The Student Room Group

Mphil Management Cambridge 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by EconomistJack
Something Management/Econ related - haven't done much research since it's sort of a back up and the applications don't even open for four/five months!

I've got a first class in economics from a 20th ranked UK university, did an internship in china this summer, one internship on an academic research project, couple of student council/leadership positions at university.

I have no idea about my chances - spoken to a couple of people from Cambridge who think I have a shot but I'm sure my profile is pretty typical.
What about yourself?

Yeah, I guess it all comes down to references and essays really. Every applicant is bound to have a first class degree. I've also spoken to a few alumni, but at the end of the day they're not the ones picking the candidates, unfortunately :wink2:

CBS have got a lot of solid master's degrees. Remember though, they are two years. If you've done the GMAT I would look into SSE, too.
Reply 41
Original post by Alexwin
Yeah, I guess it all comes down to references and essays really. Every applicant is bound to have a first class degree. I've also spoken to a few alumni, but at the end of the day they're not the ones picking the candidates, unfortunately :wink2:

CBS have got a lot of solid master's degrees. Remember though, they are two years. If you've done the GMAT I would look into SSE, too.

Yes, you are right, actually every applicant to this course at least has a first class degree. So I think they will look for some extremely high marks (i.e 80%+ 85%+).
Original post by Zhedong
Yes, you are right, actually every applicant to this course at least has a first class degree. So I think they will look for some extremely high marks (i.e 80%+ 85%+).

I'm not sure, I interpret it slightly differently. Since everyone has great academics, they will want some other variable to set an applicant apart from the rest. I may be mistaken, but I don't think they will value an applicant with above 80% especially more than one with 75% and a good overall profile? Taking a look at some of the older threads on TSR, there are examples of people being accepted with a low first. Maybe I'm wrong though!
Reply 43
I'm not sure, I interpret it slightly differently. Since everyone has great academics, they will want some other variable to set an applicant apart from the rest. I may be mistaken, but I don't think they will value an applicant with above 80% especially more than one with 75% and a good overall profile? Taking a look at some of the older threads on TSR, there are examples of people being accepted with a low first. Maybe I'm wrong though!

No, I am not saying your argument is wrong, I am on your side. I am just thinking that actually every applicant to this course has a overall good-looking profile (one or two internship, some leading roles in school and several projects) just like everybody got a first class degree. Nowadays to find a student without internship or without any leading role in school is difficult. That is why I am thinking maybe low first class is good but not enough for this course at Cambridge. But I really don't know how they judge students, maybe I am wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)
Anyone already submitted application?
I just submitted last week and all my references just came in a couple days ago.
My status is now at "Awaiting Consideration by Department"
How is anyone else's status?
Reply 45
Original post by miremind
Anyone already submitted application?
I just submitted last week and all my references just came in a couple days ago.
My status is now at "Awaiting Consideration by Department"
How is anyone else's status?

I sent my application in last Friday, still waiting for one professor to send his reference. Getting stressed out, even though it's nine days remaining. Then another 5-6 months of waiting...
Original post by Alexwin
I sent my application in last Friday, still waiting for one professor to send his reference. Getting stressed out, even though it's nine days remaining. Then another 5-6 months of waiting...

I feel you! I'm exactly in the same situation last week. Hope everything worked out fine for you. My current status is now changed to "Under Consideration by Department". Ouf... off to go for the long wait.....
I feel you! I'm exactly in the same situation last week. Hope everything worked out fine for you. My current status is now changed to "Under Consideration by Department". Ouf... off to go for the long wait.....

Submitted mine roughly a month ago!

There is a "degree committee" meeting this Tuesday for JBS, but I really doubt we will see any changes on our applications!
http://www.student-registry.admin.cam.ac.uk/files/dc_meeting_dates_-_2015-16_v2.pdf

There is a "degree committee" meeting this Tuesday for JBS, but I really doubt we will see any changes on our applications!
http://www.student-registry.admin.cam.ac.uk/files/dc_meeting_dates_-_2015-16_v2.pdf

wow that's useful information, thanks!
perhaps a little change from department to degree committee?
Reply 49
All referees in! Now, the wait from hell.

wow that's useful information, thanks!
perhaps a little change from department to degree committee?

I remember seeing in previous threads that some people actually got conditionals in December, so with a bit of luck...
Original post by Alexwin
All referees in! Now, the wait from hell.

I remember seeing in previous threads that some people actually got conditionals in December, so with a bit of luck...

I applied for this programme last year and got my conditional offer on Dec. 5th. The application was submitted at the end of October.
Reply 51
Original post by sarahma12
I applied for this programme last year and got my conditional offer on Dec. 5th. The application was submitted at the end of October.

Thank you for the input! Do you mind telling us if you chose to study at JBS, and if so, what are your impressions so far?
Original post by sarahma12

Wow that's fast - do you remember if it went to degree committee after department? Or straight to BoGS?
Still under consideration by department :s-smilie:
anyone had a change yet?
Same here! Not expecting to hear back soon to be honest, but the post above is giving me a bit of hope!
Reply 55
Still under consideration by department :s-smilie:
anyone had a change yet?

Same here! Not expecting to hear back soon to be honest, but the post above is giving me a bit of hope!

Same here, nothing new but as you say, we shouldn't expect anything until late March/early April really...
Hey everyone! I've made an application to MPhil in Management as well. Not sure what are my chances!! Fingers crossed**

Good luck everyone!!
Original post by r0xybrat
Hey everyone! I've made an application to MPhil in Management as well. Not sure what are my chances!! Fingers crossed**

Good luck everyone!!

Hello! welcome to the club :wink:
Any idea when is the earliest we will receive an offer? :smile:
Original post by r0xybrat
Any idea when is the earliest we will receive an offer? :smile:

People on last year's thread started to receive offers around this time of year... However in previous years it was much later. Can't tell if 2014 was an exception or they will take a few more months! The course website says that we shouldn't expect an outcome before the end of March.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending