The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This thread is helping me so much with my revision. Thanks.
Reply 81
Everyone who is appreciating this thread in their revision - thank you, and you're very welcome :biggrin:
Reply 82
A big thankyou,this thread id great!:smile:
Reply 83
I will put some more stuff up real soon. I have some essential quotes that are matched to the four topics, and I will do some flow diagrams for the economics :wink: Hope everyone's revision is going well!
This thread is fantasic, im from Belfast, and ive photocopied everything for my class and teachers, they think think its fantasic so your doing a fantastic job. hopefully new stuff comes soon
Reply 85
miceandmen
Can anyone help me with these unit two questions?

Examine two benefits to Smile Magazines Ltd of using internal recruitment to recruit more staff
-Should improve motivation- employees may work harder if there is the prospect of promotion
-Reduces advertising costs- No need to advertise the vacancy in expensive media forms
-Employees will know the company- The way it runs for example. The employee should settle into their new job far quicker than if someone from outside the company was being recruited.
-Smile will know the employee already- No risk of recruiting a worker who may upset the pleasant working environment that Smile currently possesses.

Leah implemented a traditional hierarchy based on functional divisions. (see fig 1) Analyse two benefits the company might experience as a result of implementing this organizational structure.
Functional divisions- This is just a posh term for departments- for example Sales and operations.
-Employees will become specialized in a particular field- For example if a worker is doing the same job in the printing department, they are going to gain a much higher level of expertise than one of the reporters actually writing the magazine. In the printing department, this leads to the risk of machinery breaking being reduced- The machine is more likely to break if someone who has never used it before is operating it, than someone who uses it every day.
-Much easier to manage- If the whole business is just one giant department, communication will be much harder; the streamlined nature of the business is lost.

Polar Plc and Leah insisted that employees received training. Discuss the benefits that Smile Magazines Ltd may have received as a result of this.
Training aims at improving current skills to make the employee more efficient at doing an existing job, or giving them extra skills enabling them to do a larger variety of jobs.
The first will improve the overall efficiency of the business- In the printing department for example, less chance of waste being created. Lowers costs, increases profits.
Second will enable workers to switch jobs every so often- Job variation- Motivates them, increases productivity, lowers costs, increases profits.
Will also enable workers to cover for absent colleagues. Saves costs, and keeps productivity relatively stable, as outside temporary cover will not have to be sourced- Temporary cover would cost money, as well as taking time to settle in, thus reducing efficiency/ productivity.
Explain two possible problems to Smile Magazines Ltd of introducing a system of quality assurance.

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages to Smile Magazines Ltd of using kaizen groups.
Kaizen groups means continuous improvement in Japaneses. These are groups that sit down with each other and look at ways of improving the production process-usually in the form of cutting out waste.
Advantages include
- Reduces cost of production by means of reducing waste- increases profit margins.
- Employees talk about the work with each other- Everyone else within the group gains an incite into that particular area of work. Understanding the overall process usually helps when trying minimizing waste.
-Employees in the group feel they are being listened to and that their thoughts/ideas count. This motivates them which again increases productivity, decreases costs, increases profits

Disadvantages include
-Takes up time. Jemery heads one of the groups which obviously takes a great deal to organize/action any ideas put forward. This time could be spent elsewhere. For example looking for new ways to exploit new potential target markets.
-Employees within the group may disagree on ways to improve. Causes tension between them, which inevitably demotivates the group.

Have started some answers but any help would be great!:smile: :smile:

Hope this helps
Reply 86
Thanks for those answers :biggrin: I will post them on the front page...
Reply 87
Is it compulsory to apply the following answers in order to gain full marks:

Question
4. Following the agreement with Polar plc, Jeremy’s business became a private limited company. Explain two differences between a sole trader business and a private limited company. (6 marks)

For example, is an answer containing the following only capable of a maximum of 3 marks because it hasn't been applied to a "specific business aspect of the firm, its management or its situation"?

Answer
- Sole trader has UNLIMITED LIABILITY meaning Jeremy is responsible for all debts incurred by the running of the business, whereas...
- Private limited company has LIMITED LIABILITY meaning Jeremy's personal assets are protected if the business was to fail with outstanding debts

- Sole traderships are owned and run by ONE PERSON, i.e. Jeremy, who would be responsible for all decisions regarding aims, objectives and strategies, whereas...
- Private limited companies are owned by SHAREHOLDERS so Jeremy would have to give up total control of his business

Great thread btw =)
Reply 88
Would this be sufficient for 15 marks if it was developed into a little more detail and put into continuous prose? If not, could you point out ways to improve?

3. Evaluate the possible consequences to Smile Magazines Ltd of allowing Sam to retain ownership of the copyright for his cartoons, and journalists to retain ownership of the copyright of the articles they provide (Section C, para 3). (15 marks)

- Content: Definition of Copyright

- Content: Sam and journalists may REFUSE TO PROVIDE FURTHER WORK until they're given ownership of copyright
- Analysis: SM Ltd may find it DIFFICULT TO OBTAIN EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS to other cartoonist’s and journalist’s work without paying a great deal more - cutting into profits and reducing dividends

- Content: By allowing them ownership JEREMY WOULD BE MEETING HIS AIM to “improve the independence of the workforce”
- Analysis: Jeremy’s TRUST IN THEM WOULD MOST LIKELY BE REWARDED WITH LOYALTY In terms of Herzberg's two-factor theory, they would also be motivated by the independence they have been given

- Evaluation: Sam is unlikely to supply competitor magazines with his cartoons because he has been with the company since its conception and has also become a shareholder of SM Ltd. He would therefore feel a strong sense of loyalty to SM Ltd, and obviously have a key interest in its success receiving dividends on profits made.

Thanks
Reply 89
For you first question, you could make sure of the six marks by quoting a specific situation. For example, in the shareholder bit, say that Jeremy gave away total control by offering part ownership to Kate, Sam and Polar.

- Content: Sam and journalists may REFUSE TO PROVIDE FURTHER WORK until they're given ownership of copyright
- Analysis: SM Ltd may find it DIFFICULT TO OBTAIN EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS to other cartoonist’s and journalist’s work without paying a great deal more - cutting into profits and reducing dividends

- Evaluation: Sam is unlikely to supply competitor magazines with his cartoons because he has been with the company since its conception and has also become a shareholder of SM Ltd. He would therefore feel a strong sense of loyalty to SM Ltd, and obviously have a key interest in its success – receiving dividends on profits made.

This bit isn't relevant to the question. It's asking what are the consequences of ALLOWING Sam and the journalists to have the copyright. So for example, you could talk about saving on legal costs by passing them on to Sam should the copyright be infringed. As an evaluative point, you could talk about the dangers of Sam being drawn away from Smile if someone offered to buy the rights from him, so Smile has less control.
Reply 90
RJA
For you first question, you could make sure of the six marks by quoting a specific situation. For example, in the shareholder bit, say that Jeremy gave away total control by offering part ownership to Kate, Sam and Polar.

Ah, that makes sense :smile:

RJA
This bit isn't relevant to the question. It's asking what are the consequences of ALLOWING Sam and the journalists to have the copyright. So for example, you could talk about saving on legal costs by passing them on to Sam should the copyright be infringed. As an evaluative point, you could talk about the dangers of Sam being drawn away from Smile if someone offered to buy the rights from him, so Smile has less control.

Thanks for that, probably saved me dropping a few marks there.
Reply 91
Some key quotes have been added for Human Resources, as that section was a little thin. There will be more key quotes for the other three topics soon :smile:

Is anyone here using the Tutor2u revision material?
Reply 92
http://www.apt-initiatives.com/

Look on the tope left aqa then the pre released case study thing, i have both ( worth 60 quid:O) my teacher gave me them :biggrin: there amazing and i really do suggest you get hold of them...i would scan them both but 1. my scanner is broke and 2. illegal (ahh i dont care lol) anyway they do inside out analysis of the case study and honestly for me...PRICELESS. I will read them thoroughly starting next week and if you need any help on any part of the case study (unit 2 or 3) do PM me am sure the answer is within these 2 booklets
Reply 93
Dis regard my above reply...ive just read that the resource is only available to teachers:frown:. Ask your teachers to get them:wink: Or just PM me with any problems..and btw RAJ your explinations are great! Are you currently doing Bus A2 or are you past that stage?

Regards
The apt-initiatives stuff is already freely available on this forum.

£60 is way too expensive for what they produce.

I much prefer the Oxbow material - www.oxbow.org.uk as that is constantly updated so the material just gets more and more.

I also like the free revision classes run on the internet at www.osl-ltd.co.uk as people have passed the entire A level there with a grade A (that's AS AND A2) after just four weeks - and it's all free.

I like free stuff, I do...
Reply 95
no1topman: I'm still doing AS btw! I did really well at GCSE Business, which (for some reason) actually covers more than AS, and goes into A2 material. I have also done quite a bit of other reading (I plan on reading Drucker in full at some point) cos it really is one of my main interests :wink:
There's a Drucker book here:

http://www.oxbow.org.uk/php/shop.php

and all the revenue goes to charity
Reply 97
guys can you please help me out i'm stck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
to what extent was the leadership of Leah and Jeremy responsible for the success of the Smile Magazine Ltd?
Reply 98
Done. Check PMs. Meh, I might as well put it up here as well:

TO WHAT EXTENT WAS THE LEADERSHIP STYLE OF JEREMY AND LEAH RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SUCCESS OF SMILE MAGAZINES LTD

First off, I would describe their leadership styles.
Jeremy is democratic, which means he genuinely takes on board what workers have to say, and believes in delegation, consulation, fairness and equality.

Leah has a stricter, more autocratic leadership style, as she believes in the Taylorite methods of piecework and clear instructions. She believes in telling workers what to do without significant consultation.

Then, go on to say why each of these leadership styles can help the business succeed.
Jeremy's democratic, laissez-faire style of management is well suited to Smile's creative workers. For example, journalists and artists would appreciate a working environment where they are given a large amount of freedom, and they are not dictated too. Smile is more likely to receive quality work from these people in a democratic environment.

Leah's autocratic style is better suited to manual, semi-skilled workers like the printers. The job may require the printers to follow a strict routine, with strict rules, that need to be enforced by a strict manager. They may not be suited to extra responsibility, and may prefer to be given clear instructions as to what to do.

Then, come to a conclusion:
It is the combination of these two leadership styles that make Smile successful, as it is a business with two clearly different types of worker.

And an evaluation:
However, these two leadership styles are so different, that conflict may occur, which may damage the success of the company. Jeremy may not be happy with the way Leah is treating the printers, and vice versa. So the overall success depends on the relationship and tolerance between Jeremy and Leah
Reply 99
My teacher was saying today that it was almost a dead cert that we will get a question regarding the future of the company and what oppourtunities are avaliable to them.

This will mean usuing the economic data and doing a SWOT.

Latest

Trending

Trending