The Student Room Group

Anyone know about phone contracts?

My contract comes to an end on April 28th, I pay £33.00/month currently and I'm happy with the phone as it is, I don't fancy upgrading.

If I don't upgrade, will what I pay be any cheaper? I get unlimited minutes, texts and 5GB data with O2 and have £160.08 to pay if I wanted to upgrade today, if that means anything...

Basically, can I keep the handset and just pay for the minutes, texts and data? I might even downgrade the data to 1/2GB because I never use it
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by LukeyJB
My contract comes to an end on April 28th, I pay £33.00/month currently and I'm happy with the phone as it is, I don't fancy upgrading.

If I don't upgrade, will what I pay be any cheaper? I get unlimited minutes, texts and 5GB data with O2 and have £160.08 to pay if I wanted to upgrade today, if that means anything...

It will remain at £33 after the contract expires, unfortunately. The deal was made to include the price of the phone. Thats one of the incentives to get you to upgrade, others wise you would keep the same deal if it got cheaper automatically, once the phone was paid for. If you are happy with the handset, you could get a SIMO deal, which would be cheaper as you would not need to pay for a new phone over the course of another 24 months.

You could probably get a SIMO with the same minutes text and data for around 20+ quid.
Reply 2
Original post by TwinnyP
It will remain at £33 after the contract expires, unfortunately. The deal was made to include the price of the phone. Thats one of the incentives to get you to upgrade, others wise you would keep the same deal if it got cheaper automatically, once the phone was paid for. If you are happy with the handset, you could get a SIMO deal, which would be cheaper as you would not need to pay for a new phone over the course of another 24 months.

You could probably get a SIMO with the same minutes text and data for around 20+ quid.

Could I move to SIMO and then go back on to the contract and upgrade at a later date?
Reply 3
Original post by LukeyJB
Could I move to SIMO and then go back on to the contract and upgrade at a later date?

You can get a 12 month SIMO, which would lock you in for another 12 months. Or get a rolling 30 day SIMO. Which lets you upgrade whenever you want. So if your phone broke you could upgrade straight away to a new 24 month contract with a new phone. And drop the 30 day SIMO.

If that makes sense? :lol:

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/simplicity/#/tariffs

If you click that link it has 30 days and 12 month Sim onlys. Just to give you an idea :yy:
Reply 4
Original post by TwinnyP
You can get a 12 month SIMO, which would lock you in for another 12 months. Or get a rolling 30 day SIMO. Which lets you upgrade whenever you want. So if your phone broke you could upgrade straight away to a new 24 month contract with a new phone. And drop the 30 day SIMO.

If that makes sense? :lol:

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/simplicity/#/tariffs

If you click that link it has 30 days and 12 month Sim onlys. Just to give you an idea :yy:

Yeah it makes sense, I'll probably just pay off the remainder of the contract and then go on SIMO, I'm not fussed unless my phone breaks tbh.
Reply 5
Use giffgaff for simonly!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending