analysing drama, but I guess we all have our preferences:-) thanks!

what are your wider reading texts?
Not sure how to go about revision atm

I'm going over 5 poems , plays and prose texts for wider reading , but not sure how to improve analysing the actual texts in the exam :L ( poetry is the hardest for me )
Ah that's true actually... I suppose two prose extracts would be fine! I would hate to get two poems, I find that the most difficult! and aaah i love analysing drama, but I guess we all have our preferences:-) thanks!

what are your wider reading texts?

I'm completely different in that regard - I love analysing poetry and have tonnes of wider reading for it, so if there are two poems I'd practically die of happiness...

As for wider reading, in poetry I've just got the random stuff my teacher has given me. A fair amount of it is just from the past papers I've done, but I've also got Larkin, Tennyson (as I covered it for AS), and lots of poems from lots of different authors, from Shakespeare's sonnets to Thomas' And Death Shall Have No Dominion. I have poetry links for basically everything now so I'm hoping that the poem in the exam is a nice one.

For drama, I've covered Othello, Look Back in Anger, A Woman of No Importance, Death of a Salesman, and Mrs Warren's Profession in full, and I've got extracts from Lady Windermere's Fan, Tis Pity She's a Whore, The Changeling, Romeo and Juliet and probably a few others, plus the ones from past exam papers.

For prose, I've got The Kite Runner, North and South, Animal Farm, The Book Thief, The Monk, Brokeback Mountain, Tristram Shandy, Pamela, (extracts from) 1984, and the ones from the past exam papers.
Original post by TSR Mustafa

I'm going over 5 poems , plays and prose texts for wider reading , but not sure how to improve analysing the actual texts in the exam :L ( poetry is the hardest for me )

Analysing is difficult! I normally just read the texts over and over, analysing the language and what it suggests about love etc. If it's a drama text, I think about possible lighting and how it creates atmosphere, levels, costume, props etc and how it relates to the text/the type of love. I also find 'feminist theory' the easiest theory to use, so I tend to read the text once as a feminist critic and pick out any language or stage directions that show inequality or oppression against someone or a gender as a whole lol

I just did a few past papers or wrote plans and gave them to my teacher:smile: that was really beneficial, so you could do that to see if there are any areas to improve, in regards to analysing unseen texts! good luck:smile:
I'm completely different in that regard - I love analysing poetry and have tonnes of wider reading for it, so if there are two poems I'd practically die of happiness...

As for wider reading, in poetry I've just got the random stuff my teacher has given me. A fair amount of it is just from the past papers I've done, but I've also got Larkin, Tennyson (as I covered it for AS), and lots of poems from lots of different authors, from Shakespeare's sonnets to Thomas' And Death Shall Have No Dominion. I have poetry links for basically everything now so I'm hoping that the poem in the exam is a nice one.

For drama, I've covered Othello, Look Back in Anger, A Woman of No Importance, Death of a Salesman, and Mrs Warren's Profession in full, and I've got extracts from Lady Windermere's Fan, Tis Pity She's a Whore, The Changeling, Romeo and Juliet and probably a few others, plus the ones from past exam papers.

For prose, I've got The Kite Runner, North and South, Animal Farm, The Book Thief, The Monk, Brokeback Mountain, Tristram Shandy, Pamela, (extracts from) 1984, and the ones from the past exam papers.

As a Drama student, I would practically die of happiness if it were two drama texts!:wink: But hopefully we'll both come out of the exam feeling happy about it:-)

I have pretty much the same wider reading as you, my teacher has given me a poetry pack full of different kinds of love, which is good!

For prose, I've mainly got 'The Great Gatsby', 'The Lovely Bones', 'Birdsong' and a handful of quotes from past papers.

and for Drama, I've mainly focusing on 'A View from the Bridge' and 'Othello', however I also have quotes from past papers:smile:

Good luck!
As a Drama student, I would practically die of happiness if it were two drama texts!:wink: But hopefully we'll both come out of the exam feeling happy about it:-)

I have pretty much the same wider reading as you, my teacher has given me a poetry pack full of different kinds of love, which is good!

For prose, I've mainly got 'The Great Gatsby', 'The Lovely Bones', 'Birdsong' and a handful of quotes from past papers.

and for Drama, I've mainly focusing on 'A View from the Bridge' and 'Othello', however I also have quotes from past papers:smile:

Good luck!

Good luck to you too! As the exam is based around completely unseen extracts, I alternate between feeling happy and optimistic (as there's no chance I wouldn't be able to answer the questions, unlike in, say, History), and being terrified, as some of the past papers have been awful. But I'm sure it'll all pan out ok, especially as we've got nearly a full month to go!
Good luck to you too! As the exam is based around completely unseen extracts, I alternate between feeling happy and optimistic (as there's no chance I wouldn't be able to answer the questions, unlike in, say, History), and being terrified, as some of the past papers have been awful. But I'm sure it'll all pan out ok, especially as we've got nearly a full month to go!

Exactly, we'll all be absolutely fine! :-)
I think this is the last year AQA is doing this paper, (I might be wrong) so they might be nice to us!
Original post by TSR Mustafa

Have you done many practise papers? I do honestly think that the more of those you do, the better your skills will develop. I do find poetry the worst also, I wouldn't like that to turn up in the exam!
Are you also sorting into themes and techniques as you go along with your wider reading? Because I do this and I find that it helps as I can also identify themes in past papers I do and easily make links, I end up getting A/A* grades in the papers I do because of this method.
Hi guys,
I was quite confident about this exam until I looked at all the questions from the last years.
All we've been studying in detail is poems and we've focused a lot of time on comparing two poems, but as mentioned here, two poems has come up so many times and probably unlikely this time round! I really don't know how to tackle prose or drama extracts! What am I looking for or writing about? How do I compare them? If the question is prose/poem or drama/poem, how do I compare them? I'm just panicking a whole lot right now,
this is a cry for help!!! Any advice :zomg:
Reply 95

Good luck!

Yeah, same here.

For poetry, I have a wide range of different poems from different types of love.

For drama, I have Shakespeare's King Learn(unconditional love), Twelfth Night (Unrequited love/jealousy), The Merchant of Venice (romantic love and platonic love), as well as Othello (jealousy and obsession)

For prose, I have Great Gatsby, Picture of Dorian Gray, Jane Eyre and some quotes from John Keats' letters to Fanny Brawne.
Reply 96
Original post by natashaellenx
Hi guys,
I was quite confident about this exam until I looked at all the questions from the last years.
All we've been studying in detail is poems and we've focused a lot of time on comparing two poems, but as mentioned here, two poems has come up so many times and probably unlikely this time round! I really don't know how to tackle prose or drama extracts! What am I looking for or writing about? How do I compare them? If the question is prose/poem or drama/poem, how do I compare them? I'm just panicking a whole lot right now,

With two drama extracts, yes it does look daunting at first, but when you read it and find the meaning, it will be fine and then you can use contemporary drama techniques such as volte, climax, denouement etc...
Original post by natashaellenx
Hi guys,

Drama is probably the easiest to get makes for form. Just use the words entrance, exit, catharsis if something tragic happens and there's release, look at props, dramatic irony ( when the audience understand something the characters do not), talk about it being visual, use the word audience, and imagine how you'd stage it.

In terms of analysing language, it's pretty much the same as poetry and prose
Original post by amg96
With two drama extracts, yes it does look daunting at first, but when you read it and find the meaning, it will be fine and then you can use contemporary drama techniques such as volte, climax, denouement etc...

Original post by AnkitKapoor
Drama is probably the easiest to get makes for form. Just use the words entrance, exit, catharsis if something tragic happens and there's release, look at props, dramatic irony ( when the audience understand something the characters do not), talk about it being visual, use the word audience, and imagine how you'd stage it.

In terms of analysing language, it's pretty much the same as poetry and prose

Thanks for this guys, I know I'm not the person who asked - but I found it super helpful! :h:
How is everybody revising for this exam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending