The Student Room Group

Dazzlas Velocity Diet (One that will actually be finished)

Scroll to see replies

Going

Going

Going

Goneeeee

Rollerball. Check. Mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Angry cucumber
Going

Going

Going

Goneeeee

Rollerball. Check. Mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And we have a brown nose right here.

I guess the cucumber is rather fitting (excuse the pun) for yourself? I presume it is the shape?
Reply 22
Original post by RollerBall
Alright, I'm going to mostly ignore all the bull**** about "doing my research" and that my diet is terrible. Just one question though, do you honestly believe cosmo and BB.com are adequate sources for nutritional information? I've also never said that the guy's diet had the same or better nutrition as yours, simply that your post was full of inaccuracies - perhaps you should better revise your comprehension before you call out others.

Here are a bunch of studies that back up everything I've stated.

Regarding GI of foods:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12081854?dopt=Abstract&holding=npg
Cliffs if you don't have access: GI is complex and altered by lots of different factors + there is no evidence that spikes or fluctuations in serum insulin levels are bad for you, unless you already have type II diabetes (which is associated with weight and body composition/total kcal intake and NOT if you eat high GI foods.

Regarding salt, I never said you weren't eating any salt. However, there isn't any in your shakes. If you aren't adding any to your one solid meal (around 1 tsp) then you won't be getting enough, my main message was about when you said salt was associated with blood pressure though. Here's a study examining salt intake and hypertension: http://ajh.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/09/03/ajh.hpu164
Cliffs: Elevated BMI and age and alcohol intake was associated with hypertension, salt and physical activity was not (however, high dietary salt levels were associated with higher BMIs in men)

I'm asking you for clarification regarding what benefits there are over casein vs whey. Since you haven't answered, instead giving me a bunch of bull**** here's a good & well sourced article, explaining that the frequency of meal timings is irrelevant. You could have all your shakes inside of three hours and it wouldn't matter one iota. http://examine.com/faq/do-i-need-to-eat-six-times-a-day-to-keep-my-metabolism-high. Whilst I don't usually like linking articles, examine.com does an extremely good job at referencing. I've looked at a handful but it's easier to just link you the article since you seem like you might enjoy digging through the sources. Here's another meta-analysis showing that there isn't even a benefit to eating peri-workout http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5. If I've missed the mark and the benefits are nothing to do with meal timing or frequency then you can ignore most of this if you're aware of it, however you've hardly been clear and I'm honestly not aware of why casein would be of particular benefit in this scenario.

Finally, here's another very good article (http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/does-dietary-saturated-fat-increase.html) examining lots of papers showing the lack of a link between serum cholesterol and dietary saturated fat. Here's also two big studies showing that there is no link between dietary sat fat and heart disease (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648?dopt=AbstractPlus) and actually may be associated with a lower risk of stroke (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20685950?dopt=AbstractPlus). I mean, if you actually think about it for a moment it doesn't really make sense - we don't just absorb things straight from the gut into our blood stream.

If you want to have a reasonable discussion about nutrition and the underlying evidence, leave your prejudices and aggression at the door. If you're not going to tackle points and instead reply with calling me out that I don't lift, I don't know the research (then link bb.com for Christ sake) or that my diet is terrible I'm not going to bother having a conversation with you.

I am actually interested in how you fair on this diet - I don't understand why you've reacted so negatively to my initial post... I also would have thought it would be quite clear why it could potentially have an impact on your mental health eating pretty much the same thing every day, the phrase "variety is the spice of life" springs to mind but I digress...

PS. Good luck with the myprotein supergreens - I've had them as a free sample before and couldn't manage one shake!

Cosmo - never heard of it. BB is actually a very good place to source information. I wouldn't suggest to use such a site for core information. There was no inaccuracies in what I actually said;

Complex Carbohydrates are better than just simple carbohydrates - ie, green vegetables & sugar. My point about other nutrients was that sugar cube will not carry any other nutrients, as it is simple. Whereas, a a Broccoli will carry nutrients, such as Vitamin A & C. If we get all of my carbohydrates in a simple state - that is not going to benefit anyone? I acted how I acted because you are suggesting that they're equivalent in nutritional value. I asked in my original post - "what would work better?" - so in your opinion, what would? Because you then gave me the "GI of foods does not have an impact on anything". I am not discrediting simple carbs, as fruit contains simple carbs in the form of fructose. But my reply was to the OPs post about a sugar cube.

I then replied about the excessive salt in the OPs Mcdonalds meal. I also stated that salt increases water retention - which is correct, and with water retention, there is bloating. I then suggested that the OPs approach would give him higher blood pressure, thus resulting in a higher chance of heart attacks etc. You pointed out with a source that there is no link between salt and hypertension. You do have a valid point, However, do you think that a McDonalds diet could elevated BMI? I think so, and this could be due to the excessive salt intake, as well as other factors. Thus, an elevated BMI - as you suggested, linked with hypertension.

Again with the Fats, I suggested that EFA is better than saturated and trans fats - Am I wrong? Here is an article by the NHS (if that is not credible, then please tell me why not. Here -http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/Fat.aspx - it starts like so "Too much fat in your diet, especially saturated fats, can raise your cholesterol, which increases risk of heart diseases".

So what inaccuracies are in the above?

Again, I did not state that meal timings are relevant, neither did I say that I need to eat at certain times because of certain benefit. It is simply so I can feed myself and feel as if I have eaten. I said that I need to feed every 3 hours, and as whey breaks down quicker - it will leave me hungry and feeling lethargic. Casein will clog in the stomach and break down slower, which of course leads to me not being as hungry as quickly. If I got hungry to the point of light headed, I would probably eat a simple carbohydrate for a quick energy source. I did not state that casein is better than whey as a protein, I have only stated that it is better suited to a shake only diet. So it is literally only the fact that it is a slower breakdown of protein that it is beneficial to this scenario.

Lastly, where your links are great, the NHS states different. We can both agree that there are a million articles out there with a different view. Even if saturated fat is not linked to heart disease, I did only state that I will be getting my essential fatty acids - which the body do not produce alone. Hence the omega liquid in the diet. I could link in many sources which say the opposite to you - and you could do the same. You said earlier that BB.com is not a good source, so if The National Health Service (NHS) says that there is a link - then to me, there is a link. That does not mean they don't have another article that contradicts this, or they will change their viewpoint. Likelihood that they have, or will, is probably high.

I would like a good discussion about nutrition. Fair point, apologies for the prejudice and the calling out. I do believe that none of my statement in my reply to the OP had inaccuracies. It appeared that you coming across as negative, so I simply 'returned the favour'. Main point being that this is a log about what I am doing, if people do not like it, or agree with it, then I do not know why they are commenting. For example - Mcdonalds guy suggesting I would get the same results with 'real food' - I know I can get results with 'Real food' but I have chosen this way as it is simplistic in its nature.

As am I, either it works like a treat, or it does not. We shall see. Well that's ridiculous - eating the same thing everyday? That's the same as saying that routine (work/gym/tv/study) has an impact on mental health. Whereas nutrition is concerned, it is fair to say I am getting the nutrients I need.

Appreciated - the whole shake is actually good. I mix them on a consistent basis (almost like a steroid laboratory). I just had Omega 3 liquid followed by a shake (Flaxseed, Inulin, L-Leucine, Superfoods and Casein) - all unflavoured, so I add Raw Cacao powder or Strawberry flavouring to spice it up.
(edited 8 years ago)
In.
Reply 24
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
In.

Welcome.

Just so you are aware my folks;

Day 1 weight - 89.9
Day 5 (today ) weight - 85.7

I will do bodyfat % on Friday.
Original post by Dazzzzzla
And we have a brown nose right here.

I guess the cucumber is rather fitting (excuse the pun) for yourself? I presume it is the shape?

Lol someone is salty having been rekt. Nice and mature there
Reply 26
Lol someone is salty having been rekt. Nice and mature there

"Rekt?" Read my reply, hardly "Rekt" Mate.
"Rekt?" Read my reply, hardly "Rekt" Mate.

Your evidence <<<<< Rollerballs evidence

Sometimes you're just wrong, it takes someone above making anal jokes when one is rekt to realise it.
Reply 28
Your evidence <<<<< Rollerballs evidence

Sometimes you're just wrong, it takes someone above making anal jokes when one is rekt to realise it.

The abstract that Rollerball linked regarding GI foods is not viable evidence. If you actually went on the link - it is dated 2002. 13 years ago.

If you didn't - here you go:

Abstract Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Jul;76(1):290S-8S.

It has been suggested that foods with a high glycemic index are detrimental to health and that healthy people should be told to avoid these foods. This paper takes the position that not enough valid scientific data are available to launch a public health campaign to disseminate such a recommendation. This paper explores the glycemic index and its validity and discusses the effect of postprandial glucose and insulin responses on food intake, obesity, type 1 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. Presented herein are the reasons why it is premature to recommend that the general population avoid foods with a high glycemic index.

He made some great points that I will take on board. Brown nosing isn't cool mate.

Besides thinking I got "Rekt" Read my reply and tell me how any of what I am saying was wrong? Alongside that, it is a converse between myself and Roller, it isn't about "Rekt"ing one another.

Enjoy your day cucumber, the anal joke was all in jest. Take it with a pinch of salt, but only a pinch.
**** me

lol
Reply 30
Day 5 done. (only an 11pm shake)

Training:

HIIT - 10 Minutes
Back (Pull ups, reverse cable flies, cable ratator cuff pulls, Bent over rows overhand & underhand grip, Wide grip inverted pull downs)
Abs

DONE!

Nutrition; great again - ate more than I should have. 3x coffees today (black, no sugar)
Reply 31
Day 6:

What a beautiful day.

Solid legs session done in the AM. Squats were poor today, lethargic and tired from the little one keeping me up half the night. Still got 3 sets of 120 out (3 reps each) and 115 (3 reps) followed by a few 100kg squats.

Shakes were good, not entirely happy with the taste of them with the L-leucine but I'll have to cope. 22 days.

Bodyfat% and measurements on Friday.

Be interesting to see what numbers I pull out.
Reply 32
Day 7:

Interesting session today at the gym. Pulled out 70kg Standing overhead presses... most I have done since my training revamp 4 months ago. Session (shoulders) was not all that good to be honest. I went early and felt lethargic throughout.

I also uploaded a few videos to youtube (first time I have ever bothered)

I have been preaching the last few days to others about form and full range of motion. I think it is important to stay true to your word and implement what you say into actions. There are 2 sets of squats (both 3 reps) of 100kg, and 120kg.

I have been called out for lack of knowledge, lack of quads, and been told that my gains are solidarity to Hypertrophy (I am doing strength work in the gym whilst on the V-Diet) and Aesthetics (this one is true because I do want to look good).

So I have decided to also upload a further photo which shows the equipment I use before bed - solely for mobility and fibre straightening. The majority of people don't even stretch before (dynamic) or after (static/PNF, let alone at night, morning.

I have for specifics (including myofascial release):

Lacrosse Balls
Foam roller (in my bedroom)
All types of resistance bands
Chalk (I don't ever use straps or belts - own preference)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqW7a6SJuKk (120kg)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hOg7F3jchQ (100kg)

Measurements tomorrow - rather anxious.
Reply 33
Day 7:

Interesting session today at the gym. Pulled out 70kg Standing overhead presses... most I have done since my training revamp 4 months ago. Session (shoulders) was not all that good to be honest. I went early and felt lethargic throughout.

I also uploaded a few videos to youtube (first time I have ever bothered)

I have been preaching the last few days to others about form and full range of motion. I think it is important to stay true to your word and implement what you say into actions. There are 2 sets of squats (both 3 reps) of 100kg, and 120kg.

I have been called out for lack of knowledge, lack of quads, and been told that my gains are solidarity to Hypertrophy (I am doing strength work in the gym whilst on the V-Diet) and Aesthetics (this one is true because I do want to look good).

So I have decided to also upload a further photo which shows the equipment I use before bed - solely for mobility and fibre straightening. The majority of people don't even stretch before (dynamic) or after (static/PNF, let alone at night, morning.

I have for specifics (including myofascial release):

Lacrosse Balls
Foam roller (in my bedroom)
All types of resistance bands
Chalk (I don't ever use straps or belts - own preference)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqW7a6SJuKk (120kg)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hOg7F3jchQ (100kg)

Measurements tomorrow - rather anxious.

what's your BW?
Reply 34
Original post by a10
what's your BW?

83kg at present
Reply 35
83kg at present

what was your BW when you started this diet?

Edit: Just seen your start weight nvm, well done! Keep up the progress :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by a10
what was your BW when you started this diet?

Day 1 was 89kg
Day 2 was 86.6 (so I am presuming my day 1 was wrong in some way)

So 86.6kg
Nothing wrong with training for aesthetics. Training goals and what motivates people are personal things.

Very few people who go to the gym will/want to step on stage or the platform, so **** 'em.

This is from somebody who trains pretty much solely for stength too.

EDIT: It's pretty hard to evaluate squat form from a front angle but look legit. Nevermind, just watched 100kg - only really looked at depth because I'm on a bus but looks good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
Day 1 was 89kg
Day 2 was 86.6 (so I am presuming my day 1 was wrong in some way)

So 86.6kg

Hmm it may have been water weight....depending on how your body reacts to high sodium levels/or water intake. I've noticed personally on days I drink a lot of water I can gain like 2-4 kilos that day but the next day after I've peed and weighed myself you get a much better representation!
Reply 39
Original post by a10
Hmm it may have been water weight....depending on how your body reacts to high sodium levels/or water intake. I've noticed personally on days I drink a lot of water I can gain like 2-4 kilos that day but the next day after I've peed and weighed myself you get a much better representation!

Yeah I put it down to water/waste weight. But I notice in the morning when I step on my scales that it will weigh one kilo less, the second time plus - it is always one kilo lighter.

Either way - it is weight dropped. My main focus is on bodyfat%. Since I had my son last December - I slacked, slacked so hard and was up to over 20% bodyfat. I have never been about 15% in my life ha. (Don't have kids if you are lifting, only joking - best thing that ever happened)

Quick Reply

Latest