The Student Room Group

St Andrews Medical School Applicants - 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jeff548
Congratulations!

Scottish aspiring medic here, hoping to apply for St Andrews and also Aberdeen!!!

Any tips? If possible, could you let me see your personal statement? Only if this is okay? If you want to pm it that's okay otherwise I understand.

Really nervous about the interviews because I am a shy person.

Congratulations again and please help! :smile:

Hey, just ensure that you have a good ukcat score and practice a lot for the interview. There are many books which help. You shouldn't worry.
Original post by duaa-musa
Hey, just ensure that you have a good ukcat score and practice a lot for the interview. There are many books which help. You shouldn't worry.

What were your stats that you applied with?
Reply 442
Original post by Dzidze
International Offer!! Can't believe it :O Interview was on the 16th of March. I'm also a re-applicant :biggrin:

Congratulations for receiving an offer! Any chance you could give some tips about the interview or info about the questions?
Reply 443
[QUOTE=xxyyzz;63522647]Congratulations for receiving an offer! Any chance you could give some tips about the interview or info about the questions?

Thank you! While I am not allowed to discuss or reveal the interview questions, I can give you some tips on how I prepared 😊 Firstly the interview was very friendly, so you should not be scared. To prep I firstly went to the St A website to check what they were assessing at the interview which was interpersonal skills, communication and knowledge of a career in medicine or something like that. I then got ISC medical's Medical school interviews book which is something I would highly recommend, it has so many questions and a small MMI section that goes through the different MMI stations you may encounter. I highly suggest going through the entire book at least once. For role plays I got someone I could practice with, it also helped that I had had another MMI interview the week before from QUB. I also went through medical ethics issues, on YouTube there's a channel course grinder that has sample MMI questions and how to go about them. There is also a website I found for med ethics (https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/) though I'd suggest only roughly going through it because you're probably not expected to know all that. Also bare in mind it's based on American law which might be slightly different from uk. But the site is good cause it gives scenarios and a discussion of how to go about it as well. I also read the GMC good medical practice guide, went through UKCAT situational judgment section and went through BBC health news. I may have over done my prep if I'm honest but that's because I am a reapplicant and after completely messing up my only interview last year due to not prepping enough I knew I needed to get it right this year. Once you're at the interview just try to relax, be confident and smile. Don't worry too much if you mess up a station.

Sorry for the essay and All the best! 😊
Reply 444
Does anyone know if the fees listed on the St Andrews website for "Overseas - Medical Science" is referring to the A100 program? https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students/money/tuitionfees/feestable/
Zitka, yes those are for A100.

Anyone knows how St Andrews-Manchester compares with Newcastle?
Reply 446
How do you find out if you're on waiting list for St. A? Do they even have one?
Rejections and offers came out today for some people, I was rejected and so was my friend. :frown:
2 of my other friends were given offers, anywho good luck with your progress to St. Andrews guys!
Got an offer today! Track updated 11:12 :smile:
Offer received today at 11:12! Scottish school leaver with conditions of BBB, really really excited:biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Dzidze
Have any international students heard back ?

I did! I'm a Canadian international though so I applied for A990!
Reply 451
Original post by Adeolu14
I did! I'm a Canadian international though so I applied for A990!

Congratulations! I'm also international (a100 though), I actually heard back two days after posting 😅
Is 650 enough for St Andrews? Someone please tell me ASAP!
Original post by peanutbutterx
Is 650 enough for St Andrews? Someone please tell me ASAP!

yes, as long as your other areas are strong. 650 is around average. in my experience St Andrews gives the easiest interviews. good luck!
Hey does anyone know the work experience requirements for St Andrews? I am wondering if i need to do any more
hello !! ive just had my st andrews interview to hopefully enrol this coming september, but i was hoping some english applicants would still be following this thread so i could ask what your offers were!! if there are i would so so appreciate u saying what they are as im desperately tryna make sure if i DO get an offer i can reach the grades! thank you!! and well done for getting in !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending