The Student Room Group

Biology A-level

How do I do well in the subject?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

-From the whole A level biology course roughly 30-35% of the marks go towards memory and understanding- therefore just memorising content won't get you A and B grades, in which you'll need 70-80% of the marks
-huge emphasis on application!!! To do this you need to have a very good understanding of all the material and be able to apply your knowledge to different scenarios - to practice this you have past papers- past papers are vital
I haven't met one A*/A/B student that does not recommend past papers in their studies - it's very important

So you need a mixture of memory, understanding, application, and at A2 synoptic element so gather a the information you've learnt from AS and A2 and be able to write essays ( this depends on exam board)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spiritless98
-From the whole A level biology course roughly 30-35% of the marks go towards memory and understanding- therefore just memorising content won't get you A and B grades, in which you'll need 70-80% of the marks
-huge emphasis on application!!! To do this you need to have a very good understanding of all the material and be able to apply your knowledge to different scenarios - to practice this you have past papers- past papers are vital
I haven't met one A*/A/B student that does not recommend past papers in their studies - it's very important

So you need a mixture of memory, understanding, application, and at A2 synoptic element so gather a the information you've learnt from AS and A2 and be able to write essays ( this depends on exam board)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
Reply 4
But how do you understand things?
As stupid as it sounds
Original post by Loyale
But how do you understand things?
As stupid as it sounds

So, just say
A completely random scenario is given to you in the exam
You be able to answer it if you understood the concept,
However if you just memorised it you wouldn't be able to as you had just grasped the concept
Biology A level as a lot of application compared to GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Like for monosacharides and biochemistry stuff how'd you understand tht?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending