The Student Room Group

Would you call this racist?

Question answered the student room mods wont delete please ignore thread
(edited 8 years ago)
...why would you consider this "racism" though?
How is that racist? They want information to be provided in a format that is familiar and predictable to them so that it can be processed quickly and efficiently. Did this letter include your NHS number for example? In fact, how do they even know the letter is valid?
Reply 3
Original post by Mimsycrafts
I submitted a letter to sfe from a doctors in thailand and it has been rejected as it isnt written (and i quote) in the style of the NHS

Surely its kinda racist to expect the whole world to do things exactly the same as england? Or would you describe it as something else.

Fyi the letter is well written, in english, clear and concise.

No youre clutching at straws here and I consider myself a very politically correct person.
They probably get fraudulent letters hence why they are so picky about format.
Original post by ByEeek
How is that racist? They want information to be provided in a format that is familiar and predictable to them so that it can be processed quickly and efficiently. Did this letter include your NHS number for example? In fact, how do they even know the letter is valid?

It includes, name, dob, address etc and is on headed paper.

Like i said its well written nd they have called and confirmed it is a valid letter from a valid doctor.
Original post by pmprin
No youre clutching at straws here and I consider myself a very politically correct person.
They probably get fraudulent letters hence why they are so picky about format.

As above they have confirmed its not fraudulant.
Absolutely not. When SFE funding is coming from the British public purse they can ask for whatever they want. You want something from them, you play by their rules.

The letter could be missing a stamp, signature, address, registration number or accreditation for all we know.

Did you even ask for a more detailed explanation of the rejection before you jumped to the conclusion it could be racist?
Original post by zippity.doodah
...why would you consider this "racism" though?

I dont think racist is the right word hence my questioning it. But surely its not right to enforce british beliefa on the whole world.
Original post by Duncan2012
Absolutely not. When SFE funding is coming from the British public purse they can ask for whatever they want. You want something from them, you play by their rules.

The letter could be missing a stamp, signature, address, registration number or accreditation for all we know.

Did you even ask for a more detailed explanation of the rejection before you jumped to the conclusion it could be racist?

Yes i did. And i havent jumped to the conclusion of racist

It has been authenticated as not fraudulant.
I submitted a letter to sfe from a doctors in thailand and it has been rejected as it isnt written (and i quote) in the style of the NHS

Surely its kinda racist to expect the whole world to do things exactly the same as england? Or would you describe it as something else.

Fyi the letter is well written, in english, clear and concise.

No

If they expect them to be done in the style of the NHS then asking for this is not 'racist'

Or are you saying expecting certain standards is now racist?
But surely its not right to enforce british beliefa on the whole world.

Did this happen in Thailand?
Yes i did. And i havent jumped to the conclusion of racist

It has been authenticated as not fraudulant.

Just because something isn't fraudulent doesn't mean that it isn't missing some information or is in a wrong format.

Without knowing the reason for the letter or what SFE have said there's no point speculating on here.
Well thanks everyone for your opinion. Like insaid i wasnt sure if it was racist so it isnt.
I dont think racist is the right word hence my questioning it. But surely its not right to enforce british beliefa on the whole world.

This isn't about enforcing British beliefs (whatever they are) on the whole world, it is about asking someone to provide information in a manner compatible with NHS systems and procedures.

If you travel to China, you need a visa. The visa application form is pretty specific. If you don't fill it in correctly you don't get a visa. Are we suggesting the Chinese are trying to force their beliefs (whatever they are) on the rest of the world?
I suggest that you research the meaning of racist.
Hey, thought I would feedback on this as it created a lot of friction. Following appeal the SFE apologised for their inappropriate handling of the situation and advised that their employee was incorrect to not take into account the differences in how other countries process information- it turns out that they had rejected it as my birth date was put at May 15 1994 (not my actually dob but yswim) and that is how in Thailand it is recorded as it is in many other places around the world.

Thank you for your advice with how to approach it- like I said at the time I wasn't sure racist was the right word but there treatment was wrong.
Hey, thought I would feedback on this as it created a lot of friction. Following appeal the SFE apologised for their inappropriate handling of the situation and advised that their employee was incorrect to not take into account the differences in how other countries process information- it turns out that they had rejected it as my birth date was put at May 15 1994 (not my actually dob but yswim) and that is how in Thailand it is recorded as it is in many other places around the world.

Thank you for your advice with how to approach it- like I said at the time I wasn't sure racist was the right word but there treatment was wrong.

Cool. Glad it worked out. Hopefully that person was fired.
You poor bugger :frown:

Spoiler

Quick Reply