The Student Room Group

Urgent a level advice

I made a post a few weeks ago about my results for AS, unfortunately they were not as I had hoped, but I know I can achieve better.

My results:
EPQ - A
Chemistry - C
Biology - D
Maths - D
Computer Science - C

I need some urgent advice, I'm not sure if its best to carry on and retake my AS's and do my A2's as well or go back a year and resit year 12, but that means doing the new syllabus and staying for another 2 years and taking a gap year as Uni's will only look at me if i have the grades in hand after taking longer then 2 years for A levels. What do I do? I want to study medicine?
Original post by gregambrose
I made a post a few weeks ago about my results for AS, unfortunately they were not as I had hoped, but I know I can achieve better.

My results:
EPQ - A
Chemistry - C
Biology - D
Maths - D
Computer Science - C

I need some urgent advice, I'm not sure if its best to carry on and retake my AS's and do my A2's as well or go back a year and resit year 12, but that means doing the new syllabus and staying for another 2 years and taking a gap year as Uni's will only look at me if i have the grades in hand after taking longer then 2 years for A levels. What do I do? I want to study medicine?

Retake year 12 would be the best option I'd say, especially for Medicine. I retook year 12 last year and went from EEUU to ABC (7 UMS total off AAB), so for me it was well worth it. I'm not sure about unis not looking at you for it though because I'm applying this year for 2016 entry and have asked several unis (including Cardiff and Sheffield) if retaking year 12 was OK and they said it was. However, they did say it was different for Medicine. If you retake year 12 you will get much better predictions and therefore be able to apply to better unis.
Drop comp sci and resit math bio and chem while taking A2 and then apply in your gap year with relevant work experience? Seems like the best choice cause your completing it within the two years
Reply 3
Original post by emiloujess
Retake year 12 would be the best option I'd say, especially for Medicine. I retook year 12 last year and went from EEUU to ABC (7 UMS total off AAB), so for me it was well worth it. I'm not sure about unis not looking at you for it though because I'm applying this year for 2016 entry and have asked several unis (including Cardiff and Sheffield) if retaking year 12 was OK and they said it was. However, they did say it was different for Medicine. If you retake year 12 you will get much better predictions and therefore be able to apply to better unis.

Thanks, and yeah for medicine if you take longer then 2 years you have to apply when you have grades in hand! So theoretically I would be 2 years behind! So I'm a bit confused on what to do
Reply 4
Original post by JustDynamite
Drop comp sci and resit math bio and chem while taking A2 and then apply in your gap year with relevant work experience? Seems like the best choice cause your completing it within the two years

That was my original plan but to drop maths instead, but I'm worried about stretching myself too much, it would mean 10 exams next year! And I also have head boy duties now so I'm worried it could be too much!
Original post by gregambrose
Thanks, and yeah for medicine if you take longer then 2 years you have to apply when you have grades in hand! So theoretically I would be 2 years behind! So I'm a bit confused on what to do

I'd still retake, but if you don't want to be 2 years behind then just resit some modules.
Reply 6
Original post by emiloujess

EEUU is not the same as ACCDD you know. As for op it all depend, you can easily pull your grades up, but you have to be willing to sacrifice your life for a year and work absolutely hard.

Assuming you can resit 1st year modules then go ahead and carry on to year 2, else it's your call to continue or restart all together.

Quick Reply

Latest