The Student Room Group

Can I get in to uni with 2 A-Levels?

Hi, I was wondering if I'd still be able to have an option to go to university if I were to drop my 3rd A Level option.

I did 5 AS Levels (AABBD) and I aim in receiving 2 A's at A2

Would a university still accept me? I want to drop my 3rd option because the entire course got switched and I feel as though it'll restrict me from doing well in the 2 subjects I wish to persue (socio and psy) the option I want to drop is photography

Also, would I even be allowed to drop a subject if I've already dropped my 4th?
You might still get a place at university however it would not be a very good one - unfortunately not enjoying all your subjects and finding them to be a hindrance is all a part of a levels. I think carrying on with 3 is the best way to go considering you have good AS grades which will you guarantee you a nice uni spot - hopefully.
Original post by rmmx
Hi, I was wondering if I'd still be able to have an option to go to university if I were to drop my 3rd A Level option.

Would a university still accept me? I want to drop my 3rd option because the entire course got switched and I feel as though it'll restrict me from doing well in the 2 subjects I wish to persue (socio and psy) the option I want to drop is photography

I doubt you would get in with 2 a-levels.
There might be the odd course that would let you but if there was then you would be severely restricted in what unis/courses you could do.
Id speak to your 6th fom, but if its anything like my old one, they wouldnt let you do less then 3 a-levels.
Why dont you just carry on with your 3rd?
Reply 3
Original post by Emma:-)
I doubt you would get in with 2 a-levels.
There might be the odd course that would let you but if there was then you would be severely restricted in what unis/courses you could do.
Id speak to your 6th fom, but if its anything like my old one, they wouldnt let you do less then 3 a-levels.
Why dont you just carry on with your 3rd?

Because my exam board got switched and what I'm expected to do in my new course is ridiculous and unnecessary. It's also not at my sixth form, it's at another school and I'll be required to travel back and forth every break I get. I don't think it's worth it :frown: I also suffer from social anxiety and this change hasn't been so great on my mental health, sigh
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rmmx
Because my exam board got switched and what I'm expected to do in my new course is ridiculous and unnecessary. It's also not at my sixth form, it's at another school and I'll be required to travel back and forth every break I get. I don't think it's worth it :frown:

Couldnt you carry on with one of your other AS's?
If not then you might have to just carry on with the one you wanted to drop.
****e Uni's, like Middlesex and Southbank, would accept you even if you only got EE
Reply 6
Original post by Emma:-)
Couldnt you carry on with one of your other AS's?
If not then you might have to just carry on with the one you wanted to drop.

The 4th AS is the one I got a D in and that was with a lot of work so that's no option either. I guess I'll just have to get on with it
Original post by rmmx

Possible, but very unlikely. Very few universities accept two, but their probably the unis that aren't that great, and you'd be seriously limiting your choice of uni. Majority ask for three A2s or so many UCAS points from three A2s.

Perhaps see if your college will allow you to switch from Photography to one of your other AS subjects?
Reply 8
Original post by KittKatt
Possible, but very unlikely. Very few universities accept two, but their probably the unis that aren't that great, and you'd be seriously limiting your choice of uni. Majority ask for three A2s or so many UCAS points from three A2s.

Perhaps see if your college will allow you to switch from Photography to one of your other AS subjects?

My other AS subjects were an EPQ which is only an AS subject and accounts which I fail at terribly so there is no option of switching I'm afraid
Original post by rmmx
My other AS subjects were an EPQ which is only an AS subject and accounts which I fail at terribly so there is no option of switching I'm afraid

Original post by rmmx

So what other subject did you do if you did five at AS? Sociology, Psychology, Photography, EPQ and ???

Also, being allowed to drop down to two A2s is entirely up to the college you're at, they may insist upon you doing three. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by KittKatt
So what other subject did you do if you did five at AS? Sociology, Psychology, Photography, EPQ and ???

Also, being allowed to drop down to two A2s is entirely up to the college you're at, they may insist upon you doing three. :smile:

and Accounts lol, I did mention it above :smile: and yeah I don't know what I'm going to do, I'll have to think it through!
Original post by rmmx
and Accounts lol, I did mention it above :smile: and yeah I don't know what I'm going to do, I'll have to think it through!

Ah, OK, sorry! It's always an option to do that if you really don't want to do Photography. :smile:
Yeah, perhaps just speak to your college too, see what they say! :smile:

Good luck though!
You won't get into the top unis eith 2 a-levels. Try and do a 3rd one somehow. Take photography or pick up a new AS.

Quick Reply

Latest