The Student Room Group

I need help with my 3rd year dissertation!

Hey,

I'm really struggling to figure out how to make my 3rd year dissertation ideas into an 'experiment' my supervisor said that I need to make my current 'correlational' ideas into an experiment.

So I want to look into how personality: using the Big 5 model of personality can change the way we take part in politics, e.g. being a extraverted person means we are more likely to take part in protests, or political discussion. She said that I should integrate another theme into it and also include a 'manipulation' to make it a more interesting subject and to make it an experiment, but I have no clue what to manipulate, as it is extremely difficult to manipulate personality as it's a naturally occurring thing. The added theme I wanted to look into was women's rights, or feminism.

I'm so confused! I have such a block going. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thankks!
Alice
Perhaps you could try to simplify this.
For example, think of manipulating personality just by itself. It is possible for sure. For example, I am the kind of person with a very open personality and a love of chocolates. So if in order to get some great chocolates I had to be closed up, this would manipulate my personality.
You can also try getting some ideas here - http://goo.gl/RHXaS5 and then including the ideas into your work and putting it all together.
Original post by AliceVict
Hey,

I'm really struggling to figure out how to make my 3rd year dissertation ideas into an 'experiment' my supervisor said that I need to make my current 'correlational' ideas into an experiment.

So I want to look into how personality: using the Big 5 model of personality can change the way we take part in politics, e.g. being a extraverted person means we are more likely to take part in protests, or political discussion. She said that I should integrate another theme into it and also include a 'manipulation' to make it a more interesting subject and to make it an experiment, but I have no clue what to manipulate, as it is extremely difficult to manipulate personality as it's a naturally occurring thing. The added theme I wanted to look into was women's rights, or feminism.

I'm so confused! I have such a block going. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thankks!
Alice

hello,
i am in my third year as well at Newman University, this dissertation sounds very interesting. but there are many things that can manipulate your personality, like nature nurture debate, you can look at being a girl and how the expectations from the discrimination effects the way women integrate politics. politics is a very male field and women's voice is very quite, how dose that effect the way girls view politics and dose that differ depending on your personality. hope this helps :smile:
Hey people can you kindly fill out my questionnaire for my dissertation project please, I would really really appreciate it as I only need 20 female participants!

Thank you the link is below - I'll do yours in return

http://goo.gl/forms/Qk8h4U0AYY

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending