The Student Room Group

BPT - Strange paper

Did anyone sit the BPT paper today?

Came out thinking it was an advanced TC paper.
Reply 1
Yeah I did it. I'm pretty pissed off because I don't think it's what anyone prepared for.

I did the whole of the question bank and past papers so I would say I have had a decent practice. There's a strong chance that I failed that but wouldn't necessarily say it was my fault!
Reply 2
It didn't make sense why they were examining us on TC material, when there was so much available in BPT.

Also, those that had sat TC with BPT today would surely have had an advantage, due to the overlap of the material.
I have already started revision for December.

Also what are losses? :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
I don't know anyone who came out thinking it went well. It's such a poor exam and there's going to be a lot of people out there who are more than capable of passing but have just had a bad exam or panicked!

I didn't take my TC notes in with me so didn't really answer the second question very well at all! Even if I did take them in I doubt I'd have had time to go through them anyway.
I agree that the exam was strange. I thought I did okay, but it was harder than previous practice papers.

The first question was from a buyer's perspective, which is the least interesting from a tax perspective and throwed me a little. It had a tricky vat element to it. The cfc/pe sub-requirement was standard.

The second question was probably marked more for skills than tc knowledge tbh. You'd probably get more marks for having a go at how you'd work out the net-of-tax cost to the employer/grad, rather than knowing the nic treatment and ori for loan benefits (is in hard man's tho). I bet many candidates spent ages on this rather than attempt and move on. Agreed that it was tough and would panic many (including me). I also thought the share options requirement question was odd. Ethics was okay.

The third question was okay - gift with reservation of benefit, bpr, company buy-back of shares etc This was firmly in the syllabus. Last requirement required a bit of thought imo.

Just need 55 percent guys - good luck.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending