The Student Room Group

Art/Design courses 2016 entry

Hi!

I'm really stuck when it comes to what I'm doing next year (2016 entry). I know I want to do a design based course rather than fine art etc but I'm unsure of which area I would like to go into. For this reason I think the best option for me is a Foundation.

Problem is, I'm from Northern Ireland and the courses here are limited. I would love to go to England/Scotland but I'm finding it hard to find foundation degrees. Also I am not sure if I would be able to get student loans/finance if its just for a foundation. I will have to pay for living expenses, accommodation etc. Has anyone else had the same problem as me??? Would I be better looking for an undergrad course with a year 0???

What uni's would you recommend for foundation or year 0??
Original post by haannahbee
Hi!

I'm really stuck when it comes to what I'm doing next year (2016 entry). I know I want to do a design based course rather than fine art etc but I'm unsure of which area I would like to go into. For this reason I think the best option for me is a Foundation.

Problem is, I'm from Northern Ireland and the courses here are limited. I would love to go to England/Scotland but I'm finding it hard to find foundation degrees. Also I am not sure if I would be able to get student loans/finance if its just for a foundation. I will have to pay for living expenses, accommodation etc. Has anyone else had the same problem as me??? Would I be better looking for an undergrad course with a year 0???

I'm a product designer - personally Im not sure that I would recommend doing a foundation degree for design, if youre talking product/industrial design - probably the best thing is if you ask me some more questions if this is something youre considering - im a design ambassador at Brunel and would recommend it :biggrin:
Reply 2
I'd say it's best to do a foundation year in Art and Design at Epsom or Camberwell or Central St Martins as in the foundation course you will emplore different types of Art and Design which will help you decide which degree to complete.
Reply 3
there is also 4 years art and design course at UCA which includes year 0, like games art, graphic design etc. All funded by government as well..
Original post by haannahbee
Hi!

We do a few foundation courses! We're an digital media and design institution based in South East London, right next to the O2 arena in Greenwich.

The foundations courses are a 1 year course with 3 different subject focuses; Foundation Diploma in Art and Design (Fashion and Textiles), Foundation Diploma in Art and Design (Design and Media), Foundation Diploma in Art and Design (Media Production). During your foundation year in each subject you get to study a range of things related to that then have the chance to narrow it down in your last terms.

If you are under 19 years old, the foundation degree is free..but at 19+ years old £2,500 - £4000; but there are also different scholarships or bursaries to support you while you are studying - not only from us but other student sites.

Hope this helps.

Do feel free to contact us if you have any questions :smile:

Bee :h:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest