The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

failed first year uni getted kicked out

this was my first of uni, i had 8 exams in total i had to pass to 6 modules to progress to second yr.
i fail in 3 of my modules, which i retook.
got the results today and i've failed. and now i am kicked out of the uni.
what should i do?
pls help!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by akadir01
this was my first of uni, i had 8 exams in total i had to pass to 6 modules to progress to second yr.
what should i do?
pls help!!

I am so sorry to hear. of your situation. Try and contact the admissions tutor on your course or your lecturer or something and speak to them, they may be able to offer suitable advice. Alternatively id that doesn't work, you could always try and ring other uni's to see if they'll take you on
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Can't you retake the year?
Original post by mserwaah123
I am so sorry to hear. of your situation. Try and contact the admissions tutor on your course or your lecturer or something and speak to them, they may be able to offer suitable advice. Alternatively id that doesn't work, you could always try and ring other uni's to see if they'll take you on

Sorry to hear of the bad news. It is highly likely that you will be able to repeat the 1st year again, however, if your university is 'kicking you out' - then you may be in a difficult predicament. Definitely try and contact admissions/course leaders and see what you can do.

It is highly unlikely a University will throw you under the bus.

I must add - if you do get to retake year 1, at any Uni - it sounds like you have to change your learning approach if you want to succeed.

Good luck.
Reply 4
what should i do?
pls help!!

Maybe use your a level results to apply for a quick clearing place. I know there are places still available at Northampton or even London Met.
Got to be honest here - if you can't pass the first year, even after resits, what makes you think you could handle the rest of the course? Be honest with yourself - if you still want to be at uni, what are you going to change to make it work?
Original post by Duncan2012
Got to be honest here - if you can't pass the first year, even after resits, what makes you think you could handle the rest of the course? Be honest with yourself - if you still want to be at uni, what are you going to change to make it work?

Fair point, however, we do not know of the individuals circumstances... this could also be the kick up the back side he/she needs to get into gear for the rest of uni.

That being said, if you were to fail an exam, your mentality suggests that you would think that you would fail the retake? So whats the point? - point is, we have a tendency to survive when we are on the edge.
Original post by Dazzzzzla
Fair point, however, we do not know of the individuals circumstances... this could also be the kick up the back side he/she needs to get into gear for the rest of uni.

That being said, if you were to fail an exam, your mentality suggests that you would think that you would fail the retake? So whats the point? - point is, we have a tendency to survive when we are on the edge.

The OP didn't mention any extenuating circumstances so I assume there aren't any. Failing the modules first time round should have been the kick up the backside they needed. As it stands the OP doesn't have a place at uni so there's no point 'getting into gear for the rest of uni'.

Failing a small number of modules I could understand. Failing the subsequent resits tells me OP is either lazy or not cut out for uni at this point in time. Even having significant mitigating circumstances would not justify this performance.
The OP didn't mention any extenuating circumstances so I assume there aren't any. Failing the modules first time round should have been the kick up the backside they needed. As it stands the OP doesn't have a place at uni so there's no point 'getting into gear for the rest of uni'.

Failing a small number of modules I could understand. Failing the subsequent resits tells me OP is either lazy or not cut out for uni at this point in time. Even having significant mitigating circumstances would not justify this performance.

They have not stated why they failed the modules, hence the reason I stated 'we do not know of' - but to assume that the OP failed due to laziness or lack of intellect is absurd in its own right. No, at present the OP does not have a place at Uni, but it could be the kick they need, for when they DO get back on track.

Are you being serious? "Having significant mitigating circumstances does not justify a below par performance?" So if the following occurred, this would not excuse them, to you?

a) Close family/friends passed
b) Illness?

Or anything else for that matter. I am talking hypothetically, but as you said 'having significant mitigating circumstances'; which is also hypothetical - I do believe you, quite frankly, talk out of you anus.

Listen OP - retake a year, or apply for another University through clearing, get stuck in and prove ********s like Duncan wrong. Do not listen to these wise guys who say you are not cut out for it and push yourself. You are in control of your life, and only you can can get from A-B. We all have a destination to get too, sometimes we take longer to get to it then we desire too.

On that note, good luck and peace x
I really don't mean to be rude but if you failed the first year of university after resits, then are you sure that university is the right path for you to take? It isn't suitable for everyone and you can have a great career without going to university. Most of my non-uni friends have gone on to have highly successful careers!

Maybe take some time out and try to decide what to do, you still have time!

Good luck.
Reply 10
The circumstances were that my grandad past away and I don't think I grieved properly, the second resonance was that I moved houses couple of weeks before the resit and I had no internet, myou Internet came on the 1st of September thus I wasn't able to revise properly. And finally I think I have social anxiety and that may be the main reason why when I failed coz I found it difficult to ask for help when I was struggling in the module.

And by the way I think I need to pass 1 module to progress. And I was 2 marks away from meeting the minimum requirement for 1 of the module.
They have not stated why they failed the modules, hence the reason I stated 'we do not know of' - but to assume that the OP failed due to laziness or lack of intellect is absurd in its own right. No, at present the OP does not have a place at Uni, but it could be the kick they need, for when they DO get back on track.

Are you being serious? "Having significant mitigating circumstances does not justify a below par performance?" So if the following occurred, this would not excuse them, to you?

a) Close family/friends passed
b) Illness?

Or anything else for that matter. I am talking hypothetically, but as you said 'having significant mitigating circumstances'; which is also hypothetical - I do believe you, quite frankly, talk out of you anus.

Listen OP - retake a year, or apply for another University through clearing, get stuck in and prove ********s like Duncan wrong. Do not listen to these wise guys who say you are not cut out for it and push yourself. You are in control of your life, and only you can can get from A-B. We all have a destination to get too, sometimes we take longer to get to it then we desire too.

On that note, good luck and peace x

Oh come on. I'm not here to sugar-coat the situation or pretend that everything's going to be all fine and rosy. OP doesn't need an attempt at a flowery motivational speech, they need to take a look at the reasons for failing to ensure they do not repeat them wherever they end up next.

Like I said, I could understand failing 3 modules. Failing them again as resists (presumably weeks or months later) shows that, for whatever reason, OP is unable to complete a university course at the moment. I've known people with illnesses and bereavements but they still managed to pass.

OP - do you have any mitigating circumstances?

OP - I posted my message before I saw your response. I'm sorry for your loss. Did you tell the university at the time it happened? I don't have any sympathy about the internet issue though. Even if you left your revision until the last minute there are still public libraries, mobile internet, internet cafes...
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh come on. I'm not here to sugar-coat the situation or pretend that everything's going to be all fine and rosy. OP doesn't need an attempt at a flowery motivational speech, they need to take a look at the reasons for failing to ensure they do not repeat them wherever they end up next.

Like I said, I could understand failing 3 modules. Failing them again as resists (presumably weeks or months later) shows that, for whatever reason, OP is unable to complete a university course at the moment. I've known people with illnesses and bereavements but they still managed to pass.

Duncan, I understand where you are coming from, I do. We are all different and deal with specific elements in a different way. For example, we all deal with exams in a different way, maybe a weak point for the OP - hence the failed attempts.

There are endless arguments for and against failing a year, and whether the OP will be ready for Uni. However, I do not find it helpful when someone suggests another person is not cut out for something as they failed. We all fail at something in life, does not mean we need to give up entirely. OP needs to get up, wipe down and get on with there studies.
Reply 13

OP - I posted my message before I saw your response. I'm sorry for your loss. Did you tell the university at the time it happened? I don't have any sympathy about the internet issue though. Even if you left your revision until the last minute there are still public libraries, mobile internet, internet cafes...

Tbh i don't think I told anyone about my grandad passing away not even to my friends till this day, u guys are the first people ive said it to.
Duncan, I understand where you are coming from, I do. We are all different and deal with specific elements in a different way. For example, we all deal with exams in a different way, maybe a weak point for the OP - hence the failed attempts.

There are endless arguments for and against failing a year, and whether the OP will be ready for Uni. However, I do not find it helpful when someone suggests another person is not cut out for something as they failed. We all fail at something in life, does not mean we need to give up entirely. OP needs to get up, wipe down and get on with there studies.

My original quote was "not cut out for uni at this point in time" which I still think is fair. Once OP can sort out whatever it is that's holding them back at the moment then I wish them well with their future, whatever that may be.

Other than that it sounds like we're on the same page, which is good :-)
looooooooooooooooooooooooool
The circumstances were that my grandad past away and I don't think I grieved properly, the second resonance was that I moved houses couple of weeks before the resit and I had no internet, myou Internet came on the 1st of September thus I wasn't able to revise properly. And finally I think I have social anxiety and that may be the main reason why when I failed coz I found it difficult to ask for help when I was struggling in the module.

And by the way I think I need to pass 1 module to progress. And I was 2 marks away from meeting the minimum requirement for 1 of the module.

Struggling to ask for help does not equate to social anxiety.

Also, how do you think that people revised before the birth of the internet?

I am sorry to hear about your grandfather passing away but you really need to decide if uni is the correct path for you. If you claim that you are unable to revise due to not having the internet, then it probably isn't.
Tbh i don't think I told anyone about my grandad passing away not even to my friends till this day, u guys are the first people ive said it to.

If you've kept it to yourself then maybe it was affecting you more than you realised. People usually find it helps to talk in situations like this - do you have anyone you can talk to (family member or a friend)? Maybe consider contacting a counseling service? Everyone is different, but you will need to eventually find a way to move on with your life. I can't say how long that'll take but I wish you well for your future :-)
Reply 18
I got a feeling that i wont progress so do u think its best to go through clearing at another uni coz i really like going to uni?
Reply 19
"getted"?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending